It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2003, 06:06 PM   #1

fuz HB User
Unhappy weird, fuzzy, disoriented,light-headed, dizzy

About 6 months ago I went to the Dr. about this weird feeling I get sometimes. It's very hard to explain, he asked if I felt light-headed and I said no, more like dizzy. The more I think about it though, the more I realize,maybe I do feel light-headed. A couple times I felt like I would pass out, and I was slightly naseaous once, and I just feel weird. I feel kinda disorented and sort of in a dream like state. It happens sometimes every day and lasts all day or maybe just a few minutes. Sometimes nothing will happen for months and then its back. All my blood tests are good, and I am otherwize in good shape, except for slightly high cholesterol, which I am working on. I am just wondering if anyone else has had symptoms like this and possibly what they are from? It's becoming slightly troubling as it has stopped me from going out and doing things a number of times becuase I was scared I might fall over or throw up.

Thanks for your help
Fuz

Last edited by fuz; 11-28-2003 at 06:06 PM.

Old 11-29-2003, 06:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User
Re: weird, fuzzy, disoriented,light-headed, dizzy

Are you stressed out? Stress can cause all kinds of problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2003, 03:29 PM   #3

fuz HB User

Not particularly, I have been more stressed in my life than I am right now. Things are actually going fairly well, so I am not sure that it is stress.

Old 11-30-2003, 01:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

FUZ- When I was in my mid-thirties, I went through a couple of years of feeling lightheaded, "dizzy-ish", just weird.
I felt not "grounded", unsteady, even though my gait was perfect. I always felt "tippy", like I MIGHT lose my balance, but never did.
One of the best descriptions I could come up with was a feeling of "sea-legs", as if I'd just stepped off a boat. The earth seemed to be moving underneath me inappropriately.
Regular doc ran a battery of tests, all bloods and urine normal. Neurologist gave me a thorough work-up and found all systems A-Okay.
I had a brain scan and tomographies of my inner ear...eveything normal.
The sensations alone made me fearful and anxious and exacerbated everything.
It was a vicious cycle. The sensations lead to fear which lead to more feelings of "tippiness" which lead to even more anxiety and on and on.

Low doses of tranquillizers helped and I also saw a therapist for a while who helped calm me enormously, because by this time I was sure I had some occult disease that everyone had missed. Along the way, I discovered I had some pretty important issues in my life that I was avoiding which I really hadn't been aware of.

The bottom line is that eventually the symptoms subsided and then disappeared entirely.
Not saying that your symptoms are psychological, but you should know that lightheadness is a common sign of anger, depression,and anxiety. If you continue to feel lousy, see a neuro person, if for no other reason than to rule out things neurological and reassure you.

These symptoms sometimes appear for no apparent reason and disappear for no apparent reason!

zuzu xx

Old 12-01-2003, 06:26 AM   #5

Bugsy HB User
Red face Re: weird, fuzzy, disoriented,light-headed, dizzy

Hi guys! I've been having that fuzzy head feeling for about a year now. It usually happens when I get up from setting or laying down. I thought I was getting up too fast, but these days I don't move fast! I had been having pains in my left arm also extreme pressure in my upper back. I finally went to the so called doctor. I explained all of my symptoms but because I also have extreme heartburn everytime I eat or drink anything, she told me it was more of a stomach problem than a heart problem. I was concerned about my blood pressure, it was 140/90. I can lay down at night and have these waves of pressure and deafness that seem to be in my head. I told her about this also, but she said people don't know when they have high blood pressure. There are no symptoms. What causes the fuzzy pressure in my head? Do you think lack of estrogen can cause this? I had a TAH last Nov. and I'm not able to take HRT. I would really appreaciate any insight on this. Thanks!

