It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #1
(male)

Milkisforbabies HB User
Smile Success -

So 6 weeks ago I got some ****** cholesterol results and absolutely freaked out. I read everything I could about what causes cholesterol to be raised and prayed like all hell that I didn't have genetically high cholesterol that couldn't be fixed without going on statins.

My old bloods were:

Total: 224
Triglycerides: 274
HDL: 33.6
LDL: 135 (possibly inaccurate due to such high trigs)

My new bloods are:

Total: 112
Triglycerides: 44
HDL 39.8
LDL: 61

So what did I change???

Declaring war on triglycerides
I cut all high glycemic carbs and ate no sugar or processed carbs for 6 weeks. I also reduced total carbs to under 45% of total calories. My aim here was to reduce my triglycerides which are the easiest to reduce and can increase the total cholesterol and bring down HDL. I also increased cardio by doing 30 minutes 6 days a week on top of my 4 days a week weight training.

Nutrition and weight loss
I've also lost 10kg, I did this by cutting total calories to under 2000 a day. My daily feed was:

Meal 1
Half cup (raw) oatmeal
Half diced apple
Tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup oat bran

Meal 2
1 large can of tuna or salmon or 200grm chicken
Half cup (raw) brown rice

Meal 3
Lite yoghurt
Walnuts or Almonds

Meal 4
250grm chicken or 200grm salmon (fresh)
2 cups frozen mixed veges
25 grm Pro active margarine (has cholesterol block sterols in it)

I also took 4x 1000mg fish oil tablets a day
1x sterol supplement (1000mg)
Cut all caffeine (plunger coffee rises cholesterol and I was drinking 5+ a day)
Drank at least 5x cups of green tea a day
Took 3 table spoons of Metamucil a day
Had zero cheat meals

I realise this diet is pretty limited and unsustainable, but I will run bloods again once I've increased my calories to fit my BMR again and see how they fare. For me it was all about the carbs...too much late night binging on crackers, cheese and biscuits.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milkisforbabies For This Useful Post:
maricuyita (05-14-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2013, 05:39 AM   #2
(female)

TerraT HB User
Re: Success -

Hi, this is very interesting, I didn't realize you could change it so quickly, congratulations to you. I just found out that I have really low cholesterol and I have for years when I look back on old labs I just didn't know it was a problem til recently so that made me check into the past. I eat fairly decent but my diet did consist of alot of cheese and I also took the higher doses of fish oil because I know its healthy not knowing that lowering the cholesterol more was a problem for me. My labs were Hdl 43, Ldl 41, total cholesterol 106 and triglicerides 109. Ive stopped the fish oil, started taking a whole foods supplement, its 17 fruits and vegetables. Also cut back on cheese a little. I've started eating some dark chocolate, drinking grape or cranberry juice. Eating an egg or almond butter on a whole wheat bagel for breakfast and drinking a beer in the evening as these are all suppose to raise hdl. I have been walking 30 mins either on the treadmill or in the neighborhood only a couple days a week as this is all I have time for. Do you have any suggestions on anything else that would help? Im 41 years old and apparently have had low cholesterol for a long time. I've read things that say low is just as bad as high and I just hope that It hasn't done too much damage yet. Thank you

Old 04-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
(male)

Milkisforbabies HB User

Eat more calories than your body needs. I pretend to be a weight lifter so was trying to bulk and ate about 3000- 4000 calories a day and I think that's what pushed me over so much. I know these rezults seem a bit too good to be true but my diet directly before my first test was really bad for 2 weeks and from the day I got my results it's been the polar opposite. I must have read every post on this forum relating to triglycerides.

Last edited by Milkisforbabies; 04-18-2013 at 05:57 AM.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
(female)

TerraT HB User

Ok, yes I have been eating more than usual and like you I think I've read everything their is online about cholesterol. Only thing with eating so many more calories is I don't wanna gain weight lol. Ive been doing this the last couple weeks and so far I've actually dropped 2lbs, don't know how that happened haha...Thanks and good luck to you

Old 04-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
(male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User

Ummmmm!!

It is not unusual for body builders to have unusual levels of Cholesterol.

I cant see anything there that would produce such a dramatic change within six weeks.
I agree, Trig's are the easiest lipid to lower and maintain and can be accomplished within a couple of weeks with Omega3 EPA/DHA supplementation, no bad fats etc.

With such dramatic changes to LDL and Trigs your HDL level has actually gone up, whereas it would normally go down.

Yack.

Last edited by yackedar; 04-18-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
(male)

Milkisforbabies HB User

I did fast before the first test, but my diet the last 3-4 days before it were a bit shocking. The night before I ate about half a roast chicken with roast potatoes and had 2 big pieces of cheese cake. I'm not sure how that would have effected it but I wouldn't normally eat like that. Anyway I just hope the second set of results are ok...will re test in 6 weeks again to make sure.

Reply Reply