It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2004, 06:45 PM   #1
(female)

Buying Time HB User
Variable Blood Pressure

I am 41, and in good health. I run 2-3 times a week, and work out 2-3 days a week. I was diagnosed with HBP when I was 38, and started taking 25 mg Atenolol once a day. I'm still taking the same dose. I recently bought an at home monitor when my doctor doubled my dose of atenolol. On the second day, after having finished a rather vigorous 1hr 20 minute work out, I had a BP of 113/48 and a swollen tongue.

Although I am back on 25 mg once a day, I am averaging a BP of 117/70 with side affects like vertigo and dizziness when standing. However, there are intermittant times when I get readings of 142/70ish. Not often, mind you, but once every few days. My doctor wants me to remain on medication because my readings in his office are so high. I am iatrophobic--I do not have white coat syndrome, I have a phobia of doctors. He reasons that if my pressure is high in his office that it is high at other times too. I disagree. My question is, arent' I better off without medication and keeping the rare 142's/70's than driving through rush hour traffic on the Dallas highways with the 100's/48's and a fuzzy head? That frightens me much more.

Old 01-08-2004, 07:35 PM   #2

MichaelNYC HB User
Re: Variable Blood Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buying Time
I am 41, and in good health. I run 2-3 times a week, and work out 2-3 days a week. I was diagnosed with HBP when I was 38, and started taking 25 mg Atenolol once a day. I'm still taking the same dose. I recently bought an at home monitor when my doctor doubled my dose of atenolol. On the second day, after having finished a rather vigorous 1hr 20 minute work out, I had a BP of 113/48 and a swollen tongue.

Although I am back on 25 mg once a day, I am averaging a BP of 117/70 with side affects like vertigo and dizziness when standing. However, there are intermittant times when I get readings of 142/70ish. Not often, mind you, but once every few days. My doctor wants me to remain on medication because my readings in his office are so high. I am iatrophobic--I do not have white coat syndrome, I have a phobia of doctors. He reasons that if my pressure is high in his office that it is high at other times too. I disagree. My question is, arent' I better off without medication and keeping the rare 142's/70's than driving through rush hour traffic on the Dallas highways with the 100's/48's and a fuzzy head? That frightens me much more.
Since your systolic is rarely above 140 why risk a car accident. Also, 140 - 159 is considered mild hypertension and you rarely have this. Don't take the medication for a few days and see what happens. But do take your blood pressure several times a day. Do what you feel is in your best interest. Obviously, Doctors must look out for there best interest by having patients on medication for ongoing patient visits. Consider some supplements like aged garlic, cayenne, hawthorne berry, macca extract, vitamin e, lecithin or do a search for: Blood Pressure Factors. Also, eat food with lots of potasium (bananas, orange juice).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2004, 10:53 AM   #3

angelface25 HB User

I wouldn't really depend on that at home blood pressure moniter. I believe that they are not very accurate. The only one that does work properly is the one the doc gives u to take home and to do a 24 hr. blood pressure screening.
I have the white coat syndrome...I'm 25 and everytime i go to the doc , my bp (no lie) is about 160/110, to the point that the doc askes me if i'm feeling alright. Then 3 different times starting at the ripe old age of 16 i was put on the 24hr bp screening...and averaged a bp of 121/78. went thru the kidney ultrasound/ekg's/bloodwork, u name it...i've been thru it. Everything is normal!!!
But anyway.........Talk to the doc about the at home moniter.If he believes it's ok and that it works.........go for it!!! Good Luck

Old 01-09-2004, 03:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User

I believe home blood pressure monitors work. The important thing is to get the cuff right. They come with directions and illustrations.

Last edited by Rick7799; 01-09-2004 at 03:52 PM.

Old 01-12-2004, 06:57 PM   #5
(female)

Buying Time HB User

I've read lots of information about home BP monitors, and it spans from 36% of readings are inaccurate due to user error to they are so accurate that they are now used for medical studies.

As for me, I'm down to taking 12.5 mg atenolol once a day with no change in blood pressure--it still falls much too low and I haven't had a reading over 132/72, even after stressful events. I think my doctor is trying to medicate me for the purpose of normal readings in his office. Were he to sedate me into unconsciousness, I believe there would still be a part of me that KNOWS I'm in a doctor's office thereby making any BP reading far from normal. Other than the temporary high BP induced by having to see him EVERY THREE MONTHS that occurs only in his office, I seem to be taking medication for high blood pressure I've never had.

