It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2003, 10:08 AM   #1
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 18
mich87 HB User
25 Yrs old and high blood pressure

I'm 25 years old and suffer from high blood pressure. I had some checks done a year and a half ago chest x ray, blood tests, blood pressure monitor, ecg but the consultant didn't think I should go on medication. Lately I've be feeling a pain in the left side of my chest and also notice that I'm urinating more frequency. The consultant at the time asked me about urinating but at the time I didn't have any problems. Could this be related? I exercise regurlarly however my diet is not the best(low portions of fruit/veg). I still think though that it very unusual for a person of 25 yrs to have high blood pressure and that there could be something more serious wrong. The last check I did it was 165/90. What foods/supplements are good to reduce HBP as I'm reluctant to go back to the consultant to pay money and be told that there is nothing wrong.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 12-15-2003, 11:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: California, U.S.A.
Posts: 3,091
zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: 25 Yrs old and high blood pressure

MICH87- You're right, hypertension is unusal is a person of your age, although not unheard of. However, while most people have what they call primary or 'essential" hypertension, when high numbers such as yours occur in young people, doctors usually like to rule out secondary causes which can be any number of kidney disorders, renovascular causes and endocrine tumor (benign) of the adrenal glands.

Also drugs, such as oral contraceptives, corticosteroids, liquorice and carbenoxolone, sympathomimetics, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can cause high blood pressure.

Whatever the reason for your elevated #s, your BP needs to come down and should not be ignored. And the fact that you have begun to urinate frequently needs some investigation. A renal scan would rule out renal artery stenosis, and most kidney problems.

As far as diet goes, eat lots of fish, fresh (not canned) vegetables, more chicken, less red meat, and lower your salt intake to no more than one teaspoon (TOTAL) per day. That's 2400mgs. Read package labeling for sodium mgs. Don't add table salt to your meals. Salt restriction is really difficult because there is so much hidden sodium in store-bought foods.
Exercise is the single best thing we can do to lower BP and the fact that you do so regularly is great.
How is your weight? If overweight, losing some pounds is THE single best non-med thing we can do for our BP.

Still, don't be anxious about going back to the consultant (I presume you're in the UK?). He was wise not to put you on meds yet...I like the sound of him. But he should know now about urinary frequency and might want to do a few more tests.

zuzu xxx

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-06-2004, 10:54 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 8
jstringham HB User
Re: 25 Yrs old and high blood pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich87
I'm 25 years old and suffer from high blood pressure. I had some checks done a year and a half ago chest x ray, blood tests, blood pressure monitor, ecg but the consultant didn't think I should go on medication. Lately I've be feeling a pain in the left side of my chest and also notice that I'm urinating more frequency. The consultant at the time asked me about urinating but at the time I didn't have any problems. Could this be related? I exercise regurlarly however my diet is not the best(low portions of fruit/veg). I still think though that it very unusual for a person of 25 yrs to have high blood pressure and that there could be something more serious wrong. The last check I did it was 165/90. What foods/supplements are good to reduce HBP as I'm reluctant to go back to the consultant to pay money and be told that there is nothing wrong.
man im 17 and have what i feel to be high blood pressure 155/97 avg do you have problems getting a hardon i have recently and wonder if it is related
later
jeff

 
Old 01-07-2004, 01:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: California, U.S.A.
Posts: 3,091
zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: 25 Yrs old and high blood pressure

JEFF- There are many causes of erectile dysfunction.
*
It was commonly believed to be due to psychological problems and treatment remained in the hands of the psychologists and psychiatrists. But we know now that 80-90% of impotence is caused by physical problems, usually related to the blood supply of the penis - the arteries and veins which carry blood to and from the penis.
There is of course psychogenic impotence which is performance anxiety. When you are stressed and anxious, erections may be difficult or impossible. Stress increases the body's production of catecholamines such as adrenaline and nor-adrenaline, which are specific erection inhibitors.

But by far, the most common cause of impotence, especially in older men, involves the penile arteries, the penile veins or both. When the problem is arterial, arteriosclerosis or hardening of the arteries is the usual culprit. Blunt trauma, sometimes from sports injuries, is a less frequent cause.