Old 12-01-2003, 11:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Elevated blood pressure (unless very dangerously high) will not cause symptoms. 140/90 would not explain your head pressure symptoms.
Need a little info-
Are you taking blood pressure meds?
Was the 140/90 the # you got at the doctor's office?
If it's normal at home (do you monitor it yourself?) the 140/90 could have been a temporary spike known as "white-coat" hypertension, due to the anxiety of being in a doc's office. If your BP is usually 140/90 it needs to come down...but again, this elevation is not enough to cause symptoms.
The dizziness you feel when you change positions could be benign positional orthostatic hypotension, where your BP suddenly falls a bit too low and then in theory once you have settled into the new position, should right itself.
Are you saying that the sensation of fuzziness/head pressure continues even after you've "settled"?
Also did the doc give you anything for your persistant heartburn? This should be investigated thoroughly. Has she run any tests or referred you to a gastroenterologist?

Forgive me, but what is a TAH?

zuzu xx

Old 12-02-2003, 06:03 PM   #7

Bugsy HB User

Hi guys!
Thanks for the responses. My doctor just told me to take prilosec otc once a day for my heartburn. I'll try that. My main concern is my heart and my bp. Oh, TAH is total abdominal hsyterectomy. I had everything out. I tried to take the lowest dose of ERT, but it was causing headaches and leg cramps. I never could take birth control pills either because of the estrogen. I have gained weight since the hyst. Maybe that's causing the elevated bp. I think I need to find another doc. I've been taking Paxil off and on for a few years now and it seems that whenever I go to the doctor with a complaint, they think it's all due to " my depression" Their answer is to up my dosage for awhile . I need to go to a larger town with more choices for doctors and not even tell them that I've been on antidepressants. Maybe they won't look at me like I'm just crazy and really listen to me! I don't know, it's really aggravating!Thank you both for listening to me and giving me advice. That's more than my doctor seemed to do for me. Evelyn

Old 12-04-2003, 06:08 PM   #8

fuz HB User
Thumbs up Re: weird, fuzzy, disoriented,light-headed, dizzy

I think that what you just said sums up my symptoms perfectly. I am more than willing to see if this is Psychological becuase I have the same problem *** you said, of getting anxious becuase I feel like I am going to pass out and then it snowballs. When I feel fuzzy I start to panic, but when I try to calm myself down I have to think about it and then I realize its not going away. Sometimes I'll be in a mall and get the weird felling, then I'll say to myself I have to get out of here and go home or I am going to pass out. Sometimes I say to myself, no you are fine, and I won't leave, I will contimue to do what I set out to do, but it just gets worse, I have to stop and take a deep breath and then I usually have to cut my plans short.

Your reply has been very helpful, I think you understand completely what I am going through.

Old 12-04-2003, 06:23 PM   #9

willsmom HB User

[QUOTE=zuzu8]FUZ- When I was in my mid-thirties, I went through a couple of years of feeling lightheaded, "dizzy-ish", just weird.
I felt not "grounded", unsteady, even though my gait was perfect. I always felt "tippy", like I MIGHT lose my balance, but never did.
One of the best descriptions I could come up with was a feeling of "sea-legs", as if I'd just stepped off a boat. The earth seemed to be moving underneath me inappropriately.
Regular doc ran a battery of tests, all bloods and urine normal. Neurologist gave me a thorough work-up and found all systems A-Okay.
I had a brain scan and tomographies of my inner ear...eveything normal.
The sensations alone made me fearful and anxious and exacerbated everything.
It was a vicious cycle. The sensations lead to fear which lead to more feelings of "tippiness" which lead to even more anxiety and on and on.

Low doses of tranquillizers helped and I also saw a therapist for a while who helped calm me enormously, because by this time I was sure I had some occult disease that everyone had missed. Along the way, I discovered I had some pretty important issues in my life that I was avoiding which I really hadn't been aware of.

PLEASE REPLY!!!!!!

Oh my lord,

This is what is wrong with me!! its so frightening! may I ask did you actually feel like your balance was off and like to steady yourself. I get that same the ground is moving thing too under my feet - its so scary!! I can get myself all into a state and I am at the stage where I dont want to go out incase it gets worse. I have also had this vile feeling that i am going to pass ot but never do. Like you I am so SCARED of the symptoms I am in a vicious cycle too. i am seeing a neuro this month and am praying for some answers. i have had an mri which is fine. I have had a posturograph tests too which shows that my balance is not normal for my age and indicates some inner ear issue. But its weird my symptoms are there 24/7 were yours? and did you find that they vary in intensity? how did you feel if you stood still? could you feel movement?So funny bout the occult disease that is sooooo where I am at with this deal. Did it make you nervous to walk and all? its funny I look perfect but feel like hell.
My life feels like one massive - I cannot do that ot go out or function as I feel so strange!!!!!!!

