It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2004, 01:46 PM   #1

batesS HB User
HBP and nose problems????

Hi, I am 20 years old, male and have normal weight. 4 years ago I was diagonised with severe HBP. I took off and on Emconcor for about 3 years. off and on because I felt much better without then with. Until my GP and cardiologist told me last year that if I didn't take it everyday I would probably not reach 35 years of age. They put me on Indernal Retard then.
Since I took the medication for HBP 4 years ago I started to experience several symptoms which come and go. They are all nose realted. Dry nose, lots of mucus which drips in my throat, congested nose, sometimes bloody mucus, foul smelling mucus... Could this be related to the HBP or the medications?
Thank you for your input;

Old 02-09-2004, 03:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: HBP and nose problems????

Hi BatesS-
For the past 4 years you have been taking beta blockers for your HBP.
From the description of your symptoms it sounds as if you have some kind of rhinitis. This is the medical term for swollen nasal mucosa resulting in nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat, snoring, nasal quality to the voice, post-nasal drip and cough. The cause of rhinitis is either allergic or non-allergic. Allergic rhinitis more frequently begins at a younger age, has sneezing and itchy nose/palate/eyes as symptoms, occurs in families with allergies and is accompanied by other allergic conditions in the patient (e.g. asthma, eczema, food allergy). Non-allergic rhinitis is typically year round rather than seasonal.

Non-allergic rhinitis can be caused by certain medications, one of which is, yes, INDERAL.
Other medications that can produce nasal symptoms such as yours are aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents (Advil, Motrin, etc.), oral contraceptives, tricyclic antidepressants and overuse of over- the- counter nose sprays.

Sounds like your problems are either true allergy OR possibly related to the medication. High blood pressure does not produce these symptoms.

zuzu xxx

Last edited by zuzu8; 02-09-2004 at 03:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2004, 03:44 PM   #3
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu8
Hi BatesS-
For the past 4 years you have been taking beta blockers for your HBP.
From the description of your symptoms it sounds as if you have some kind of rhinitis. This is the medical term for swollen nasal mucosa resulting in nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat, snoring, nasal quality to the voice, post-nasal drip and cough. The cause of rhinitis is either allergic or non-allergic. Allergic rhinitis more frequently begins at a younger age, has sneezing and itchy nose/palate/eyes as symptoms, occurs in families with allergies and is accompanied by other allergic conditions in the patient (e.g. asthma, eczema, food allergy). Non-allergic rhinitis is typically year round rather than seasonal.

Non-allergic rhinitis can be caused by certain medications, one of which is, yes, INDERAL.
Other medications that can produce nasal symptoms such as yours are aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents (Advil, Motrin, etc.), oral contraceptives, tricyclic antidepressants and overuse of over- the- counter nose sprays.

Sounds like your problems are either true allergy OR possibly related to the medication. High blood pressure does not produce these symptoms.

zuzu xxx
I agree with your post. But I have the same symptoms, and they all started when my dr put me back on zestric. Now i can't sleep at night due to the dry nose and congestion. without the meds though my bp would be 225/106..

Old 02-11-2004, 04:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Yep, JTU-
ZESTORETIC is a killer when it comes to upper respiratory reactions:
Apart from the notorious ace inhibitor COUGH, you got your common cold (yes indeedy, although this would be temporary at the very beginning of treatment), plus nasal congestion, bronchitis, pharyngeal pain, shortness of breath, pulmonary congestion, chronic sinusitis, allergic rhinitis, throat "discomfort".

Have you tried other meds?

zuzu xx

Closed Thread