It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2003, 04:37 PM   #1

dx35y HB User
Postpartum high blood pressure

I know that there is pregnancy triggered HBP, but what about postpartum HBP?
I'm 34 years old, and had a baby three months ago. My BP was usually 110-130/70-80, and did not increase during the whole pregnancy. Two weeks ago, I felt dizzy, lightheaded, and nauseous for 2-3 days. When I checked BP at home, it was high, 135/95. It went down after that, and the symptoms were gone too.
I figure that it might be stress-related cause I'm breastfeeding and stressed about going back to work. However, 2 days ago, the symptoms are back again, and this time I'm having headache too. It was really bad. My stress level was not high, at least not as high as 2 weeks ago. After a reading of 136/98 at night, I took the next day off to get some rest, and my BP went down to 125/85. I was feeling better too.
I'm not overweight (height 5'4", weight 114 lb), eating pretty healthy, although not exercising after the baby came. I do have a family history of HBP; both my parents had hypertension.
My question:
1. Are the symptoms caused by elevated BP? I saw a nurse, and she told me that some virus could increase BP. I've never heard of it. Is it true?
2. Isn't it too young for me to get hypertension? or it's merely caused by stress?
3. Did the elevated BP have something to do with childbirth and beastfeeding?
4. What do I need to do to lower my BP?
Thanks so much for your help!

Last edited by dx35y; 12-19-2003 at 08:47 AM.

Old 12-18-2003, 05:24 PM   #2
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User
Re: Postpartum high blood pressure

I am with you! My b/p was great when I was pregnant. The doctor never said a word. I was even hospitalized at 9 weeks and it was fine. the delivery was fine too. I had my son in 2000. When he was 3 months old, I was told it was high-ouch! I didnt understand. Now it is high at least at the doctors, but for me, it has turned into a panic problem. I panic now to take my blood pressure. Maybe we need to research postpartum b/p on the internet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2003, 09:37 AM   #3

dx35y HB User

Is your BP still high sometimes? What did your doctor say? I won't be able to see my doctor until 1/15/04. Hope it's just responsive.
I took my BP at home though, so it's not like white-coat HBP.
I'm new to this board, and found it very informative after reading some posts. Hope some veteran members out there could help us.

Old 01-01-2004, 12:54 PM   #4
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

Hi! Happy new year!Sorry it took so long to respond to you, The holidays have been busy! Yes, my pressure is elevated at times. My obgyn actually doesnt stress about it. He is such an encouraging doctor. He is my favorite. I really dont know what to think of the whole thing. I am trying various natural remedies. I got to go!

Old 01-18-2004, 09:23 PM   #5
(female)

pregowith#6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslam 91
Hi! Happy new year!Sorry it took so long to respond to you, The holidays have been busy! Yes, my pressure is elevated at times. My obgyn actually doesnt stress about it. He is such an encouraging doctor. He is my favorite. I really dont know what to think of the whole thing. I am trying various natural remedies. I got to go!
Hi,

Well, at least I know I am not alone. I had my sixth child a boy almost two weeks ago. And you guessed it my blood pressure is high. I have no other symptoms just stoped at a machine in a store took my blood pressure and found out in was 153/99. I then took it over the next two days at different locations and found the same thing. After that I went back to labor and delivery where my son was born they had me lay on my side and when they took several readings it was always 120 something over 70 something. They told me they only worry if it stays high or you have other symptoms. I don't have any other symptoms but, this still has me freaked out. It also has me wondering most people don't get a blood pressure recheck until six weeks post partum so, could this be a somewhat normal reaction to birth? Just a theory does anyone else have any ideas or have you gotten any info from your doctors?

Theresa

Closed Thread