It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013, 06:32 AM   #1
(male)

JimOp HB User
the woes of government healthcare.

Ok this will be a bit of a story but here goes.

I am a disabled vet after desert storm I got out of the military. I have upper and lower back issues knees hearing among other issues I have. because i am 40% disabled the VA is my primary health care giver.

A couple years back, i was diagnosed with high triglycerides being around 450. I was told to change my diet quit smoking get more exercise and take these pills.. (i forget what ones)

the meds where working fine and I was good for over a year after that but my prescription ran out about 3 months ago. i called and called and left voice mails and yesterday i finally got in to see my VA doctor. my triglycerides where back where they started around 440 something, having not taking my meds in three months. so now she is changing my meds dispite the fact i have not been taking my meds at all, to a different type upping the dosage.. because in her eyes they where not working.

Now i realllllly dislike this Dr, but i do not have a choice in the matter. she does not listen to anything. she tells me i have to stay off ice cream, cookies, sweets and basicly all the stuff i never eat. I tried to tell her i don't eat that stuff.. she just said well what ever you are eating is not working... you're getting fat.

I am med frame 5'8" 165 pounds and grant it i could loose 10 or 20 pound a few pounds but i am not exactly fat. Exercise is difficult because of my back issues if i strain my back exercising i am laid up for 3 weeks in pain but i never even got to speak to her about the back issues i was in and out of her office in less then 5 min. she didn't listen to my heart or inquire about how i am doing...

I am a little distressed about it all...

What complicated things even more so was earlier in the labs, they where taking blood. 5 vials the nurse was trying to fill but after the 3rd vile no more blood was coming and she wanted to do another stick someplace else.

One thing I found strange was she kept the wrap they use to make your veins stick out, on and tight.
She removed the needle and then almost immediately after she released the wrap, I passed out cold.

Having never passed out from giving blood , now they want to do a whole series of tests to see why. Words like diabetes and anemia were what I woke up to when i was coming too on the other side of the building in the ER room bed.

I don't really know what to think now .. but thats my story.

Last edited by JimOp; 07-31-2013 at 06:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: the woes of government healthcare.

I understand the VA health system and it's shortcomings. My husband had to deal with them after 30 years of service in the Army. You really need to be your own advocate. If you feel the doctor did not listen to you, talk with a customer service rep. Perhaps they can get you an appointment with another doctor. Your high triglycerides could be from too many carbs. They don't have to be sweets. Breads, pasta, rice and a lot of fruits, and beer/alcohol can raise triglycerides. If you can bring the numbers down without meds you'll be much better off in the long run. They probably had you on a statin drug. Many of them cause pain and fatigue. Hope all your blood tests turn out ok

Reply Reply