It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2004, 05:37 PM   #1

kfz45 HB User
Are there any over the counter water pills safe to take?

I am planning to go see the doctor I've never met this week and ask for a water pill to go along with my atenolol which I have decided to keep for the moment.
If she doesn't agree to that are there any over the counter pills safe to take?
Most of the ones I've seen have some form of postassium, which I think is contraindicated with atenolol.

Thanks

Old 10-04-2004, 04:34 AM   #2
Inactive

zip2play HB User
Re: Are there any over the counter water pills safe to take?

kfc,

They sell these DOAN'S PILLS kind of thing in any drugstore and variants of the same in every health food store. They are SLIGHTLY diuretic and quite expensive. They rely on a melange of herbals with diuretic properties. Hydrangea, dandelion, something caled buchu, couchgrass, uva ursi, horsetail...many herbs work like this.
HCTZ costs pennies a pill and works much better.

Your new doctor WILL agree that it's a good place to start and if ou arm yourself with a couple printouts from any search involving "FDA recommendation +hypertension" or wording to that effect you can make your doctor COWER in fear at your knowledge.

Just tossing the some vague reference to the fact that the FDA has found that diuretics and beta blockers work BETTER than any other classes of drugs and that doctors are only prescribing the others because they are being BRIBED (choose a kinder word, induced?) by drug companies to do so oughtta get you a bottle of thiazides.
Psst, ask for 11 renewals on that Rx!

Good Luck.

(Oh yeah, always throw in something like "Doctor, sometimes my ankles and fingers seem SOOOO puffy, what can that be?" )

Last edited by zip2play; 10-04-2004 at 04:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2004, 03:57 PM   #3

kfz45 HB User

zip2play
You are so funny! I am going to the mirror to practice my delivery right now.

Old 10-05-2004, 09:54 AM   #4
(male)

tattooyu HB User

That is hysterical!

I have an appointment tonight with my GP. I have been keeping a log of my BP over the last 2-3 weeks, and it's hovered right around 123/68 on Diovan HCT, with occasional spikes around 130/78.

About the fact that my BP spikes 15-20 points when I'm at his office...

I'm going to practice my delivery about telling him that I checked my monitor against two different RNs monitors and it (and my technique) are good.

Then...

BAM! KICK IT UP A NOTCH
(I'm an Emeril Live junkie)

...bust out my sphyg. for him to check and show him the log of my BPs!

Old 10-05-2004, 03:58 PM   #5
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

tattoo, i envy your bp even when its spiked. My bp is still not managed yet, but i will be seeing a new gp soon and hope to get a referral to a cardio. Your ##s are great!

Old 10-05-2004, 04:20 PM   #6
(male)

tattooyu HB User

Thanks. It wasn't always this way. My BP before getting on meds was 160/110!

You just have to find the right combination of meds, and if you are overweight, definitely shed the pounds (I'm working on that).

I brought my monitor to work. On my break it was 135/80. I think I'm stressing about seeing the doctor AND I happened to have a really bad meal yesterday (BBQ beef ribs) for a special occasion (I usually eat REALLY healthy), so I think that's contributing.

I'm sure at his office, it will be something like 8000/2300!

Last edited by tattooyu; 10-05-2004 at 04:21 PM.

Old 10-06-2004, 07:22 AM   #7
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Isn't it AMAZING that we have to practice techniques up to and including Kick Boxing and karate chops before going in to see these arrogant JO's!

Last edited by zip2play; 10-06-2004 at 07:33 AM.

Old 10-06-2004, 07:37 AM   #8
(male)

tattooyu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play
Isn't it AMAZING that we have to practice techniques up to and including Kick Boxing and karate chops before going in to see these arrogant JO's!
You said it buddy!

I went last night to my GP. And, I brought my cuff. He took my BP and didn't tell me the numbers. Then, he said to take mine (other arm) with my cuff.

Guess what...?

We both got around 160/90. So, what does that mean?

That means my cuff is fine.
That means my technique is fine.
That means I have Whitecoat HT!

So, finally (I think) he went with my numbers I logged at home. The systolic was still in the 120's, and he wants that to be lower. So, he is going to have me take another 80mg of plain Diovan in addition to my Diovan HCT 160/25.

I just hope that it doesn't lower my diastolic too low, which is already around 65-70 at home.

Old 10-06-2004, 12:19 PM   #9
Inactive

zip2play HB User

I did the same with my cardiologist. In fact he changed to a larger or smaller sleeve after the first reading. After that my electronic and his hand pump gave exactly the same results.
Mine is calibrated at 160...it goes up to 160 and deflates. I've taken 100 readings. BUT the first reading in his office, the compressor pauses at 160 and auto sets to the NEXT level of 200 and starts compressing some more...If that isn't WHITE COAT I don't know what is.

At least my cardiologist said it's the worst case of white coat he's ever seen...my GP (last 2 actually) mutters white coat and then makes believe ther IS no such thing.

My cardiologist got to see about 50 hospital readings after my stent was put in ALL UNDER 120/80 with no medication. In his office we could never get a systolic under 170.

Last edited by zip2play; 10-06-2004 at 12:21 PM.

Closed Thread