It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2004, 10:09 AM   #1
(female)

Nermal1975 HB User
Low systolic/high diastolic?

I've been on methyldopa for blood pressure since the birth of my son. However, my blood pressure has been stable at 111/85. Is this OK? I notice that the systolic is good, but the diastolic seems a little above normal. Is this a serious problem? Why does the medication seem to work for sys only, not both? I have been exercising four days a week to lose the pregnancy weight, but it seems to be stuck at that number.

Michelle

Old 03-19-2004, 11:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Low systolic/high diastolic?

Michelle-
Were you hypertensive before the pregnancy? I'm guessing not, since you've been taking methydopa which is one of the few meds that are considered safe for the baby to treat pregnancy- induced hypertension. And safe if you are nursing.
My guess is that once that final weight comes off, your diastolic will be as gorgeous as your systolic, which by the way, is considered the more important # as an indicator of future cardiovascular problems.

Are you monitoring your own BP at home?

P.S. If you are not nursing, you can switch to a different class of meds which might bring that diastolic down more.

Last edited by zuzu8; 03-19-2004 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Added a P.S.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2004, 11:58 AM   #3
(female)

Nermal1975 HB User

Thanks, Zuzu. A new medication? Should I definitely persue? Some of my diastolics were 112/82 or 83. Although, I should say my doctor prescribed I take two pills a day (1000/mg) but I was so exhausted (which was hard with a newborn baby). My blood pressure was like 110/60. My doctor told me to take one a day (500/mg) but I decided to take a half-a-pill every 12 hours so the medication wouldn't hit me as hard (I was still very tired and dazed.) About three weeks ago, I decided to go down with taking three 1/4-parts of one pill a day (that helped...I felt like myself for once!) I've stuck with the three 1/4-parts. I am monitoring my bp at home (a Samsung monitor).

I'm not nursing, so I could inquire about changing my meds; however, I feel like I just worked them out to where it suits my daily responsibilities. Do you recommend strongly to change? Is my bp that worrisome?

I appreciate your expertise and suggestions! Thank you very much!

Michelle

Old 03-19-2004, 12:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Michelle-
Your BP is not worrisome...just something to keep your eye on. But ideally the diastolic should be at or below 80. We're only dealing with a couple of points here. Continue to monitor at home, get back to your ideal weight and see what happens.

Did you have hypertension before you got pregnant?

Regarding a change of meds, this is something to discuss with your doctor.

Barring any health issues we don't know about, it just seems like there may be a simpler regimen for you, where you don't have to be going goofy splitting pills and worrying about side effects.

The angiotensin 2 receptor blockers (ARBS) such as Diovan, Benicar, Cozaar, Atacand etc. are virtually side effect free. I'm on Diovan 160mg once a day. Untreated my BP was 160/98'ish(!). Treated, a nice even-keeled 113/68-70 and often even lower. First med I've tried that produced good BP control with NO SIDE EFFECTS. And believe me, I've been through'em ALL.

zuzu xxx

Old 03-19-2004, 03:18 PM   #5
(female)

Nermal1975 HB User

Thanks Zuzu. Put simply...you are a good person. I've noticed you reply to just about everyone. THank you for your insight and thank you for your help.

Michelle

Oh, as for hypertension before pregnancy. It's debatable. I've had a few high blood pressures before pregnancy, but when I quit smoking the moment I found out I was pregnant, my blood pressures were quite normal.

I've been trying so hard to get back to my pre-preg weight. I have twenty pounds to go (I put on sixty!) Thanks again!

Last edited by Nermal1975; 03-19-2004 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Wanted to add something

Old 03-19-2004, 05:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Michelle-
If your blood pressure was essentially normal after you quit smoking, (and kudos to you for THAT!) I'll bet my bottom dollar that your diastolic will drop those few points when you return to your normal weight.

Come back here if you have any more questions or concerns. Lots of experts on this board who've been up and down and round and round on the hypertension merry-go-round!
Good luck!
zuzu xx

Closed Thread