It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2004, 12:53 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User
Re: Is Benicar a good bp med and side effects

Hi,
I have taken Benicar 40/25 for 4 mos. I have absolutely no side effects at all . In the past I have taken BP meds that caused a verifity of side effects but not this one. Still one must consider that all of us react differently to these meds. As for the fear, I am still terrified to take new meds. I won't take anything new if I'm alone or on a Friday. I want to be sure I can get in touch with my Dr if anything goes wrong. So you are not alone in thinking this way.
Best of luck,
Cass

Last edited by CASSIEBEL; 10-07-2004 at 12:53 PM.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:40 PM   #17

palatina HB User

Thanks, Cass! Your reply to my message is so appreciated. You have a point there about not starting new meds over the weekend. I'm so glad to hear that you didn't experience side effects. Even though we are all different, it is so much better to hear it on this board than to read that insert that comes in the medicine box! It seems my dosage of 20/12.5 is minimal. I'll savor that fact for a while as I inch my way into this new world of HBP! Thanks so much again.

Last edited by palatina; 10-07-2004 at 04:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2004, 03:32 PM   #18
(male)

sunbird_owner HB User

I take Benicar 20 no HCT. No side effects. You may want to take it in the morning as it seems to keep me up at night if I take it at night.

Training for second half marathon.

Enjoy!!!

Old 10-07-2004, 04:17 PM   #19

palatina HB User

Marathons? Now that IS inspiring, Sunbird! I'm hoping to get off the couch real soon.

Did that dosage work very fast to bring your numbers down?

Now that I'm peeking a little bit out of my denial, I have now loaded the pills into my pill reminder box. Getting closer . . .

Old 10-07-2004, 06:27 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

You do have to be patient with Benicar as with most BP meds. It took a good 3 wks for me get a consistant low reading. At first it would be up and down but it finally settled down.
Good luck again!
Cass

Old 10-08-2004, 07:16 AM   #21
(male)

sunbird_owner HB User

For me it worked the next day. Not sure of the typical response.

BTW - That is HALF marathon. V-e-r-y big difference.

Old 10-10-2004, 12:59 PM   #22

palatina HB User
Reporting in on second day of BenicarHTC 20/12/5

I wanted to get back to this Benicar thread with some readings since starting BenicarHCT 20/12.5.

At dr. 10 days ago, I was 164/112, pulse 96 (was very anxious, hadn't been to dr. in years, had a pap, colon exam, blood draw, and also BP was taken about 8 times as it did rise over 164 depending on who took it and what cuff used).

At dr. a week later, I was 150/100 & got the meds.

Bought home monitor, started meds yesterday a.m. Readings were consistently in the 165/100 range, but cuff was too tight & would pop off sometimes. Pulse was averaging 66-70.

Bought large cuff & readings began to be consistently between 140-155 sys and 90-97 dia, with a 72 pulse.

This a.m. took second pill, bp has been as follows since then:

7:30 AM, 3 readings a few minutes apart:
140/99 p75
132/91 p71
138/92 p68

11:30 AM, 3 readings a few minutes apart:
159/95 p72
141/90 p72
142/91 p72

Due to the great advice on this board, I'm throwing out the first reading each session, and averaging the other two to chart my pattern. As for side effects so far, nothing major, I actually feel pretty good aside from the fear that the next reading will be "off the chart". I do have a bit of a headache.

Hope this helps someone just starting out, and I welcome comments! Thanks everyone on this thread, for your wonderful support! And zuzu picked me up on the anxiety thread and gave me words of wisdom that helped me get going on the pills and monitoring!!!!

Old 10-12-2004, 07:23 AM   #23

Gingerale123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLawanna
My doc just switched me from Micardis 80 mg to Benicar 40 mg. as the Micardis wasn't keeping my bp at good readings all the time.

I had no side effects with Micardis which I liked. Now I've read the side effects on Benicar and they seemed to cover a wider span than Micardis. They include dizziness, chest pains, and numerous others.

I thought the arbs were the lesser of the bp meds for bad side effects.

Has any one been on Benicar for any length of time and did you have any problems?
Hi,
I've been on 1/2 of a Benicar HCT (20/12.5) pill since around June of this year. My blood pressure has averaged about 100/60 with quite a few low drops of around 88/50. I think mine might be running too low most of the time. The only side effects I've had, which I think are due to the low blood pressure , is tiredness. OH, and my hemaglobin has been lower. I also have female problems which don't help with this, but it does have a side effect of causing your Hemaglobin and hematicrit to drop and I think it's done this with mine.
I'm on iron pills now.

ANyway, good luck with the meds. I think in general you'll like it.

Love,
G

Closed Thread