Thanks!!

Old 12-04-2003, 07:04 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

This is what is wrong with me!! its so frightening! may I ask did you actually feel like your balance was off and like to steady yourself.
________________________________________ _________________________
HI!- Yes, I felt my balance was off but I actually walked and stood well. It was a feeling rather than an objective finding by the docs. Sometimes I felt worse when I had to lean over a sink to wash my face or brush my teeth. I remember splaying my legs apart to give me a sense of better balance.
________________________________________ _________________________
i am seeing a neuro this month and am praying for some answers.
________________________________________ ___________________________
The neuro will hopefully find out more or actually tell you you are fine physically and that this may be an emotional issue.
It's good your MRI was fine...that rules out tumor and an acoustic neuroma (a tumor that affects the vestibular system).

Yes, sometimes all my sensations would vary in intensity from day to day...but I never felt totally okay. If I stood still, or just sat still, I continued to have the sensation of weird movement...like my body was moving without me doing it.
Like you, I was afraid to go out sometimes, especially alone, for fear of falling or having a REAL spell of vertigo (which by the way never happened.) But the fear was awful and I limited myself a lot. I was taking WAY to much valium to overcome the fear and most probably making things worse in the long run.

After thousands of dollars and all those scans and tests and neurologists and ENT docs, the last neurologist I saw said to me: "You're fine, you're healthy..we can't find ANYTHING anatomically or physically wrong with you. Stop smoking, get some good therapy and stay away from doctors!"

Which I did!

Over time, all my sensations started to dissipate and eventually disappeared completely.
If you have an inner ear problem, hopefully the neurologist will be able to figure out why and then know accordingly, what to do.

Good luck!
zuzu xx

Old 12-05-2003, 02:18 PM   #11

willsmom HB User

Hi ZuZu,

Gosh I would be delighted if this could be my outcome!! I would be so happy!!

Its so strange that you say that leaning over to do jobs like brushing your teeth would make it worse - OH ME TOO!!!!!!!

Like you I splay my stance and will even hold onto things like the wall or door to feel more stable.

The thing is that I really really do feel that my balance is off! tell me did it put you off going for walks and things? Like you I look 'JUST FINE'.

I do also get dizzy spells through out the day which are usually pretty brief.

As you have had the tests that I have/am about to have I guess you found this problem as annoying as I do!

Like you my symptoms vary sometimes I think they r hardly there and then wham they are horrendous. When they are really bad it makes me feel like I am going to pass out. I don't - surprise surprise - but it scares me sooo bad and I wind up thinking this is serious and if not serious - never ever ending.

Its been great to hear from you! Thank You!

Tell me did u have the posturography test done? which measures body sway when standing? could you do all the heel toe tests with no problem? di you find the dark made it worse? and my last question if it scared you when you were out did it ever make you feel like you were bouncing all over the place and walking on marshmallows? thanks again!! Oh and last last question did it make u dizzy and lightheaded ever - I get a weird buzzy feeling in my head too.

Old 12-05-2003, 05:51 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi willsmom-
Yes, I indeed avoided a lot of things...walking made me feel frightened..Simply going out anywhere did. Like you, I looked great and it was hard for my friends to understand how lousy I felt. I never actually has brief "dizzy spells".I just felt unsteady, lightheaded, un-grounded, 'floaty" all the time. But no true "vertigo" which I will get to in a moment. I am not familiar with the term "post-urography test", sorry, but I failed the test where you are standing, then fold your arms, put heel to toe and then CLOSE YOUR EYES. I toppled over every time. I can't remember if I felt worse in the dark...I think so.
Now, here's what I know about dizziness...it may be more information than you'll ever need but I hope by the time this post ends you'll feel somewhat reassured.