Old 01-13-2004, 03:08 AM   #6
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buying Time
I am 41, and in good health. I run 2-3 times a week, and work out 2-3 days a week. I was diagnosed with HBP when I was 38, and started taking 25 mg Atenolol once a day. I'm still taking the same dose. I recently bought an at home monitor when my doctor doubled my dose of atenolol.OF COUSE, CONTROLLING TO A DIASTOLIC OF 48 WAS REASON TO GET OFF On the second day, after having finished a rather vigorous 1hr 20 minute work out, I had a BP of 113/48 and a swollen tongue.

I don't usually quote the original post (to save bandwidth)but I think Buying Time does not have a single word that is not pertinent.

Buying Time,

Of course, getting off the 50mg with a diastolic of 48 made perfect sense...good for you to pick up on it before they found you in runnning shorts passed out in a ditch!

Keep a GOOD record with a couple readings a day...keep it in a bound notebook- it will serve you well your whole life,
and tell the doctor where to put his shygomanometer! I won't let mine come NEAR me ever again (my recent hospital stay was monitored with perhaps 100 BP readings...of which ONE was non-electronic (4 different machines...one portable not much grander than the one I have at home)). I'll match a decent electronic to a half deaf doctor ANY DAY! The machine hears beeps, the doctor hears $$$$.

Quote:
Although I am back on 25 mg once a day, I am averaging a BP of 117/70 with side affects like vertigo and dizziness when standing. However, there are intermittant times when I get readings of 142/70ish.
I read this as EXCELLENT control of BP and the dizziness is caused by perhaps a bit too MUCH control (called postural hypotension.)...

Quote:
My doctor wants me to remain on medication because my readings in his office are so high.
In truth-speak it means he wants more revenue this year!

What I would do in your situation (you must do as you see fit- I'm not a doctor) is to cut the atenolol to 12.5....(requires deftness of hand) and do a months trial with constant monitoring...at home and resting comfortably.
If AOK with that, see what you can do without the drug and just a low salt diet and some weight loss if you need it (works WONDERS). You have a lifetime to go back on the meds if you really need them, but taking them with no need is preposterous (but common) on the doctor's part (and dangerous for you).

Last edited by zip2play; 01-13-2004 at 03:24 AM.

Old 01-13-2004, 06:22 PM   #7
(female)

Buying Time HB User

Zip2Play:

These are some of the wisest words I've heard in a while. I've been down to 12.5mg for about a week now. I'm one of those atenolol users who can't wean off the medication quickly. The withdrawals are very painful--severe chest pains and a constant feeling of stage fright, so I cut my dose to 3/4 of a 25mg tablet for 10 days and I'll stick to the 1/2 tablet for a month. If I have anxiety-induced BP problems, I'll be happy to maintain on 12.5 mg of atenolol. I feel human again for the first time in two years.

I don't have any extra weight to loose, but I did cut my sodium intake. Excessive sodium causes me to retain water, but doesn't seem to affect my BP, so watching my sodium makes me more comfortable, especially since I stopped the diuretic my doctor prescribed some months ago. Caffeine affected by BP, so I gave it up about 18 months ago.

I hate taking medication almost as much as I hate doctors.

Last edited by Buying Time; 01-13-2004 at 06:23 PM.

Old 01-14-2004, 01:51 AM   #8
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Buying Time,

I'm so glad you're feeling better and CONGRATUALTIONS on being able to generate the 18.75 mg. dose of atenolol.....did you ever work as a diamond cutter ?

I think if you look VERY closely, you'll find that ANYTHING that causes water retention (as more sodium MUST cause an increase in BP. The body is religious about sodium concentration and dilution is the only way to keep it right ...and thus the same edema that you feel peripherally is occurring in your plasma. Put more water in the same hose and the pressure MUST go up.

Off topic:
I seem to have an idiosyncratic reaction to beta- blockers and that's INSOMNIA. Perhaps it occurs when the beta blocker wears off???? I've been on atenolol 50's for 3 weeks and haven't gotten more than 4 hours sleep all week. I think I'll be going back to my propranolol which I can titrate during the day since it has a very short life in the body and I can avoid it after 5 PM.
\
I hope you continue feeling good.

