It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2004, 09:35 AM   #1
(male)

Scout- HB User
How do you calculate what your BP should be?

I'm completely new to all of this as last month was the first time in my adult life I had my BP checked..

Is it measured by height and age?

I keep hearing that 140/80 is the cut off point before one should start worrying about high BP? Ist that a general number relative for all or is it based on other factors?

I'm 6'3 and 27 years old...does anyone know what my BP should come out as if I were to be classed as having normal/good BP?

Thanks in advance.

Scout

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2004, 11:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: How do you calculate what your BP should be?

Hi Scout,

Here's the lowdown as far as I know on Blood Pressure 101 .

Blood pressure is the force of the blood pushing against the walls of the arteries. Each time the heart beats, it pumps out blood into the arteries. Your blood pressure is at its highest when the heart beats, pumping the blood. This is called systolic pressure. When the heart is at rest, between beats, your blood pressure falls. This is the diastolic pressure.

Blood pressure is always given as these two numbers, the systolic and diastolic pressures. Both are important. Usually they are written one above or before the other, such as 120/80 mmHg. The top number is the systolic and the bottom the diastolic. When the two measurements are written down, the systolic pressure is the first or top number, and the diastolic pressure is the second or bottom number (e.g., 120/80).
A blood pressure reading below 120/80 is considered normal. In general, lower is better. However, VERY low blood pressures can sometimes be a cause for concern and should be checked out by a doctor.

With high blood pressure, the arteries take a beating, and over time, one is at risk of heart disease and stroke.

Doctors classify blood pressures under 140/90 as either "normal," or "prehypertension."

"Normal" blood pressures are lower than 120/80.

"Prehypertension" is blood pressure between 120 and 139 for the top number, or between 80 and 89 for the bottom number.

FOR EXAMPLE: blood pressure readings of 138/82, 128/89, or 130/86 are all in the "prehypertension" range. If your blood pressure is in the prehypertension range, it doesn't mean you have high BP but it is more likely that you will end up with high blood pressure unless you take action to prevent it, like doing regular exercise, eating a good, balanced low-fat diet, reduce sodium intake to no more than 2400mg a day (read labels and don't add table salt to your food if you can help it), alcohol and caffeine in moderation and lose weight if overweight.

Hope some of this helped.

zuzu xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2004, 12:49 PM   #3
(male)

Scout- HB User
Thumbs up Re: How do you calculate what your BP should be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu8
Hi Scout,

Here's the lowdown as far as I know on Blood Pressure 101 .

Blood pressure is the force of the blood pushing against the walls of the arteries. Each time the heart beats, it pumps out blood into the arteries. Your blood pressure is at its highest when the heart beats, pumping the blood. This is called systolic pressure. When the heart is at rest, between beats, your blood pressure falls. This is the diastolic pressure.

Blood pressure is always given as these two numbers, the systolic and diastolic pressures. Both are important. Usually they are written one above or before the other, such as 120/80 mmHg. The top number is the systolic and the bottom the diastolic. When the two measurements are written down, the systolic pressure is the first or top number, and the diastolic pressure is the second or bottom number (e.g., 120/80).
A blood pressure reading below 120/80 is considered normal. In general, lower is better. However, VERY low blood pressures can sometimes be a cause for concern and should be checked out by a doctor.

With high blood pressure, the arteries take a beating, and over time, one is at risk of heart disease and stroke.

Doctors classify blood pressures under 140/90 as either "normal," or "prehypertension."

"Normal" blood pressures are lower than 120/80.

"Prehypertension" is blood pressure between 120 and 139 for the top number, or between 80 and 89 for the bottom number.

FOR EXAMPLE: blood pressure readings of 138/82, 128/89, or 130/86 are all in the "prehypertension" range. If your blood pressure is in the prehypertension range, it doesn't mean you have high BP but it is more likely that you will end up with high blood pressure unless you take action to prevent it, like doing regular exercise, eating a good, balanced low-fat diet, reduce sodium intake to no more than 2400mg a day (read labels and don't add table salt to your food if you can help it), alcohol and caffeine in moderation and lose weight if overweight.

Hope some of this helped.

zuzu xx
Wow! thanks for that. It's just what I needed.

Scout

Closed Thread