It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2004, 07:35 PM   #1
(male)

Tony1944 HB User
How long to see results of Lisinopril?

I hadn't checked my blood pressure, which has always been normal, for 2 or 3 months. This past Saturday I checked it and it was 155/90. We purchased a wrist BP tester and Sunday and Monday my BP went as high as 178/98. I went to my Doctor Tuesday and he prescribed 10mg of Lisinopril once a day. I've only take 2 doses but my BP is averaging about 160/97. I was wondering how long it takes to see improvement and if I should wait the month to have my Doctor test me again or should I call if it stays this high. Thank you for any replies. I just joined this board. I also wonder how much stress may have to do with this. We went through 2 hurricanes here and I have been very stressed because of damage and finances. Thanks again, Tony.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: How long to see results of Lisinopril?

Tony,

Many ACE INHIBITORS such as lisinopril may take 2 to 4 weeks before a maximum blood pressure response and full benefit of the drug occurs.

Whenever BP therapy is initiated, in many people blood pressure declines at a gradual rate...so I wouldn't be too concerned that your BP is still elevated after only two doses.

However, you should definitely see a relatively significant improvement within 2 weeks...If nothing budges AT ALL after the first week, then I would call the doctor to ask if he wants to wait the full month.

Oh, and yes, after two hurricanes, the stress and all the anxiety you are now going through can raise blood pressure big-time.

Have you really always had NORMAL BP until 2-3 months ago?
Does your doctor know this?
It sure is a big coincidence that it's only post hurricane that your blood pressure is elevated.

Am wondering if this elevation is really only temporary. Something to discuss with your doctor I think.

One thing you should do though, is invest in an arm-cuff auto-inflate digital home monitor and stay away from the wrist one. They are not as accurate in general, nor particularly consistent.

zuzu xxx

Last edited by zuzu8; 10-07-2004 at 01:29 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2004, 05:42 AM   #3
(male)

Tony1944 HB User

Zuzu,

Thank you for your reply. As far as always having normal BP I can only go by my physicals every 2 or 3 years and checking it at the grocery stores. I hadn't checked my pressure since before the hurricanes. I'm 59 and have been very stressed for other reasons for some time now. I'm embarrassed because of my inability to control my anxiety and I guess that makes the problem worse.

Tony.

Old 10-07-2004, 05:26 PM   #4
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I found lisinopril to be a very, very good med for bp. When i was on it my bp was always normal or low. However, due to side effects and allergic reactions i had to stop using it. I've also tried avapro (arb cousin to ace) and the same allergic reaction started.

Since my lisinopril days, my bp has not been controlled since.

Old 10-07-2004, 08:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Tony..I couldn't agree more with zuzu. Seems like U are under alot of stress, and could this be the reason for the high readings???? Did your dr. monitor your BP for any length of time before suggesting meds., or did he/she put U on them after one high reading?

Definitely invest in a good BP monitor with an arm cuff, and make sure U get one that fits your arm. Those wrist ones are not very reliable at all, and if U don't get a cuff one that is fit for U, it will give U false readings. There are quite a few good ones out there, which are resonably priced, so ask your pharmacist for some info. on them. Even WalMart has one that is suppose to be quite accurate, I think it is called re-li?? Not sure, as I have an Omron, and most folks have good luck with them.

As zuzu said, I would discuss with your dr. if he/she really thinks U have high BP, or is it all anxiety, then he/she could possibly give U something to relax you and relieve some of that anxiety. Hate to see U on BP meds. if not really necessary. If U really do have a BP problem, it does take about 2 to 4 weeks for most to kick in.

Wishing you well, and good luck....

Old 10-08-2004, 11:39 AM   #6
(male)

Tony1944 HB User

JJ,
I went to my doctor after checking my bp in a store and it was high. A nurse took my pressure 164/94. The doctor came in and wrote the prescription, didn't even listen to my heart or anything else. He also sent me for a blood test and urinalysis. I called the doctor's office this morning to ask if the tingling in my right arm is normal and am still waiting for an answer. I guess I need to find a new MD.
Thanks...........Tony.

jtu91952,
What was the nature of your allergic reaction to these meds?
Thanks.........Tony.

