It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2003, 08:50 PM   #1
(female)

sugarplum_pdx HB User
When is it really high blood pressure?

I'm confused about how to feel regarding my blood pressure. A little background: I just turned 31, and have no history of BP problems in my family. I'm very slightly overweight, have never smoked, vegetarian, occasional drinker. The one thing I have against me is that I don't exercise as much as I should. I walk a bit each day because I take buses to work, and the bus stops are several blocks from my house. But other than that, my dedication to a workout routine has been sporadic at best. I do it for a while, then stop, then pick it again ... etc.

I also have high anxiety. Several years ago I went for a checkup and had slightly high BP. Ever since then, I have worried about what my BP would be, and it's always high in the doctor's office. I got a home monitor, but ended up being nervous whenever I take it at home too.

The other day at my doctor's exam, my BP was 158/80. My doc was concerned and told me to monitor it at home and report back. Like I said, I get anxious even when taking it at home, so I'm not sure these results are totally accurate, but yesterday I took it several times and got an average of about 145/80. (Some readings were in the 150s systolic, and some were in the 130s and 140s.)

Tonight, I got an initial reading of 146/88, but then 3 consecutive readings of high 130s/80s.

I don't know if I should be on medication or not. Part of me thinks it would be better to just bite the bullet and take medication "just in case" - because I don't want to suffer any long term consequences from my BP shooting up every time I'm anxious. But another part of me feels like that would be admitting defeat somehow ... I don't want to be a person with high blood pressure. That makes me feel vulnerable, like I'm more at risk for heart disease all of a sudden (which I know is silly, because the meds would helping me, not hurting me ... but I feel anxious about being in that "classification").

Sorry this is so long ... can anyone relate?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2003, 06:42 AM   #2
Inactive

zip2play HB User
Re: When is it really high blood pressure?

sugarplum,

I've found that anxiety is a HUGE pressor agent(even though the medical profession pooh-poohs this).

But at your age, you will probably see your BP go higher over the years...it just works that way.

I have a recommendation to stave off the drugs: lose weight if you need to. A few pounds down works WONDERS!

NOTHING has a greater effect on BP.
If I were in your shoes, I'd put off the drugs as long as possible.

Old 12-10-2003, 07:43 AM   #3
(female)

sugarplum_pdx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play
sugarplum,

I've found that anxiety is a HUGE pressor agent(even though the medical profession pooh-poohs this).

But at your age, you will probably see your BP go higher over the years...it just works that way.

I have a recommendation to stave off the drugs: lose weight if you need to. A few pounds down works WONDERS!

NOTHING has a greater effect on BP.
If I were in your shoes, I'd put off the drugs as long as possible.
Thanks Zip. You're probably right. I am about 5'7 1/2" and I weigh 158. I should ideally weigh about 140, although I saw a site that says my ideal range is 127 - 159. I've already lost about 10 lbs lately and I hope to lose at least 10 more.

I also need to do more consistent exercise and try not to be so anxious. I'm currently on Wellbutrin but it doesn't seem to stop me from getting anxious every time my BP is checked. In fact, my doctor thought maybe the Wellbutrin was raising my BP, since I had a high reading in his office during my first visit since starting the Wellbutrin. But my readings at home seem to be similar to what they were before I started the Wellbutrin. I was hoping I could get on a medication that STOPPED me from worrying so much, but I don't know if there's one out there.

Old 12-10-2003, 11:13 AM   #4

MichaelNYC HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarplum_pdx
I'm confused about how to feel regarding my blood pressure. A little background: I just turned 31, and have no history of BP problems in my family. I'm very slightly overweight, have never smoked, vegetarian, occasional drinker. The one thing I have against me is that I don't exercise as much as I should. I walk a bit each day because I take buses to work, and the bus stops are several blocks from my house. But other than that, my dedication to a workout routine has been sporadic at best. I do it for a while, then stop, then pick it again ... etc.

I also have high anxiety. Several years ago I went for a checkup and had slightly high BP. Ever since then, I have worried about what my BP would be, and it's always high in the doctor's office. I got a home monitor, but ended up being nervous whenever I take it at home too.

The other day at my doctor's exam, my BP was 158/80. My doc was concerned and told me to monitor it at home and report back. Like I said, I get anxious even when taking it at home, so I'm not sure these results are totally accurate, but yesterday I took it several times and got an average of about 145/80. (Some readings were in the 150s systolic, and some were in the 130s and 140s.)

Tonight, I got an initial reading of 146/88, but then 3 consecutive readings of high 130s/80s.

I don't know if I should be on medication or not. Part of me thinks it would be better to just bite the bullet and take medication "just in case" - because I don't want to suffer any long term consequences from my BP shooting up every time I'm anxious. But another part of me feels like that would be admitting defeat somehow ... I don't want to be a person with high blood pressure. That makes me feel vulnerable, like I'm more at risk for heart disease all of a sudden (which I know is silly, because the meds would helping me, not hurting me ... but I feel anxious about being in that "classification").

Sorry this is so long ... can anyone relate?
My systolic is also much higer than my diastolic and its been like this for about two months (155/95). I've done just about everything to bring this down. You name it, I've done it. Let me quote from a Medical Book, "the difference between the systolic and diastolic blood pressure is referred to as pulse pressure. If the number chronically exceeds 60 (mine does) advanced atherosclerosis is usually present. I'm 63 so I'm far more concerned than someone your age. Yes, I could take medication to reduce my blood pressure but if I do have heart disease the underlining problem is still there. Before you submit to medication try exercising. This is what I've just started doing. Also, next time you do for a doctors visit bring your blood pressure with you and compare it to the doctors reading. Mild hypertension means the systolic is from 140-159 and the diastolic is 90 - 99. You're in danger once it goes above 180/110. You need to be certain you're getting sufficient magnesium, calcium and potassium. You can purchase these three in liquid form. Take 2 oz a day. I just purchased this product yesterday. I'm hoping to see some improvements. Let medication be your last resort. You may be taking care of one problem and causing others. Drugs are dangerous.

Old 12-10-2003, 03:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User

[QUOTE=sugarplum_pdx.
I also have high anxiety. Several years ago I went for a checkup and had slightly high BP. Ever since then, I have worried about what my BP would be, and it's always high in the doctor's office. QUOTE]

I'll tell you what is good for anxiety and high blood pressure. Some good aerobic exercise. You need to do it 4 or 5 days a week. You are killing two birds with one stone. I have a problem with anxiety and when it is bothering me my blood pressure goes up. There is something about aerobic exercise that helps anxiety. I just feel so much better after a workout. And when I feel better my blood pressure is lower.

Old 12-11-2003, 03:21 PM   #6
(male)

html HB User

Although it's not a common side effect, wellbutrin can raise blood pressure. It can also increase anxiety in some people. I would talk to a psychiatrist about whether this is the best choice antidepressant for you.

The other suggestions about exercize and weight loss are excellent.

Old 12-12-2003, 06:13 AM   #7

BlueIsland HB User

1st measurements are usually b.s. imo if you have anxiety. I usually disgard them. Yesterday, I hadn't taken my b/p for 2 weeks & the 1st measurement was 143/83 after driving around & going for an interview. 10 minutes later it was 124/74 & 10 minutes after that it was 121/70. 121/70 & still on meds.... does that make sense???? In the past 9 months I have gone from 155 or so to 147. I believe that I did this from going from 6 beers a night to 1 glass of wine & cutting out soda & bread. I'm 33 & 5 11".

Closed Thread