It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2004, 11:35 AM   #1

Gingerale123 HB User
Benicar 20mg/Hct

My doctor wants to switch me from Labatelol, which I was on since my stillbirth last September, to Benicar with Hydrocholithiazide in it.
Have any of you been on this???
Did you have any side effects??

I only tried one pill the day I went in for labor and delivery and I had so many things IV then that I don't know if I would have had side effects or not.
I never took another one and just went back to Labatelol.

Thanks for any input

Ginger

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2004, 11:41 AM   #2
(male)

sunbird_owner HB User
Re: Benicar 20mg/Hct

I take Benicar 20 mg without HCT. I have zero side effects. I run two to three times a week. I have to wait four to six hours before I run as it would increase the effort a bit. Basically, you will not know you are taking it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2004, 04:15 PM   #3
(female)

Sandra49 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbird_owner
I take Benicar 20 mg without HCT. I have zero side effects. I run two to three times a week. I have to wait four to six hours before I run as it would increase the effort a bit. Basically, you will not know you are taking it.

What do you mean by, "it would increase the effort". I run too, and when I was on Diovan/HCT I could not run, my legs felt like lead, and my vision I got blurred. I wondered would have done better taking it at bed time.

Old 06-10-2004, 05:21 PM   #4
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra49
What do you mean by, "it would increase the effort". I run too, and when I was on Diovan/HCT I could not run, my legs felt like lead, and my vision I got blurred. I wondered would have done better taking it at bed time.
i take avapro which is an ARB at bedtime, and i still get vision problems and leg problems which shows up the next day. I wonder if i'll ever find a bp pill that agrees with me. I was going to ask my dr if i could take diovan/hct, but it seems to be like the avapro.

Old 06-10-2004, 06:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

JTU....Read my post to sunny about the Avapro, as I seem to have the same problem as U. I take mine in the morning, but was going to switch to night to see if those darn leg pains would stop. Do U get them in both legs, as mine seems to be mostly my lower back and left leg and knee. God, sometimes after I have sat for awhile, I feel like a cripple trying to stand up straight again, and my knee feels horrid when I put any pressure on it. Trying to sleep is a nightmare, especially if I roll over on my left side, the pain wakes me right up. I'm about ready to dump the things down the toilet I am so disgusted. Take care, and I hope we both find something that agrees with us, and keeps the BP down.

P.S...Also tried Diovan and that did the same thing, plus tried Altace, which was a TOTAL NIGHTMARE of side effects. AARGGG God bless folks who have lil to no side effects, I seem to get them from most all drugs, as my old dr. said, I am VERY drug sensative.

Old 06-10-2004, 06:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

I am one of those people who seem to get every side effect listed and some that are not. I just started Benicar/HCT - 40/25. It's the highest dose they make ( have very hard to control HBP) I have 0 side effects from the Benicar
except for going to the bathroom a lot more.
Cass

Old 06-11-2004, 07:31 AM   #7
(male)

sunbird_owner HB User

Sandra,

For about four hours after taking Benicar, it is difficult to run because the heart is not working at optimal capacity. If you take Benicar at night, you should have no problem in the morning. I do not take HCT. Maybe your electrolytes are messed up. Maybe you could get a sample from the doctor of Beincar without HCT.
(I know this is unrealistic unless he happens to be a runner).

Old 06-11-2004, 07:10 PM   #8
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

[QUOTE=JJ]JTU....Read my post to sunny about the Avapro, as I seem to have the same problem as U. I take mine in the morning, but was going to switch to night to see if those darn leg pains would stop. Do U get them in both legs, as mine seems to be mostly my lower back and left leg and knee. God, sometimes after I have sat for awhile, I feel like a cripple trying to stand up straight again, and my knee feels horrid when I put any pressure on it. Trying to sleep is a nightmare, especially if I roll over on my left side, the pain wakes me right up. I'm about ready to dump the things down the toilet I am so disgusted. Take care, and I hope we both find something that agrees with us, and keeps the BP down.

P.S...Also tried Diovan and that did the same thing, plus tried Altace, which was a TOTAL NIGHTMARE of side effects. AARGGG God bless folks who have lil to no side effects, I seem to get them from most all drugs, as my old dr. said, I am VERY drug sensative.
jj, yes i get pain in the back of both legs and sometimes in my lower back. i can't say i have knee problems now bcuz that stopped. I have increased my walking to 8 miles a day (4 in the am and 4 in the pm).I had sleep problems but to stop the hives and itching of avapro, my dr gave me a script for benadryl.I'm losing weight steadily, so my bp should go down. Today bp was 130/70 with half a pill day before. Becuz i paid so much for this bottle of avapro, i'll keep it until done. You guys/gals on this board is pretty knowledgeable about bp meds. I thought i had taken evey bp pill on the market. verapamil and hctz seems to work ok for me, but i really need help with that top number:-(

Old 06-11-2004, 08:14 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Well my pain is in the lower back and down the side of my left leg and at the knee. Sometimes the right leg is sore too, but not as bad as the left. Today didn't seem all that bad, yet yesterday I was in real nasty pain, so I can't say it is constant, but definitely more on then off.

I know what U mean about the price, Avapro is expensive, but right now that isn't my biggest complaint. I'm going to call the dr. next week and explain the pain to him AGAIN and see what he says, as I did not have it on just the Atenolol. Altough I am so drug sensative, I'm sure there must be something out there to lower the BP and not cause such rotten pain.

Take care, and I personally don't think 130 is bad. I know they want BP to be 120/70, but even my hubby's cardio man said at times, that is a bit tuff to strive for with everyone. Hope I am not coming off as too anti-dr., but they seem to want numbers on things so low, that it is going to cause more and more folks to be on meds. when maybe it isn't really necessary. JMHO

Take care, and good luck with the drug combo....

Old 08-12-2007, 10:45 PM   #10
(female)

grannie6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerale123 View Post
My doctor wants to switch me from Labatelol, which I was on since my stillbirth last September, to Benicar with Hydrocholithiazide in it.
Have any of you been on this???
Did you have any side effects??

I only tried one pill the day I went in for labor and delivery and I had so many things IV then that I don't know if I would have had side effects or not.
I never took another one and just went back to Labatelol.

Thanks for any input

Ginger
Ginger,
Yes I have been on Benicar Hydrochoithzide but my was 40, the only symtoms I had were I had itching and burning on my arms, and if you take it make sure your arms are covered and you wear a suntan lotion because you can burn easier. Other than that it controled my blood pressure very good. Not everyone has the same problems with medication. Caroa

Old 08-12-2007, 10:52 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

joefine HB User

Every single BP med seems to give me every side effect there is, Benicar included. I took 20mg Benicar and had heart palpitations, and felt very bad, like semi-nausea, back pain too, I think.

Closed Thread