It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2004, 02:48 PM   #1

BiBi57 HB User
Question BP Higher at Night?

I'm on high blood pressure medicine and have noticed that my blood pressure is at a normal reading in the morning and afternoon but in the evening it goes up to the "high" level" even after just taking atenelol. Does anyone else experience this? Anyone know the reason?

Old 10-08-2004, 03:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: BP Higher at Night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiBi57
I'm on high blood pressure medicine and have noticed that my blood pressure is at a normal reading in the morning and afternoon but in the evening it goes up to the "high" level" even after just taking atenelol. Does anyone else experience this? Anyone know the reason?
I'll give you some terms to research. First of all, everyone has a circadian rhythm. That means that, certain times of each day, your endocrine system pumps out additional hormones. For instance, at night, "normally" the pineal gland pumps out additional melatonin, assisting humans and animals to sleep.

You have nocturnal hypertension, which means, of course, that your blood pressure is higher at night than it is during the day.

There are three main daily patterns for hypertension, diurnal (or dipper) hypertension, which is the most common, where the blood pressure is higher during the daytime, and dips during the night. There is also non-dipper hypertension, where the blood pressure is higher during the daytime, but does not dip during the night.

I have nocturnal hypertension. My blood pressure is lower during the morning, and then proceeds to climb during the day. At night, not only does my blood pressure go much higher, but my symptoms get worse then also.

Six years ago, in 1998, I was getting increased bouts of weakness, rapid heartbeat, fatigue, dizziness, hypertension and a tight chest. At the doctors office, in the morning, my blood pressure was fine, but at home it was much higher.

I started taking my blood pressure multiple times per day, in order to determine if my hypertension problems, and increased symptoms were frequent or infrequent. Basically, I wanted to know what was going on with my blood pressure.

I found out which meds were effective at controlling my symptoms, how long it took for each medicine to start working, and when each medicine started losing it's effect. Over time, I was able to significantly change the meds I was taking, and the dosages, and I have significantly lessened my blood pressure and associated symptoms. It has taken me a long time, and a lot of learning, and a lot of frustration.

At this point I have almost 14,000 reading, with all kinds of comments, by date and by hour. I produce charts and reports, which I take to my doctor.

Now..... back to you.

Nocturnal hypertension is mostly associated with either pre-diabetes, or diabetes. I don't have diabetes, but I have problems with high triglycerides, which is supposed to be a warning that diabetes could become a problem.

I can't eat anything with sugar, or carbohydrates after 6pm at night, or I'll suffer from increased symptoms all night long. Also, I've had to lower my daily consumption of carbohydrates and sugar. There are some meds that I can take during the morning, but if I take them at night, I react badly to them.

Just wanted to feedback, a little, of what I have learned about my own nocturnal hypertension.

Do you have similar problems? You are the first one that I have met, in years, that has nocturnal hypertension, so I wouldn't mind sharing notes.

Regards, and best of luck and health!

Last edited by Machaon; 10-08-2004 at 04:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2004, 06:07 PM   #3

BiBi57 HB User

This is all very interesting to me and helps explain a lot. I have been on numerous HBP drugs but currently on Avalide (ARB with diuretic) 300 mgs. in morning and Atenolol 50mg 2X a day. I have been experimenting taking the atenolol - first dose at 5 p.m. and second dose at 10 p.m. to see if that makes a difference in nocturnal hypertension. It's also interesting that you mentioned the pre diabetes thoery. My dad has had high blood pressure all his life life (he is now 80 yrs.) and just recently got it under control through a good cardiologist. He has borderline diabetes and it runs in my family. At last exam my blood test did not indicate diabetes but that is definitely food for thought. I am tracking my numbers very carefully to get a pattern before I see a cardiologist this month. What has been your experience with different drugs? I have a high resting pulse so beta blockers work for me best but atenolol at 100 mgs! My doctor mentioned a betablocker that lacks the negative side effects. Do you know what one that is? He said is more expensive. It sounds like you have your situation under control and I want to control this frustrating disease while I am still relatively young (mid forties). Thanks so much for your insight!

