It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2004, 07:25 AM   #1

wolfie208 HB User
Any foods that instantly help lower high blood pressure?

I know that following a healthy diet and treatment help control high blood pressure but I need to know if there are any of those "special" foods that show quick results.

Old 09-27-2004, 12:36 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

stormy78 HB User
Re: Any foods that instantly help lower high blood pressure?

Well I'm not sure about instantly lowering BP, but I read that drinking 2 glasses of Orange Juice a day or eating bananas will help lower it. That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2004, 12:57 PM   #3

naes HB User

I heard oatmeal can lower your cholestorol and blood pressure.

Old 09-27-2004, 02:51 PM   #4
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I read that celery lowers bp and high fiber foods such as beans.

Old 09-27-2004, 02:58 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

I don't know about the speed, but blood pressure lowering foods are cantaloupe,bananas, watermelon, oranges, orange juice, potatoes, spinach and zucchini.

Old 10-02-2004, 01:11 AM   #6

lizva HB User

Celery was one I've heard helps too. Apparently it's been used in Chinese medicine for years. I read in a book to have 2 sticks of it a day. I've only been trying it for a week so I can't say if it works yet, but seems worth a try.

Old 10-02-2004, 05:00 AM   #7
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Anything without much sodium helps a lot...as long as the thing you ate before and the thing you eat after is also low salt!

Old 10-02-2004, 11:25 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Am I wrong? I thought celery was high in sodium.
Cass

Old 10-02-2004, 12:34 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

Me too Cass. It has 35.2 mg per stalk.

Old 10-03-2004, 02:43 AM   #10
Inactive

zip2play HB User

YEah,

I, too, always thought that celery was a high sodium veg but found out a while ago that it's not too bad after all...but there must be something else in it that helps BP go down because so many people report it does.

Cassie,
No I wasn't saying that your post with the celery was off mark but rather addressing the original question about which foods generally lower BP...thus ANY low salt food.

Given all the choices of high salt horrors, celery at 35.2 per stalk is pretty low sodium in context of a can of soup with something often in the range of 2000 mg. sodium<eccch>, so that can of soup is 63 stalks of celery!<<Ehhh, what's up doc!>

Old 10-03-2004, 10:34 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play
YEah,

I, too, always thought that celery was a high sodium veg but found out a while ago that it's not too bad after all...but there must be something else in it that helps BP go down because so many people report it does.

Cassie,
No I wasn't saying that your post with the celery was off mark but rather addressing the original question about which foods generally lower BP...thus ANY low salt food.

Given all the choices of high salt horrors, celery at 35.2 per stalk is pretty low sodium in context of a can of soup with something often in the range of 2000 mg. sodium<eccch>, so that can of soup is 63 stalks of celery!<<Ehhh, what's up doc!>
No Zip,
I didn't think you were questioning what I said. I was really curious about the celery. I have tried to follow a low sodium diet for so long but find it very difficult to figure out. I know the guidelines but hve a problem finding the hidden sodium in things.
Cass

Old 10-06-2004, 12:20 PM   #12
Inactive

Rickhard HB User

i've read eating ground flax seed will lower bp. i've been eating it since june. on aug 24 i got the best bp reading of my life 118/78. i only had one abnormally high reading in my life and i've never been on bp meds. i do a lot of exercise. i'm 48. i eat a half cup of ground flax everyday. i cook it with my oats. ground flax and exercise should help a lot. please learn more about the many health benefits of flax, the healthiest food on earth. good luck.

Old 10-07-2004, 05:31 PM   #13
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickhard
i've read eating ground flax seed will lower bp. i've been eating it since june. on aug 24 i got the best bp reading of my life 118/78. i only had one abnormally high reading in my life and i've never been on bp meds. i do a lot of exercise. i'm 48. i eat a half cup of ground flax everyday. i cook it with my oats. ground flax and exercise should help a lot. please learn more about the many health benefits of flax, the healthiest food on earth. good luck.

Rickhard, i would like to try the flax seeds but don't know where to buy them. Once i buy flax seed are you saying to just boil it. Would i have to prepare it with other foods, say oatmeal? Can it be sweeten with splenda? Confused.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:49 PM   #14

palatina HB User

I don't know whether it instantly lowers BP, but I find it interesting that for the last couple of months I have been sprinkling celery seed on LOTS of my foods. In fact, I sort of craved it. At my first doctor's appointment in a long time this past week, I was diagnosed with HBP. I believe the body tells us what it needs if we listen. I'm supposed to start my meds, but I am hesitant. Wish I could do it all naturally.

Old 10-08-2004, 03:54 AM   #15
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Smile Re: Any foods that instantly help lower high blood pressure?

I hate to burst your bubble but if your high BP is hereditary it won't matter what the heck you eat. I have been an athlete for years and eat all healthy foods daily. All of these foods and the flaxseed have been a part of my diet for years and guess what for 1 1/2 years I have been on meds for high BP and cholesterol. The Doctor said it's in my genes and I have to believe this since I have done everything right when it comes to good health. By the way I also wasted alot of money on natural herbal products before I would go on on meds put out by the pharmaceutical companies. Needless to say I'm on Diovan and Zetia and it is the only thing controlling my situation...I hope it works for you..Lisa

Last edited by Moxie75; 10-08-2004 at 03:55 AM.

Closed Thread