In YOUNGER men like you many doctors find that a venous leak or "veno-occlusive incompetence" is the single most common vascular problem. Venous leak is a generally understood term which can be likened to a loose plug in the bathtub drain. In a potent man, during sexual excitement, arterial inflow increases 5-to 8-fold and the penile drainage system closes down, thus sustaining erections. When the drainage system fails to hold the blood in the penis, the erection becomes soft and may fail.

Impotence is common in diabetics. There are 9 million diabetic adult men in the U.S. and it is estimated that half are impotent and the other half will become impotent in time. The process involves premature and unusually severe hardening of the arteries.
This hardening of the arteries is caused by overweight, lack of exercise, high cholesterol, cigarette smoking and high blood pressure - and can produce erectile failure often LONG before actually affecting the heart.

Your BP needs to come under control. It may or may not be related to your erection problem, but a good checkup with your doctor will help rule out things like diabetes.

 
Old 01-20-2004, 10:26 AM   #5
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 18
mich87 HB User
Re: 25 Yrs old and high blood pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu8
MICH87- You're right, hypertension is unusal is a person of your age, although not unheard of. However, while most people have what they call primary or 'essential" hypertension, when high numbers such as yours occur in young people, doctors usually like to rule out secondary causes which can be any number of kidney disorders, renovascular causes and endocrine tumor (benign) of the adrenal glands.

Also drugs, such as oral contraceptives, corticosteroids, liquorice and carbenoxolone, sympathomimetics, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can cause high blood pressure.

Whatever the reason for your elevated #s, your BP needs to come down and should not be ignored. And the fact that you have begun to urinate frequently needs some investigation. A renal scan would rule out renal artery stenosis, and most kidney problems.

As far as diet goes, eat lots of fish, fresh (not canned) vegetables, more chicken, less red meat, and lower your salt intake to no more than one teaspoon (TOTAL) per day. That's 2400mgs. Read package labeling for sodium mgs. Don't add table salt to your meals. Salt restriction is really difficult because there is so much hidden sodium in store-bought foods.
Exercise is the single best thing we can do to lower BP and the fact that you do so regularly is great.
How is your weight? If overweight, losing some pounds is THE single best non-med thing we can do for our BP.

Still, don't be anxious about going back to the consultant (I presume you're in the UK?). He was wise not to put you on meds yet...I like the sound of him. But he should know now about urinary frequency and might want to do a few more tests.

zuzu xxx
Was at the doctor today. Blood pressure reading was high 170/99. Explained to the doctor about frequent urination and chest pains however as my blood tests were normal he didn't think the frequent urination was a problem as I wasn't getting up a few time a night to urinate. He also tested a sample and said it was clear.Would normal blood tests rule out kidney disorders, renovascular causes and endocrine tumor (benign) of the adrenal glands. As the ecg was clear a year ago he doesn't think there is any problem with my heart and is sending me to a research clinic as he thinks that my blood pressure shoots up all of a sudden and this is the reading that is taken. If this is not the case he's will put me on medication. I would think that it is very unusual for a 25 year old to go on medication for HBP and that something else is causing this.

 
Old 01-20-2004, 10:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: California, U.S.A.
Posts: 3,091
zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: 25 Yrs old and high blood pressure

Mich- Normal blood tests would not necessarily rule out renovascular problems. But what is this research clinic? Are they going to perform further tests?

I need a little clarification on something: When you mentioned your frequent urination to the doctor, did you say that he was not concerned because you were NOT getting up to pee enough during the night?

zuzu xx

 
Old 01-20-2004, 11:09 AM   #7
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 18
mich87 HB User
Re: 25 Yrs old and high blood pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu8
Mich- Normal blood tests would not necessarily rule out renovascular problems. But what is this research clinic? Are they going to perform further tests?