Old 10-08-2004, 08:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Beerzoids,
That is very interesting info. I also have normal Bp in the am then a gradual increase throught the day. Example: 116/69 @ 10:00am 151/81 @10:00pm. I also have high trigycerides and a weakness for sweets and carbs. I am on BenicarHCT 40/25, atenolol 75, and clonidine .05 as needed. I take the Benicar and 25mgs of the atenolol in the am and 50mgs of atenolol at bedtime with the clonidine if my systolic BP is over 150. I have been trying to solve this problem for 25 yrs with very little success.
I have always had normal blood sugar readings every year.
What do you think about my situation?
Cass

Old 10-11-2004, 08:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiBi57
What has been your experience with different drugs?
I've tried Lasix (loop diuretic), Accupril (ace inhibitor), Extended release Nitro, Digoxin and Verapamil (Calcium Channel Blocker).

I've experimented for long periods of time with each med, by increasing or decreasing them for one or more weeks, and by gradually stopping them altogether and staying off of them for, from several weeks to several months.

I've found out that I need Digoxin to prevent tachycardia and slow my heart beat.

I need Verapamil to lower my blood pressure and control other arrhythmia problems.

The extended release nitro helps with my blood pressure but it causes uncomforable rhythm problems.

The Lasix lowers my blood pressure but gives me all kinds of rhythm problems and breathing problems.

The Ace inhibitor lowers my Systolic blood pressure, somewhat, no matter how much I take of it, and it works with few side effects. The only problem I have had with this med is additional heart rhythm problems if I consume too much potassium.

The only med that effectively controls my blood pressure is Verapamil, but only from certain manufacturers.

I've also tried beta blockers, had too many heart rhythm and breathing problems from them, so I stopped taking them. Since I was on other meds, at the time, I don't know whether it was the beta blocker, or an interaction with my other meds.

Another problem is, that things that one eats or drinks can also interact with a medicine. Drug manufacturers are not going to test their meds extensively enough, against food and drink interactions, since they don't want to chance not getting the drug approved.

Quote:
I have a high resting pulse so beta blockers work for me best but atenolol at 100 mgs! My doctor mentioned a betablocker that lacks the negative side effects. Do you know what one that is?
There is not one drug known to mankind that doesn't come with side effects. Most doctors know very little about how any medicine will react with any patient, especially if the patient is on more than one med. Your doctor can't possible know how your environment, diet and lifestyle effects your meds.

I've been to many different doctors. With the seriousness of my heart disease, I've had to be very pro-active. I've said NO more times than YES to my doctors, regarding trying meds. I research them first before I would ever try another med.

Perhaps your doctor feels that if he tells you that you won't have side effects from the new med, that, somehow, psychologically you won't react normally to the med. When the doctors don't have a clue, which is a lot of the time, they try to play meaningless mind games on their patients.

Does the atenolol slow your heartbeat? How fast does your heart normally beat? What type of side effects do you get from the atenolol?

Quote:
He said is more expensive.
That sounds like a pretty nasty side effect to me!

Quote:
It sounds like you have your situation under control
I am doing the best that I can, but it is still a constant struggle.

Quote:
and I want to control this frustrating disease while I am still relatively young (mid forties). Thanks so much for your insight!
Great idea. The older that I get, the more difficult it is to fight heart disease.

How high does your blood pressure get? When I don't have mine under control, my blood pressure will bounce around 170/105 during the day, and up to 185/120 at night.

Under control, my blood pressure averages around 140/89 during the day, and up to around 160/100 at night. I've got advanced heart disease. I feel much better at these lower numbers and I feel my chances for survival are much better. Others might look at my lowered numbers and go UGH!

Last edited by Machaon; 10-11-2004 at 04:02 PM.

Old 10-11-2004, 09:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASSIEBEL
Beerzoids,
That is very interesting info. I also have normal Bp in the am then a gradual increase throught the day. Example: 116/69 @ 10:00am 151/81 @10:00pm. I also have high trigycerides and a weakness for sweets and carbs. I am on BenicarHCT 40/25, atenolol 75, and clonidine .05 as needed. I take the Benicar and 25mgs of the atenolol in the am and 50mgs of atenolol at bedtime with the clonidine if my systolic BP is over 150. I have been trying to solve this problem for 25 yrs with very little success.
I have always had normal blood sugar readings every year.
What do you think about my situation?
Cass
I have little knowledge of benicar, atenolol or clonidine.

