HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   High Cholesterol (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-cholesterol/)
-   -   Total Cholesterol lowered from 262 to 148 in 11 weeks (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-cholesterol/944175-total-cholesterol-lowered-262-148-11-weeks.html)

DietCanDoIt 03-26-2013 12:28 PM

Total Cholesterol lowered from 262 to 148 in 11 weeks

Diet can do it. Maybe not for everyone, but if you are willing to improve your diet and exercise some, you can dramatically reduce your cholesterol.

I went from a very bad diet high in saturated fats, cholesterol and processed foods to a diet very low in saturated fates and cholesterol and much more natural.

I went from never working out to working out 5 times a week for 45-60 minutes.

My cholesterol numbers from Jan 10 of this year:
Triglycerides 96 (<150)
Total Cholesterol 262 (125-200)
HDL 47 (>40)
LDL 196 (<130)
CHOL to HDLC 5.6 (<=5.0)

Results from my follow up test today on 3/26/2013.
Triglycerides 80 (<150)
Total Cholesterol 148 (125-200) [B]Over a 40% drop[/B]
HDL 37 (>40)
LDL 95 (<130) [B]Over a 50% drop[/B]
CHOL to HDLC 4.0 (<=5.0)

My basic daily routine for accomplishing this without medication was:

M, W, F - Work out 1 hour (30 mins cardio and 30 mins resistance)
Tu, Th - Work out 45 mins of cardio

After the workout, I would have a protein shake with 1 banana, 1/8 cup blueberries. Total calories in the shake were under 300.

Lunch would be 1 cup of Quaker Oatmeal cooked. I would add a gram of cinnamon, tablespoon of local honey, and a banana. Total calories were under 600.

Dinner would usually consist of something that would be appropriate for the Mediterranean diet. We ate fish 2-3 times a week. I allowed myself to have thin crust veggie pizza once every 2 weeks. In the weeks I didn't have pizza, I indulged in some other "regular" meal once a week.

When I really needed fast food, I had Subway Ham and Turkey (no cheese) with green vegetables and yellow mustard. I also had a couple of grilled sandwiches from McDonald's and Chick Fil A (no mayo).

My "regular" meal that I had each week would still be under 20 grams of saturated fat.

On an average day my diet would have 18% fat, 60% carbs and 22% protein. Saturated Fat would be approximately 6% of my total.

Cholesterol would be around 165 mg.

Fiber was about 35 grams.

I cut out dairy completely. Almond milk replaced the skim milk I had been drinking.

I was able to do this by not eating out unless I knew the nutritional information in the meal. I probably ate out 3 times and went to 2 parties during this 11 week period. Eating out and parties make it very hard to track what you are eating.

My pre January 10th routine was as bad diet and exercise wise as this diet is good.

I know everyone is different. Some people cannot lower their cholesterol without the assistance of medication. However, if you haven't tried to manage with diet, you may be surprised how much better you can do. The change can be dramatic and quick.

rosequartz 03-26-2013 12:48 PM

Re: Total Cholesterol lowered from 262 to 148 in 11 weeks

great job!
:angel:

DietCanDoIt 03-26-2013 01:03 PM

Thank you. Tracking your food with a smartphone app is so valuable to know you are staying within limits.

Dottydog 03-26-2013 01:36 PM

Wow, well done.

yackedar 03-27-2013 12:25 PM

Well done,

It's strange that when LDL is lowered dramatically, HDL decreases also. I've seen this time and time again.
However, your HDL has dropped dramatically and is now probably small in particle size.

Sorry to sound a little negative, but having a low HDL count is medically worse than having elevated LDL. This is because there aren't the required amount of particles to 'mop up' the circulating LDL.

Having high LDL does not mean anything, as there are type 'A' and type 'B' LDL particles. Type 'B' being small are three times more likely to attach themselves to artery walls than type 'A' particles. I remember reading somewhere that having a Triglyceride level below 60mg/dl promotes larger LDL particles.

Coming back to the HDL. I'm surprised that the amount of exercise you are now doing has dropped your HDL by ~21%...WOW, that is a huge drop....and bad.

Today, cholesterol ratio figures are used for determining the development of CHD within 10 years. ie: TC/HDL, LDL/HDL and Trigs/HDL.
As you can see, every ratio is computed with the so called 'good' cholesterol, so therefore the higher the HDL the better the ratios.

Now that you have reduced the so called 'baddies', you should look into regaining or even bettering your original HDL level.
Only consume good fats: Mono-unsaturated and poly-unsaturated.
Whole grains. ie. oatmeal, oat bran and whole-wheat.
Look into consuming Omega '3' (EPA and DHA on a 2:1 ratio totalling ~1gm daily) and cutting out Omega '6' and at the same time look into taking 100% pure Krill oil. (500mg).
If the two oils fail to increase your HDL to an acceptable level, you may need to move onto high doses of Vitamin 'B3'.

Well done once again with the 'baddies', but not so well done with the 'goody'.

ps: If you look at the most important ratio, the Trigs/HDL then your initial one was 2.04 and the latest 2.16. Hardly any difference.

Yack.

DietCanDoIt 03-27-2013 12:42 PM

Thanks Yack,

I was concerned about the HDL issues also. I am just starting to research what adjustments need to happen with my diet to get the HDL back up a little. I am not sure I can translate your advice on the oils to my meals. Which foods does that translate too having more or less of?

I have done some reading on foods to increase the HDL and think I should add some eggs back into my diet. We have backyard chickens and they eat an organic feed which should make the cholesterol content of the yolk lower than grocery store eggs.

I also think I cut my total fat calorie % down too much. I need to get those percents back near 30% of daily calories without adding to the saturated and trans fats. I love having almonds as snacks. Looks like I get to have a couple of handfuls instead of just one. :)

Any other suggestions and I would be happy to consider them.

yackedar 03-27-2013 12:50 PM

I've just modified my post to you so please read all references to HDL again.

Yack.

yackedar 03-27-2013 01:21 PM

On the oils.
What is the best known healthy diet in the world?
Mediterranean diet and it contains heaps of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Omega '3' rich fish. HDL levels are high in Greece and Italy....also in the Eskimos'.
Try and use this type of olive oil for frying and with your salads, and use olive oil based margarine on your 'brown' bread sandwiches.

Yack.

DietCanDoIt 03-27-2013 01:29 PM

So it looks like if I want to cut out my Omega 6 and increase my Omega 3, having more fat and eggs might not be the best way to do it.

We are already cooking with extra virgin olive oil. Only real problem I see with my diet is the fish I am eating isn't the kind that is best for Omega 3. We have done a lot of cod, tilapia, hake and flounder. We haven't had much salmon, tuna, trout or other really high omega 3 fish.

I guess I will need to look at taking a supplement. I took a little fish oil during my 11 week diet, but I wasn't very compliant and skipped taking it most days. I will look into the Krill oil.

Do you think krill oil is better than fish oil?

babygirl127 04-02-2013 11:44 AM

That is awesome. I agree with better diet and exercise you can do it. Me and my husband have. To all the people that say it can't be done, it can be. Some people are not trying hard enough and rather eat junk and just take a pill. I don't agree with that. I increased my fish oil to 2 a day and just got blood work done today, so we will see if going from one to 2 a day made a difference. I have heard krill oil is good. Keep up the great work.