Old 10-08-2004, 01:36 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Wait and see what the dr. has to say. I know when they first saw my BP high, my dr. had me check it at home, and he also had me come in every month for 3 months, then decided to put me on meds. Trust me, if U are not satisfied with answers U get from this dr., find another one. Seeing he did blood work and also urinalysis, does sound like he/she is trying to get to the root of it, so hang in there for now.

My dr. retired and I have gone thru 3 drs. in the last 4 years, as I have NOT been satisfied with the others at all. They seem to shove me in and out and never take time to explain any questions I ask them, and I don't like feeling like I am on an assembly line. Good luck...

Old 10-08-2004, 02:53 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Tony,
It makes me CRAZY that some (notice I say only some) physicians initiate drug therapy without FIRST doing a simple BASIC preliminary clinical examination ( checking heart and lungs, abdomen, neck arteries, eyes, pulses, reflexes etc and then doing a blood panel, urinalysis). Since you're a patient who has been under unbelievable stress recently, are very anxious, and your #s are NOT sky high PLUS you have a previous history of normal blood pressure, your doc should have performed all this before he pushed lisinopril on you.

A 3-month trial of lifestyle modification before initiating drug therapy would sound reasonable in your case in my humble opinion (but I'm not a doctor, just a reasonably well-informed patient who reads a lot). All the while monitoring your own BP at home with a reliable monitor. Perhaps see the doctor twice during this time.

An anti-anxiety agent might also be of tremendous help to you right now.

Lifestyle modifcation might include regular aerobic exercise (even doing a 15-min-mile pace walk 3 times a week), a diet low in salt, moderate alcohol intake, and (if overweight), reduced calories and weight loss.

When I first started getting mildly elevated readings in my gynecologist's office (after a lifetime of 120/70), I didn't have a GP so the gyne monitored me for a year, every 3 months or so. BP was very labile. Sometimes up, sometimes normal, at which point he suggested a GP he knows and told me to call him, tell him the #s I'm getting and make an appt. to get a thorough check-up.

Now get THIS.... I call brand new GP, get him on phone, tell him my latest BP #s (I think it was 150's/90's) and that I need a good internist etc etc.... and ON THE PHONE WITHOUT EVEN SEEING ME, KNOWING ME, OR KNOWING MY HEALTH HISTORY, he prescribes a beta blocker to be started before my appointment.

Talk about malpractice! (My BP has probably just spiked mentioning this!) Beta blockers are seriously contraindicated in certain people. He had absolutely no idea if I was one of'em. OR for that matter, if I was truly hypertensive.

Anyway, enough about my tales of woe and I really don't want to doctor-bash (well...at least not too much....) but taking the lisinopril short term won't kill you. HOWEVER, when your test results come in, if all is normal, I would have a discussion with your doc about dropping the lisinopril, and instead, taking something for the anxiety, monitor your BP for a while and initiating some lifestyle changes. You may or may not have hypertension but it would be good medicine to do the above before getting on the BP med merry-go-round.

zuzu xxx

Old 10-08-2004, 04:31 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

AMEN zuzu, I couldn't have said it better. Wish my old dr. never retired, I swear, he and my GYN are the only 2 who actually listened to me and try to work with me. Don't want to dr. bash either, but most of them are way too eager to shove ya on a pill for everything.

My old dr. always knew me to have normal, to below normal BP, so needless to say he was shocked when it was way up there at one visit. At least he tried everything else possible before shoveing me on a pill, but these new ones want to keep upping the dose, or changing it to something else, even though I tell them it is fine at home, and even bring in my read outs. So far I have avoided anymore, in fact I had one dr. knock down the dose, as my BP at home was getting too low. I swear, some of them need a refresher course in practicing medicine!!! Take care.....

Old 10-08-2004, 04:43 PM   #10
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1944
JJ,
I went to my doctor after checking my bp in a store and it was high. A nurse took my pressure 164/94. The doctor came in and wrote the prescription, didn't even listen to my heart or anything else. He also sent me for a blood test and urinalysis. I called the doctor's office this morning to ask if the tingling in my right arm is normal and am still waiting for an answer. I guess I need to find a new MD.
Thanks...........Tony.

jtu91952,
What was the nature of your allergic reaction to these meds?
Thanks.........Tony.