Your morning blood pressure is excellent. Even though your evening BP is higher, 151/81 is not too bad. The Diastolic reading of 81 is excellent.

How often does your evening BP go higher than 151/81? How much higher does it get? What is the worst BP that you've had?

I've only started learning recently about nocturnal hypertension. Almost every article that I've read connects the body's difficulty in handling carbohydrates and the risk of diabetes, with nocturnal hypertension.

I've just recently switched from white bread, to whole wheat bread. It is not too bad!

I've also switched to high fiber, low "bad" carb cereals. I seem to be feeling better.

As to your unique situation......... I am not a doctor or an expert in these matters. There is a link between diabetes and nocturnal hypertension, but that doesn't mean that everyone with nocturnal hypertension has, or is going to have diabetes. Diabetes is a very common ailment as we get older.

I would think that the best thing to do is try to get fiber into ones diet, both through vegetables or high fiber foods.

One suggestion that I do have... I separate my meds by at least an hour. If I take my verapamil within 2.5 hours of my digoxin, I get rhythm problems.

You might consider separating the meds that you take in the morning, and those that you take in the evening, from each other, by at least an hour, if not more, and see if it makes a difference.

Old 10-11-2004, 10:38 PM   #7

BiBi57 HB User

Beerzoids,

I have also had a frustrating time trying to find a combo of drugs that works, partly due to an unimformed doctor that I stayed with too long. Last week I went to a primary care clinic with an uncontrolled BP of 180/120 ! He put me on Avalide (ARB with diuretic) and atenolol. I had been on the atenolol before but found it dragged me down at high dosages. But at BP numbers this high, that's a small price to pay! Anyway, I've been taking the Avalide in the morning and then 50 mg. of Atenolol at 5 P.m and 25 mg. at 10:00 P.m. If I take more Atenolol than that at bedtime, my morning BP is too low and I feel light headed. I have been very happy to see my BP coming down...tonight it was 118/78 and my pulse was 87 (without atenolol my pulse easily runs 90-110 bpm.) I am just hoping that this combo continues to work! Hope that helps answer some of your questions. Overall, Atenolol is the best BP drug that I can possibly take, but the side effects suck! Avalide is probably contributing some too, but is very expensive!

Old 10-12-2004, 07:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I'm glad to hear that other people experience an increase in bp at night. I've not been able to get mine under adequate control and so have been taking lots of readings over the course of the day to see if I can observe a pattern.

My morning numbers will be low, they slowly creep up in the day, and are highest in the evening. I am toprol right now, and I think the beta blocker has made me extremely sensitive to salt, sugar, carbohydrate and fats. I wondered if the higher readings were due to digesting after dinner - my largest meal of the day. I didn't notice this food sensitivity when I was on tiazac (calcium channel blocker).

Another thing that happens to me is that I will awaken with nighttime spikes in bp. Very high, on the order of 180/105. I will be dead asleep and be awakened by rapid pulse and high bp. I have to take .2 clonidine and wait it out for it to go down. I have had 2 other spikes while awake, one when I was up late at night (went to the ER with that one), and once around noon after eating a pancake breakfast and then taking my toprol.

I went to a cardiologist, but was unimpressed. I mentioned the nighttime rise in bp and his response was "Well, people often bring the daytime stress of work home with them." If my job was any less stressful, I wouldn't be working! I mentioned the occasional nighttime spikes, but he had no answer for them. I think he thinks I am a frelling head case. Its true that when my bp goes up I get really stressed, which increases it no doubt, but stress is not triggering the spikes - I'm sleeping! Nor do I think "work stress" would cause my bp to continue to climb in the evening, after I am home.

So, to bring this to a close, I am wondering if beta blockers can sensitize people to food, like salt and sugar. I am also wondering if an adrenal tumor might be causing the bp spikes. With a spike, I get high pulse and bp, skin tingling, especially at the back of my neck, I get the shakes, feel vaguely nausious, and very anxious. Afterward I feel very drained. I'm seeing my gp on Thursday and will pose these questions to her.