Old 01-14-2004, 05:47 AM   #9
(female)

Buying Time HB User

I've never worked as a diamond cutter, I think sheer determination was my motivating factor. Sometimes when I look at that tiny little pill to divide I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to grind it up and snort it instead

I'll be watching my sodium intake if for no other reason I've discovered that when you start cutting your sodium your taste for it wanes.

Atenolol makes me sleep really good, but for the first few months it gave me erotic dreams, or maybe I was already having them and it made them more vivid. One of the side affects of beta blockers is nightmares, but I never experienced them. If I drop my dose of atenolol too quickly, though, I'll have severe insomnia, so I know exactly what you mean.

Thank you for the well- wishes.

Old 02-10-2004, 08:06 PM   #10
(female)

Buying Time HB User

I have now officially weaned off atenolol completely. My BP is averaging about 123/76 on no medication. It's more stable now than when I was taking it as an every other day dose. It has taken about a month or so to lose the panicky feeling that at first started out as a constant state of stage fright and later waned into intermittant feelings of impending anxienty attacks. I feel calm for the first time in weeks. I feel like myself again.

Alhough it's still a bit early to tell if this will be my constant BP, I feel a bit angry about having been put on medication I never needed in the first place, and having taken it for over 2 years. Especially considering how awful the drug was to me and how painful the withdrawals have been.

Now I need to see another doctor so that I can have the misdiagnosis reversed so that I may get proper rates for health insurance and life insurance. I should have been suspect of my doctor when I told him that I was getting really low BP readings and he told me to stop taking my BP. It's a real shame that I am one of those people who can say without a doubt that I was healthier before I ever saw a doctor.

Old 02-11-2004, 05:34 AM   #11
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Buying Time,

Congratulations on the "withdrawal." I also stopped my propranolol 3 days ago (it's a good ween from atenolol) and will NEVER be induced to go on beta blockade again (unless I ever develop ustable angina-God forbid.)
So I guess we can call ourselves SURVIVORS!

(That doctor of yours sounds like a quack...and by that term I mean "typical GP.")

Old 02-11-2004, 03:31 PM   #12
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play
Buying Time,

Congratulations on the "withdrawal." I also stopped my propranolol 3 days ago (it's a good ween from atenolol) and will NEVER be induced to go on beta blockade again (unless I ever develop ustable angina-God forbid.)
So I guess we can call ourselves SURVIVORS!

(That doctor of yours sounds like a quack...and by that term I mean "typical G P.")

Zip what is propranolol? My endo gave me a prescription for this drug last month because my bp was 225/110. i was instructed to go back on zestric, verapamil, and propranolol. I didn't have propraolol filled because I thought it was a cholestrol lowering med.I refuse to take any more cholestrol meds unless I am close to death.

Old 02-11-2004, 06:08 PM   #13
(female)

Buying Time HB User

Zip,

I've never taken anything but toprol XL and atenolol, but from reading the information, it seems they ALL have potentially nasty side affects. What is it that a person is expected to do, try them all and choose the lesser of all evils?

Old 02-11-2004, 11:16 PM   #14

wr6969 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtu91952
Zip what is propranolol? My endo gave me a prescription for this drug last month because my bp was 225/110. i was instructed to go back on zestric, verapamil, and propranolol. I didn't have propraolol filled because I thought it was a cholestrol lowering med.I refuse to take any more cholestrol meds unless I am close to death.
Propranolol is a beta blocker. The most well known brand is Inderal, although you can easily get generic ones nowadays. It is an old drug used to treat hypertension. One of its side effects is to lower your resting heart rate, so your heart doesn't require that much oxygen and consequently lower your blood pressure. It's got nothing to do with cholestorol

Old 02-12-2004, 04:50 AM   #15
Inactive

zip2play HB User

The best (and worst) part of propranolol (Inderal) is that it has a half life of 2-4 hours in the regular, not time-release, formulation. Thus after about 8 hours it's nearly gone from your system.

This allows planning for things that often are ruined by beta-blockade (like SEX, sleeping a whole night, and walking up stairs <I exaggerate, but only on the last>)

Also if you are weening off one of the longer lasting blockers like atenolol or nadolol (3 day half-life...OY) you can take propranolol as needed for symptoms.

That's also what make it a good "stage-fright" pill.

Closed Thread