It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2004, 01:26 PM   #1
(male)

Phantom_309 HB User
Question Insurance won't cover Micardis......but

I was recently put on Micardis due to HBP. The doctor gave me a free 2 month supply of 80mg Micardis to start off with (1 daily).

I called my insurance company and they won't cover Micardis at all. They did however say they would cover Avapro or Cozaar.

So far I have had ZERO side effects from Micardis. Are these other two drugs similar? Do they work as well?

Any comments welcome.

Old 04-01-2004, 01:37 PM   #2
Inactive

Random2 HB User
Re: Insurance won't cover Micardis......but

If it works with zero side-effects I would pay the extra few dollars just to get it. Trust me.

I have been on Toprol- Cold hands & arms, gastrointenstinal problems, dizziness, depression++++

Altace- The absolute worst!!!!!! More side-effects then anything else.

Lotrel- Works well on B/P, but still don't feel energetic on it.

Starting a new doctor next week. Sick of this!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2004, 05:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Phantom-

All three of these drugs are angiotensin 2 receptor blockers...same class.
You will probably experience zero side effects on whichever one you go with.
Cozaar is the oldest of the three. Tried and true. But I read a Canadian study recently in which there was a head-to-head comparison of Avapro and Cozaar. Both effective, but Avapro had a very slight edge in blood pressure lowering effects overall in that lower doses were needed to achieve desired BP than with Cozaar. I'm all the old adage "less is more". Less of ANY drug means less possibility of side effects from same.

Why not give the Avapro a shot? Ask your doctor if he/she has a preference for your specific needs....For instance, if you have chronic renal disease, studies on Avapro appear to support the possibility that this drug may be more "renoprotective" (kidney protective) than Cozaar.

I myself am on Diovan...same class... (and like you, it's not one of the "preferred" drugs on my insurance.)
I've opted to pay the extra because I've been through over a year of experimentation with other classes of BP meds (like Lillian's Axe went through!) and I am so happy to have found a drug that WORKS for me.
I've been reluctant to fool around, even though realistically, Cozaar or Avapro will probably do me just fine. I may switch yet.

Since it's really early days for you, when the two month supply runs out, see how you feel, both physically, emotionally (about a 'switch" that is) and financially...

And hey, if you DO switch and experience a problem you know you can always go back to Micardis and hopefully manage to pay the extra.
Bottom line: In theory you should do very well on either of the other options.

zuzu xx

Last edited by zuzu8; 04-01-2004 at 05:25 PM.

Old 04-02-2004, 04:39 AM   #4
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Phantom,

Go with the insurance company. Cozaar or Avapro are very comparable drugs. Paying for a year's Micardis out-of-pocket with the BEST price you can get in the USA by mail will cost you $ 2,302.56 (approximately ). At the corner pharmacy WITHOUT insurance company pricing deal, it will tally MUCH MORE than this.

Old 04-02-2004, 12:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Phantom-
Just to clarify...my insurance covers ALL the brand name drugs we've discussed, but only Cozaar and Avapro are on their "preferred" formulary list. All "non-preferred" brand name drugs are at a higher co-pay.
If I wanted Micardis, say, I would pay $36 for a 90 day supply.
If I chose to go with their "preferred" Avapro or Cozaar, they would give me a so-called "break" and charge $30. Six bucks less thank you very much.
As with all insurance companies, if there's a generic version, then the co-pay is even lower.
(Micardis and Avapro are not yet available generically. Too new.)

Does your insurance work like mine, or do they really not cover Micardis at all?.

I agree with Zip that if Micardis is not covered at all and you would be paying totally out of pocket, it isn't worth it.

zuzu xxx

The Following User Says Thank You to zuzu8 For This Useful Post:
woodee (11-16-2011)
Closed Thread