It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2003, 09:41 AM   #1
(female)

Juby HB User
Question low blood pressure & fast heart beat

My daughter has been going through a very stressful time and her blood pressure is averaging 100 over 65 with a pulse rate of over a hundred all the time. So far the doctor hasn't been able to find anything to help her. What helps raise the blood pressure also speeds up her heart rate. Does anyone have this problem and if so have you found something that helps? She is so tired all the time that it is hard for her to keep up with her job and other responsibilities.

Old 12-03-2003, 12:39 PM   #2

Techie HB User
Re: low blood pressure & fast heart beat

salty foods help raise the BP..beta blockers like toprol XL will reduce the heart rate..

100/65 with HR above 100 is probably the same load as 120/80 with HR at 72..based on what I have read heart tries to compensate low bp by adding more bpm so enough blood is delivered...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2003, 01:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Hi Oobagah,
Your daughter's blood pressure is very good (less than 120/80 being optimal)...In some people her #s would be considered fine...in some they might be thought to be little on the low side. Unless the low'ish BP is causing symptoms such as dizziness, I wouldn't worry.

Her heart rate is however, fast and a consistent rate of over 100 is called tachycardia.
How old is she by the way?
You mention she'd going through a lot of stress. Stress can cause tachycardia which results from an an increase in the heart's electrical system.
The most common causes, apart from emotional stress are:

Fever
Medications that contain stimulants
Some medications that lower blood pressure
Lifestyle factors (e.g., excessive consumption of caffeine, smoking)
Overactive thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism)
Various conditions including heart and lung disease
Some metabolic problems such as high blood levels of potassium or low levels of magnesium.

Does your daughter experience any of the following?
Sensation of feeling the heart beat (palpitations)
Light-headedness or dizziness
Fainting
Shortness of breath
Chest discomfort (angina)

Has her doctor run tests on her? Certainly complete and thorough blood tests would be expected.
If her heart rate continues to be rapid, and she has any of the above symptoms the doc might suggest some heart tests like:
An ECG
A continuous ambulatory electrocardiogram (Holter monitor)
A loop recorder, for ambulatory ECG recordings exceeding 24 hrs
An intracardiac electrophysiology study (EPS)

What has her doctor done (or tried) for her so far?

zuzu xx

Last edited by zuzu8; 12-03-2003 at 01:19 PM.

Old 12-04-2003, 09:15 AM   #4

HeatherW HB User

Ask the doctor to check her Cortisol and ACTH levels. Also her potassium. Low BP and Tachnicardia are also indications of Addisons disease. I would be especially concerned that this happens when she is under stress. Cortisol is the stress hormone produced by the adrenal glands. When it is too low or non existant then it causes adrenal insufficiency or Addisons disease. Make sure that the blood work is done at the correct time of day. There are several different kinds of these blood tests make sure they are seen by a qualified endocrinologist who knows what he/she is looking at. ACTH is the hormone produced by the pituitary gland in the brain. It sends the message to the adrenal gland to "make more cortisol" . If it is missing the adrenals will not do there job and if the ACTH is really high then it means the adrenals are not responding. There is also a ACTH stimulation test that tests the ability of the adrenals to act when asked. All of these can be valuable to doctors that know what they are doing. Please explore these possiblilities because Addisons is life threatning when not treated.

Old 12-04-2003, 11:55 AM   #5
(female)

Juby HB User

I don't know all of the tests that my daughter has had, but she was in the hospital on an out patient basis for a lot of tests. She was diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse. She is 39 years old and dealing with a fifteen year old child who is completely out of control and her ex husband is no help at all. He's just making more problems so I'm thinking it could be a lot of anxiety. She is having some dizziness and is always so tired. They have tried different beta blockers for the heart but they lower her blood pressure so much that she passes out. So far she hasn't been able to take even very low doses of anything.

A woman she works with was having the same problem with her low blood pressure, but she didn't have the Mitral Valve Prolapse, so after going to a dozen different doctors she finally found one who prescribed something that helped her raise her blood pressure to the point where she feels like she can at least function. This is why I am wondering if anyone has the same problems and if maybe there is something out there that would work with both of these conditions. I'm always thinking that doctors should know about the different medications, but after dealing with a lot of different illnesses, I know that they don't. People keep going to different doctors until, if they are lucky, they find one that helps them.

Old 12-04-2003, 01:14 PM   #6

HeatherW HB User

Does your daughter have an odd tan about her? Does she have a tan when she shouldn't (winter) (under her clothes) ? Or dose she have a dirty look about her in the creases of her arms hands and feet? Does she have a desire to salt everything she eats and maybe drinks? Has she lost a lot of weight? I have Addisons disease and I believe that she should be tested for it. Why not they have tested her for everything else. Fatigue, the tachnicardia, the low bloodpressure, the inability to handle stress all are symptoms of it. Steroids can be given to help make the symptoms managable on a day to day basis. There are drugs that can help it but they are not what any doctor but a endocrinologist or an internist should perscribe to her. She really needs to undergo these tests before starting them so that they can get an accurate diagnosis. Each symptom by itself is nothing but all together they can be quite signifigant. Ask her to order a copy of all her Blood work. She paid for it and she has the right to see it. Look to see. Addisons is very rare and it is often missed or diagnosed as Cronic Fatigue Syndrome. If she has it and no one knows it she could get in big trouble. Good luck to her . Heather W.

Old 12-10-2003, 02:22 PM   #7
(female)

Juby HB User

I'm sorry I haven't been back to this board sooner. Have had a miserable bout with the flue. I want to thank you for your replies. I don't know if my daughter has been tested for the Addisons disease or not but other than the fast heart beat and low blood pressure, she doesn't have any of the other symptoms that you mentioned. She said she will mention it to her doctor as she doesn't even know what all of the tests were. Her doctor seems to think the blood pressure is alright and that the fast heart beat is being aggravated by all of the stress she has been under. He thinks her extreme tiredness is being caused from depression.

Closed Thread