I need a little clarification on something: When you mentioned your frequent urination to the doctor, did you say that he was not concerned because you were NOT getting up to pee enough during the night?

zuzu xx
Yes, he was not concerned as I was not getting up to pee a few times during the night. Kidney function blood tests were clear also so he didn't think this was related to my high blood pressure. Any ideas on what could be causing the frequent urination giving what the tests already done would have ruled out. The clinic is doing research on high blood pressure in young people so further tests will be carried out. He seems to think that my blood pressure may not be high for the most part but elevates during a reading and this is the reading that is taken. Are there any other tests that should be done to rule out other causes of HBP.

 
Old 01-20-2004, 11:40 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 185
HeatherW HB User
Re: 25 Yrs old and high blood pressure

In addition to the rare endocrine tumor that zuzu mentioned there is a hereditary disease of the adrenals which causes severe hypertention. Actually there are two very seperate and different such diseases. If you potassium is somewhat low then that in fact can cause the urinating that your experiencing. That would be the only blood test that they likely ran that may offer any clue to this particular disease. You would need a 24 hour urine aldosterone and renin level to check it. I realize that it is rare but it is also rare for a young person to have Bp problems like you do. If you have noticed a unexplained increase in weight then you may be dealing with one of the tumors that zuzu mentioned. The adrenals are very complicated and control your BP hormonally and they should be thouroughly explored. Never take the approach that it is not important to find out more about why this is happening. Heather W.

 
Old 01-20-2004, 12:08 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: California, U.S.A.
Posts: 3,091
zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: 25 Yrs old and high blood pressure

I agree with Heather that further tests are indicated for you which the research clinic will definitely investigate. Sounds like a good place to go.

Your doctor's "theory" about your frequent urination being caused by not urinating several times a night is a bit odd though.
It is not normal for a young adult to have to get up in the middle of the night to pee. Older adults and the elderly often do, but not people your age.

The research clinic may want to do a renal (kidney) scan to rule out renal artery stenosis. This is obstruction of the renal artery. The obstruction is most often due to atherosclerosis, narrowing of the blood vessel due to a buildup of fatty deposits on and under the lining of the artery wall. If your urine tests were comprehensive and completely normal, then perhaps I'm jumping the gun here.

But your chest pain should be evaluated further, perhaps with a 24-hour holter monitor. Or at least a heart echocardiogram. Both simple and painless tests for heart function.

Maybe your BP isn't, as the doctor suspects, high all the time but spikes at his office. This is called "white coat hypertension", due to the anxiety of simply being there.

When do you go to the clinic?
Let us know how you do.

zuzu xx

 
Old 01-20-2004, 07:51 PM   #10
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 161
alptraum HB User
Re: 25 Yrs old and high blood pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherW
In addition to the rare endocrine tumor that zuzu mentioned there is a hereditary disease of the adrenals which causes severe hypertention. Actually there are two very seperate and different such diseases. If you potassium is somewhat low then that in fact can cause the urinating that your experiencing. That would be the only blood test that they likely ran that may offer any clue to this particular disease. You would need a 24 hour urine aldosterone and renin level to check it. I realize that it is rare but it is also rare for a young person to have Bp problems like you do. If you have noticed a unexplained increase in weight then you may be dealing with one of the tumors that zuzu mentioned. The adrenals are very complicated and control your BP hormonally and they should be thouroughly explored. Never take the approach that it is not important to find out more about why this is happening. Heather W.
A WARNING ABOUT THE 24 hour urine test!!!! I had it done, it cost me over 200 dollars and they didn't warn me, hopefully my insurance will cover it for me. Thus far I've racked up $731 in various tests trying to figure out the hbp.

Just a warning, nonetheless you cannot put a price on good health, I'd gladly drop a few grand if they could wave a wand over my head and poof it'd be gone.

Plus it may not seem that hard, but it really sucks if you work full time or a college student and are busy all day. On the test you have to pee each and everytime in a refrigerated container. Cannot cheat and pee once if your out, they want every flow for 24 hours. Boy was I happy when it was all over.

Last edited by alptraum; 01-20-2004 at 08:31 PM.