Old 10-12-2004, 11:45 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgraylorn
I'm glad to hear that other people experience an increase in bp at night. I've not been able to get mine under adequate control and so have been taking lots of readings over the course of the day to see if I can observe a pattern.
Six years ago, was when I first tried to find out what was causing my BP problems, I started keeping a log and recording my BP scores. It really helped, but the more I charted my readings, the more confused that I got.

Doctors really have little knowledge of how to bring their patient's blood pressure down, especially if the patient doesn't react well to the meds that they prescribe. Doctors can only go by what the sales literature says. They have no idea how to relate their patient's health problems to the patient's environment, lifestyle, diet, allergies, chemical sensitivities and the patient's individual immune system. It isn't because the doctors are stupid. It is just because our bodies and how our bodies react, is extremely complicated, and varies greatly with each individual.

What I've found out is that my Blood Pressure can vary because of what I eat or drink, what touches my skin, what I breath, what pollens and pollutants are in the air, and because of seasonal changes.

Everyone is different. Perhaps you will find out that a particular food, that you eat, is causing your blood pressure problems, or some of the clothes, that you wear, are causing your blood pressure to go up, and you will be able to find a simple solution.

Quote:
My morning numbers will be low, they slowly creep up in the day, and are highest in the evening.
When do you measure your morning BP? Is it AFTER you take BP meds or before? I take Verapamil. It takes about an hour for it to start having an effect, and my BP is at it's lowest about 3 hours after I take it. It then goes back up until I take my next dose.

Quote:
I am toprol right now, and I think the beta blocker has made me extremely sensitive to salt, sugar, carbohydrate and fats.
From what I have read, almost all heart meds can effect the way that the heart reacts to carbohydrates, and/or sodium, and/or calcium and/or potassium.

The heart has several channels that transport signals to it, controlling the way that the heart beats.

There is a calcium channel, sodium channel, potassium channels. Heart medicines BLOCK or change the way that current flows through these channels. Hence the names of the drugs: Beta "Blockers", Calcium Channel "Blockers", ACE inhibitors, etc. The body is not like a computer. The meds attempt to change the way that the heart works, and they do a good job for what they are designed for, but there are all kinds of side effects and malfunctions of the meds, depending upon a person's own environment, diet, immune system, etc.

Quote:
I wondered if the higher readings were due to digesting after dinner - my largest meal of the day. I didn't notice this food sensitivity when I was on tiazac (calcium channel blocker).
I have not yet found a relationship between when I eat, how much I eat, and my blood pressure, except........ I cannot eat carbohydrates at night, after about 7pm. The rest of the time I can better tolerate them, but I've got to limit them.

What I HAVE found out is that there are many foods that effect my blood pressure.

Quote:
Another thing that happens to me is that I will awaken with nighttime spikes in bp. Very high, on the order of 180/105. I will be dead asleep and be awakened by rapid pulse and high bp.
As with your BP, mine starts the day lower, tends to increase as the afternoon wears on, and then starting around 6pm starts to really increase. Then, about 9:30pm, I start getting worse symptoms, and these symptoms keep getting worse until I start improving some time around 4am.

This, I believe, can be contributed to the circadian rhythm problems of the nocturnal hypertensive. I've improved my night time blood pressure and rhythm problems by taking my evening dose of Verapamil one hour earlier and by wearing a dust mask while sleeping. I also use nitro under my tongue at night, not for chest pain, but to lower my blood pressure. A nitro under the tongue brings my blood pressure down fairly fast.

The bed is a bad place for allergies. In my opinion, the dust mask is not protecting me at night from the bed. The dust mask protects me from the molds and chemical outgassing in the indoor air. When I lie in bed, the inside air allergens and irritants, combine with those of the bed, and cause increased symptoms. By wearing the mask, I still react to the chemicals, materials and dust mites in the bed, but at least I eliminate breathing in the "poisons" within the indoor air.

Quote:
I have to take .2 clonidine and wait it out for it to go down. I have had 2 other spikes while awake, one when I was up late at night (went to the ER with that one), and once around noon after eating a pancake breakfast and then taking my toprol.
Interesting..... Was it the extra carbs, or did you react to something in the pancakes or syrup?