Sorry Tony, im just answering you, but i was in the hospital.My allergic reaction was severe itching, swelling of lips and face and hives all over my body including my eys. Unfortunately, bcuz my gp is stupid and refuse to help find a bp pill that works for me with little side effects, I was forced to try and get my bp down from 195/96 all the way up to 225/130. Its a long story, but i ended back on the lisinopril today to lower my bp which it did immediately. I took (today) 10 mg of lisinopril, 12.5mg of hctz, 240mg of verapamil and .25mg of toprol. Within 3 hours my bp was 130/82. I am allergic to toprol and lisinopril, but the verapamil &hctz doesn't lower my bp enough. In the ER they monitored my heart and bp. It stated up for the whole 2 days, it would not go below 160/96, so i will be seein a cardio dr on monday.

Lisinopril is a good drug (to me) it really works great, but this is only for the short term until i see my new dr. I can't risk swollen face, lips and hives. Oh yes, Im also having problems with my feet (toes tingling right now. I would really like to try the benicar.

Old 10-08-2004, 05:40 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

jtu...why won't your dr. try U on the Benicar? As far as the Lisinopril, I believe that is an Ace drug, and swelling like U had is a side effect, and they tell U NOT to use it if that happens. I was on Altace, which is an Ace, and I got the ALMIGHTY cough, flushing, and foot swelling, plus alot of diahrrea, but my dr. still wouldn't take me off of it, said it wasn't the drug.

After finally getting heart palps. they shoved me on Atenolol, 25 mgs., and after a few weeks I took myself off the Altace, plus switched drs. I know many folks who take Ace drugs and do fine, hubby being one of them, but I didn't. As U know, now they added Avapro, and I cut the Atenolol back down to 25, as they wanted me on 50, and that dose sucked. I'm not crazy about the Avapro, but will deal with it till I see the dr. again, as I am still peeing my brains out, no infections, and also have the lower backache and leg pain, but not as bad as before.

I told the dr. about the constant peeing for 5 hrs after I take the Avapro, but he told me it was impossible for it to be the drug, as it wasn't a diurectic. Naturally I told him I knew that, but I never had the problem till I started them, but he just walked out, gave me a look like I was nuts, so I said to myself.."To hell with it"! Ya get sick of argueing with them at times, and that day I just was in NO mood. Hope your pressure stays down and your appt. with the cardio guy goes well. Your pressure was pretty high, so just take it one day at a time, and all my thoughts and prayers are with ya...

Old 10-09-2004, 05:35 AM   #12
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

JJ, thank u so much for your kind words. My how i miss my endo, he left and went back to Russia. He would at least listen to me. Ijust had to quit the lisinopril again due to eyes itching and face swelling. Avapro gave me an infection and face swelling. In the ER they put me on a glycerin patch. It only held my bp at 140/72.

I finally quit smoking since being in the hospital. I smoked my last cig wednesday at noon. Being diabetic it was a long time coming. I chew alot of extra ment gum. Keep me in your prayers that i can atleast stop with the cigs. My bp is in the toilet.

Old 10-09-2004, 09:00 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

JTU, HBP and still smoking? Shame on you.

Old 10-09-2004, 04:41 PM   #14
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharkins
JTU, HBP and still smoking? Shame on you.

Bharkins, you know that ain't the half of it. Also diabetic, with hbp and thyroid problems. But i've never had any problems until i was prescribed bp meds that caused my down fall. Long story. I was recently told by the ER dr that he was surprised my heart looks so good. I had just completed the nuclear imaging and stress test.

Im so glad i have stopped smoking. It's been 4 days no cigs.

Old 10-09-2004, 06:03 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

JTU, All the more reason to quit. I smoked for forty years and had to quit when I had a stroke. In fact, the stroke hit me when I was enjoying that morning coffee and cigarettes. I never had any signs of HBP. That was the last time I smoked a cigarette. It was one of the most difficult things I had to do but I knew it was imperative. Just picture yourself in a wheelchair, seeing double and having trouble swallowing. This lifesize picture may help you to stay off the butts. That's what happened to me . Thank God, I pulled out of that situation.

Closed Thread