 
Old 01-20-2004, 08:51 PM   #11
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 161
alptraum HB User
Re: 25 Yrs old and high blood pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu8
Your doctor's "theory" about your frequent urination being caused by not urinating several times a night is a bit odd though.
It is not normal for a young adult to have to get up in the middle of the night to pee. Older adults and the elderly often do, but not people your age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich87
he didn't think the frequent urination was a problem as I WASN'T getting up a few time a night to urinate
I thought Mich was saying he is not getting up during the night to pee, right???

 
Old 01-21-2004, 06:26 AM   #12
Inactive
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 2,902
zip2play HB User
Re: 25 Yrs old and high blood pressure

alptraum,

Unless you have Joe's Roadstand Medical Insurance, the 24 hour urine tests for vanillamandelic acid, 5HIAA, and aldosterone are all covered.
Are you in an HMO? You should never have even SEEN a lab bill....usually covered without co-pay!

 
Old 01-21-2004, 10:53 AM   #13
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 161
alptraum HB User
Re: 25 Yrs old and high blood pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play
alptraum,

Unless you have Joe's Roadstand Medical Insurance, the 24 hour urine tests for vanillamandelic acid, 5HIAA, and aldosterone are all covered.
Are you in an HMO? You should never have even SEEN a lab bill....usually covered without co-pay!
United Health Care just gave my parents a call, they didn't pay for crap, they paid for $250 out of $731 dollars of tests I had run, and I had to file the claim myself. I had the tests done at my universities health center and UHC is the provider through the university.

Since I had that test and it came back normal, does that rule out renal disease, or what exactly does it say I DONT have?

Last edited by alptraum; 01-21-2004 at 10:56 AM.

 
Old 01-21-2004, 01:30 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 185
HeatherW HB User
Re: 25 Yrs old and high blood pressure

Since its a new year perhaps it is a deductable of $500 which must be paid first before they can pick anything else up. Heather W.

 
Old 01-29-2004, 08:28 AM   #15
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 18
mich87 HB User
Re: 25 Yrs old and high blood pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu8
I agree with Heather that further tests are indicated for you which the research clinic will definitely investigate. Sounds like a good place to go.

Your doctor's "theory" about your frequent urination being caused by not urinating several times a night is a bit odd though.
It is not normal for a young adult to have to get up in the middle of the night to pee. Older adults and the elderly often do, but not people your age.

The research clinic may want to do a renal (kidney) scan to rule out renal artery stenosis. This is obstruction of the renal artery. The obstruction is most often due to atherosclerosis, narrowing of the blood vessel due to a buildup of fatty deposits on and under the lining of the artery wall. If your urine tests were comprehensive and completely normal, then perhaps I'm jumping the gun here.

But your chest pain should be evaluated further, perhaps with a 24-hour holter monitor. Or at least a heart echocardiogram. Both simple and painless tests for heart function.

Maybe your BP isn't, as the doctor suspects, high all the time but spikes at his office. This is called "white coat hypertension", due to the anxiety of simply being there.

When do you go to the clinic?
Let us know how you do.

zuzu xx
I am going into the clinic next week for these tests. I will be having an ECG, blood tests, 24 blood pressure monitor. I had all these done a year and a half ago so I think that these may be a waste. I have a cyst under my skin in stomach which I am getting removed in 2 weeks under local anesthetic. The doctor says its nothing serious but it should be removed. Would there be any possibility that this may be obstructing a blood vessel and causing my high blood pressure as all test so far have proved nothing. There is a history of high blood pressure in my family but I feel that there must be a secondary cause.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
What I have done to survive Heart Failure & AFib with a high quality of life. Machaon Heart Disorders 66 05-29-2012 08:04 AM
Lupus and blood pressure spikes when sleeping. Sunsetnan Lupus 121 07-26-2010 08:21 AM
Extreme High Blood Pressure 200+ daily chinsch5hers High & Low Blood Pressure 6 07-14-2010 04:42 PM
22 years old and high blood pressure? MarieH High & Low Blood Pressure 15 03-13-2009 06:34 PM
Perplexed About My High Blood Pressure conanld High & Low Blood Pressure 5 10-26-2008 12:09 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:50 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!