It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2004, 11:15 PM   #1
(female)

Meagan312 HB User
Low blood pressure, low pulse, fluctuations, palpitations - what's normal?

Sorry for throwing everything into one introductory post, but I'm not sure what symptoms are related and what's considered normal or abnormal. All medical advice seems directed towards people with high blood pressure. But what about the opposite, especially in a NON-athlete?

I've always had blood pressure in the 90s (I'm 43 yo now) and my doctor said it's normal. My pulse tends to range frm 48 to 55 or so. I tend to be low-energy, high-anxiety, with a tendency toward jitteriness and dizziness.

Recently, however, things got worse. I have fluctuations in my blood pressure that range from as low as 80s and even 70s at night (sys.) to as high as 120. When it goes over 105 or 110, I start feeling very jittery, have bad ringing in my ears and other funny symptoms. I know that's not a high blood pressure, but for ME ... it IS.

Compounding the issue is that I recently had two things throw me off -- one physiscal, one emotional. I lost my father four months ago, which is a constant source of severe grieving. And about six weeks ago I had a serious respiratory infection/flu/bronchitis. The illness and caugh are gone, but since then I've had the symptoms described above, especially in the evening and at night. I also have chest pains and constant fatigue.

My doctor did a battery of tests on me and the only thing he found wrong is a high sed rate. He has no further advice, but I feel awful and no one to turn to.

Is my blood pressure too low? Is it normal to feel very so uncomfortable when it goes up to otherwise "normal levels"? Any other thoughts on all this?

Many thanks!
Meagan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2004, 05:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Low blood pressure, low pulse, fluctuations, palpitations - what's normal?

Meagan,
You're right. Most of us on this board have a lot to say about #s that are high....Not so much about low BP.

Your blood pressure isn't too low unless when it IS at it's lowest, you get dizzy. But you're getting dizzy when it's elevated.

You mention that you are already "prone" to jitteriness (which I assume is anxiety related) and dizziness (also anxiety related?).

You say that when your systolic goes over 105 or 110 you start to feel jittery, have ear-ringing and other "funny symptoms".

The question is, which comes first: the chicken or the egg?

My guess is that you start to experience these symptoms and sensations first which sends you into slight panic mode, which then raises your blood pressure. Not the other way around.

Since the doctor has run a battery of tests on you, I wouldn't worry about the cause of your discomfort being of a serious organic/pathologic nature, but rather it may be an anxiety disorder. Has this been discussed with him?

zuzu xx

Last edited by zuzu8; 05-16-2004 at 06:20 PM.

Closed Thread