It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2004, 05:47 PM   #1

Ladybug1241973 HB User
Question BP of 180/90....High????

Is this considered very high? Should I be alarmed? Will the doctor want to give an RX for this BP reading? Any responses will be greatly appreciated
Thanks!!

Old 09-02-2004, 06:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User
Re: BP of 180/90....High????

Yep, that's pretty high, I would think your doc will probably want to start meds unless it's a once in a while thing that is caused by anxiety. Some people have what is called "White Coat Syndrome" anxiety at the doctors office.
How did you get this reading of 180/90? It is somthing to be concerned about but nothing to panic about. I would see a doc asap.
I hope this is some help, When I was first diagnosed with HBP I had no one to get info from and lived in fear for many years.
Take Care,
Cass

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2004, 05:51 AM   #3
(female)

grayfox HB Usergrayfox HB Usergrayfox HB User
Smile Re: BP of 180/90....High????

I agree also. You need to see your doctor. He will probably want to start you on medication. This is too important to ignore. Keep us informed.

Old 09-07-2004, 02:39 PM   #4
(male)

tattooyu HB User
Thumbs up Re: BP of 180/90....High????

Yeah, that's pretty high. I didn't realize I had high blood pressure until I went in for something else.

Mine was 160/110!

My doctor started me on an ABR-II med (less side effects), and I'm down to a consistent 130/75 after three weeks.

I am exercising nearly every day and eating fresh veggies/fruits, moderate intake of fats (mono/poly unsaturated only), healthy protein, moderate carbs (complex). I feel so much better, I can't even describe.

I'm hoping that in a few months to a year I'll drop enough weight to wean off the med.

The hardest things for me:

Getting up off my *** to exercise.
REALLY limiting going out to eat.
Finding something healthy when I do that doesn't cost an arm and a leg!

If you're in L.A., I recommend the Good Earth restaurant on Ventura (between Whitsett and Laurel Canyon). Very healthy and you can order light/no oil, light/no salt...very cool.

Old 09-08-2004, 12:50 PM   #5
(male)

junior26 HB User

How old are you ladybug?

Since it's only the systolic that's high, I would think that it's anxiety of betting your BP taken. Mine was 190/90 last week. And that was at the chiropractor! And at the REAL doctor, where I was extremely nervous, my BP was 155/85. Makes no sense, but hey. But your results still suggest anxiety. I would check up on it, but I wouldn't obsess over it.

If you're an older person, it's normal for the systolic to go up while the diastolic remains normal. This is caused by hardening of the arteries. If you're young, this is nothing to be concerned about.

Old 09-08-2004, 02:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug1241973
Is this considered very high? Should I be alarmed? Will the doctor want to give an RX for this BP reading? Any responses will be greatly appreciated
Thanks!!
Did you take your blood pressure several times, over several days? Blood pressure changes by hour, by day, by season, by event. You might have a blood pressure problem, but before I'd go on life long meds, I'd want a better record of my blood pressure. Perhaps you might consider several readings per day, over a week to give you a pretty good idea. Or, since the blood pressure can be seasonal, perhaps several readings, once per week, over several months?

Also...... Sometimes, while taking a blood pressure reading, my heart will jump. When this happens, it will give me a "somewhat" false high. If I take it again, without my heart doing a hard jump, I'll get a more normal reading.

Regards, and best of luck and health!

Old 09-08-2004, 02:21 PM   #7
(male)

junior26 HB User

It's true what beerzoids is saying about the heart "jumping". When it "jumps" because of anxiety just that single pump of the heart will affect the Mean Arterial Pressure, which is the average systolic pressure. Digital machines use this as your systolic pressure. And, it uses this to "calculate" your diastolic. So if you have the slightest anxiety and get that nervous "heart jump", the numbers can be way off, especially if you get several of those palpitations during your reading. I actually get lower measurements at the doctor's office (stethoscope method) than at home (machine). And I'm nervous as hell at the doc's! Just goes to show the difference results you can get between using sound vs. vibrations.

Last edited by junior26; 09-08-2004 at 02:23 PM.

Closed Thread