Dizziness is a very rich problem because it contains pieces of internal medicine, a lot of neurology, a lot of otolaryngology [ear, nose, and throat medicine], and a lot of psychiatry.
By now your doctor has probably figured out which kind of "dizziness" you are experiencing. There are four distinct types: vertigo, lightheadedness, disequilibrium, and anxiety.

Type 1 -- VERTIGO

Vertigo is the feeling of motion when there is no motion.

It's a feeling common to every child who's spun himself around and around. But if it happens in the course of normal daily living, it is a symptom, one that accounts for about half of all "dizzy" complaints.

Vertigo means there is a problem with the vestibular system of the inner ear -- the part of the nervous system that tells you which way is down (the sense of gravity), and also lets you sense the position of your head.
There are two very common causes of vertigo:
Infectious agents, such as the viruses that cause the common cold or diarrhea.This harmless condition usually goes away by itself within 6-8 weeks, although drugs are available if it is severe.
Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo or BPPV. This is another harmless condition caused by movement of a calcium particle in the inner ear the size of a grain of sand -- from the part of the ear that senses gravity to the part that senses head position.You feel as if your head is turning when it isn't. A two-minute therapy done right in the doctor's office can move this particle ( called the otolith) back where it belongs and fix the problem.

Another cause of vertigo is Meniere's disease, a disorder characterized by long-lasting episodes of severe vertigo. Usually there are episodes of nausea and vomiting as well.
Other typical symptoms of Meniere's disease are tinnitus -- a roaring and obnoxious buzzing, ringing or other noises in the ear. Also a feeling of pressure or fullness in the ear. My stepmother had Meniere's and it is very treatable, once diagnosed properly.

By the way, you said something very interesting. You used the word "BOUNCING".
This is a classic symptom of something called DANDY'S SYNDROME.

Dandy's syndrome is when everything bounces up and down.One of the causes of Dandy's is from taking certain antibiotics that are toxic for the ears. Had you taken any antibiotics before this all started? The world bounces up and down and sometimes all you can do is put your head against a building and hold on. Even a heartbeat will can make the world jump.

THE GOOD NEWS IS that Dandy's syndrome usually improves and disappears over time.

Regarding vertigo in general, people with vertigo from a truly serious cause (now pay attention here! This is meant to reassure you!) also have other symptoms, the most important of which are double vision and slurred speech. It would be VERY UNCOMMON to have only vertigo and to have a very serious [central nervous system] disease.

Then we have the second type of dizziness --Type 2- LIGHTHEADEDNESS. ...which is basically the feeling that one is about to faint.

Like vertigo, everyone knows what this feels like because we all know what it's like to breathe deeply enough times to produce a sensation of lightheadedness. Usually, lightheadedness is caused by some surrounding circumstance impairing blood flow to the brain when a person is standing up.

Blame this problem on our ancestors who learned to walk upright -- putting our brain above our heart. It's a challenge for the heart to keep the brain supplied with blood -- and it's easy for this system to break down.

When blood vessels in the brain become dilated, or expand, due to high temperature, excitement or hyperventilation, alcohol consumption, or prescription medications such as antidepressants, a person can become lightheaded.

Most of the time, lightheadedness is harmless. It becomes more of a concern if it occurs in an older person, in a person not on suspect drugs, or if it happens while exercising.

The next type of dizziness.. Type 3- DISEQUILIBRIUM ...creates a problem with walking. People feel unsteady on their feet, like they are going to fall.

Disorders that can cause disequilibrium include:

A kind of arthritis in the neck called cervical spondylosis, which puts pressure on the spinal cord.
Parkinson's disease, or related disorders that cause a person to stoop forward.
Disorders involving a part of the brain called the cerebellum.
Diseases such as diabetes (when the diabetic develops neuropathy (loss of sensation) in their legs. This is not you obviously or you would certainly have told us!!
Disequilibrium is diagnosed when your doc conducts a simple neurological exam and watches you walk.

Then there's the all-inclusive nightmare--Type 4- ANXIETY

People who are scared, worried, depressed, or agoraphobic [afraid of open spaces]sometimes use the word dizzy to mean frightened, depressed, or anxious.

There's a fascinating "test" that very savvy doctors use to recognize this type of dizziness. They take the word 'dizzy' out of all the patient's sentences and replace it with the word 'anxious", "scared" or "depressed"...and the sentences suddenly make a lot more sense! This doesn't mean the dizziness isn't very real and experienced as one or MORE of the 4 "types".

But this leads me now to what they call MIXED-TYPE DIZZINESS:
This means that many people will have more than one type of dizziness. Which sounds like you.

It is common to see a person with vertigo from post-viral infection and ALSO from anxiety -- because vertigo makes them anxious -- so they have a combination of 2 types of dizziness. Or, they are dizzy because of near-fainting episodes because, for example, one doctor has put them on medications that cause dizziness, and this has made them anxious. A patient could have all four types of dizziness, but that would be REALLY rare.

Now the good news my dear I promise you, is that nearly everybody who is dizzy, WILL get better. This is because a person's sense of balance is a complex interaction between the brain, each ear's separate vestibular system, and the sense of vision. When one component breaks down, the others usually learn to compensate.
There is not a major chance of permanent dizziness. All the best experts now feel that there is no reason why the nervous system can't compensate for a broken vestibular system. People with vestibular problems due to physical "injury" (i.e. a real anatomical and physical change) nearly always compensate. So if you can't compensate when there is no physical injury, it means a problem of mental or emotional origin.

So, hang on kiddo...I'm sure the doctors will identify what's going on for sure and you'll soon be on the way to feeling much better. Try not to let the fear take over...This is not forever.

zuzu xx

Last edited by zuzu8; 12-05-2003 at 06:08 PM.

Old 12-05-2003, 06:14 PM   #13

fuz HB User
Wink Re: weird, fuzzy, disoriented,light-headed, dizzy

I sort of feel the need to steady myself or balance myself, but it has never been so bad that I actually had to hold a wall or widen my stance. I do have varying degrees of these attacks however. Sometimes I will have them every day for days, and sometimes nothing will happen for a month. I have been gettinf frightened lately becuase they have been coming very suddenly in the last few weeks. Sometimes I would feel myself get a little fuzzy and I had the feeling it might get worse, sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't. Lately though it has realy caught me off guard. It'll just come on suddenly and I have to take a deep breath because I feel asthough I may just fall over. I really appreciate talking with both of you. It sounds like we are all in the same boat with "sea legs".

Old 12-05-2003, 06:20 PM   #14

fuz HB User

Zuzu:
your comments are wonderful, you've been so helpful
Willsmom:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuz
I sort of feel the need to steady myself or balance myself, but it has never been so bad that I actually had to hold a wall or widen my stance. I do have varying degrees of these attacks however. Sometimes I will have them every day for days, and sometimes nothing will happen for a month. I have been gettinf frightened lately becuase they have been coming very suddenly in the last few weeks. Sometimes I would feel myself get a little fuzzy and I had the feeling it might get worse, sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't. Lately though it has realy caught me off guard. It'll just come on suddenly and I have to take a deep breath because I feel asthough I may just fall over. I really appreciate talking with both of you. It sounds like we are all in the same boat with "sea legs".

Old 12-05-2003, 06:55 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

FUZ- I'm glad some of the info I posted helps a little. Dizziness (and all the "sensations" that fall under that one banner) are so frightening and limit people's lives so much until they are diagnosed and treated appropriately. Or of course, often no treatment is necessary and it all simply goes away by itself eventually.

The fact that yours comes and goes is a certainly a good sign that, while awful to deal with, is probably not due to some life-threatening disorder. The rule of thumb when it comes to truly serious illness (like a brain tumor, which I'm sure went through your mind more than once!) is that eventually other symptoms present themselves. Things get worse over time. They do not wax and wane. And "time" is a good clue as to whether it's serious or not. The LONGER one has the SAME symptom with nothing else emerging, the less likely it is to be something catastrophic! (Have I just repeated myself all in one paragraph???!!!)

zuzu xx

Closed Thread