Have you found that there are foods that you cannot eat within an hour or two of your toprol? With my verapamil, I couldn't have a calcium food or drink, like milk or cheese, within about 2.5 hours of my med.

Quote:
I went to a cardiologist, but was unimpressed. I mentioned the nighttime rise in bp and his response was "Well, people often bring the daytime stress of work home with them." If my job was any less stressful, I wouldn't be working! I mentioned the occasional nighttime spikes, but he had no answer for them. I think he thinks I am a frelling head case.
Your cardiologist is a jerk. Obviously he has no knowledge of nocturnal hypertension. He should. He is supposed to be a heart expert, but he doesn't know about the different types of hypertension???

Doctors, ALL doctors, want to look like an expert, and want to look like they know everything. That is how they justify charging big bucks for providing poor quality care. Most doctors are just pill pushes, who have little knowledge of how pills actually react to the individual patient.

Quote:
Its true that when my bp goes up I get really stressed, which increases it no doubt, but stress is not triggering the spikes - I'm sleeping! Nor do I think "work stress" would cause my bp to continue to climb in the evening, after I am home.
You are absolutely right. Doctors have two choices. Blame the patient because the expensive pills aren't working, or blame themselves for prescribing the wrong pills. They tend to want to blame the patient by telling the patient that the patient can't handle stress, or child raising, or the patient has too much anxiety. Next time your doctor tells you that your problems are caused by stress and not his inadequate care, kick him in the shin. Then say, "Thanks Doc! That really relieved my stress!"

Stress IS harmful to one's health and BP, but it is just ONE of many factors.

Quote:
So, to bring this to a close, I am wondering if beta blockers can sensitize people to food, like salt and sugar.
I don't know if the sensitization is short or long term. But beta blockers effect the body's use of glucose, among other things. I haven't studied beta blockers. For more info, do a search on beta blockers glucose, or beta blockers diabetes, or beta blockers carbohydrates.

Quote:
I am also wondering if an adrenal tumor might be causing the bp spikes. With a spike, I get high pulse and bp, skin tingling, especially at the back of my neck, I get the shakes, feel vaguely nausious, and very anxious. Afterward I feel very drained. I'm seeing my gp on Thursday and will pose these questions to her.
I don't get the back of the neck problems. I get skin tingling and numbness in my feet when I get my spikes, along with the high pulse, nauseau, anxiety. It also drains me.

Sorry about the long reply. Hope something in here can help you.

Best of luck Thursday at the docs. Don't get too disappointed if you come out feeling a little poorer, and with more questions than answers.

Last edited by Machaon; 10-12-2004 at 12:25 PM.

Old 10-12-2004, 04:25 PM   #10
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

So true on everything you put in your post, beer. I've experience everyone of thos situations. i must my old endo sooooo much, too bad he was only a student. He knew more than his teacher and had more compassion.

He didn't get angry if i knew something he didnt or wasnt in his medical book. He would constantly look things up for me. He understood that i read alot and didn't mind asking questions. Lawd, how i must my endo!

Old 10-12-2004, 07:04 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

jtu...Don't ya just hate it when U finally get a dr. U like and they either leave or retire? My dr. of 32 yrs. was not only a VERY good dr., he actually listened when U asked questions, and always seemed to have time to discuss any problems I might have, and even ask about the family. God I miss him soooo much, as does hubby!!!

Heard U are trying to give up smoking, well good for you. I gave it up for 10 and 1/2 yrs. and then started up again. I know...DUMB-DUMB-DUMB!!

Good luck with quitting, and I think it is WAY overdo time for me to get my act together and quit again also. Shame on me for ever going back to it.

Take care, and will say prayers it goes well for ya.....

NO lectures please, I know it is bad in more ways then one, plus MIGHTY expensive. BAD, BAD JJ!!!!!

Old 10-13-2004, 08:04 AM   #12
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Hi JJ, yes i really hate when the good drs leave. It is difficult to find another dr in this 'hick' town. I was going to the largest hosp. in upstate Ny and word gets around. When i was in the hosp. last wk with chest pains, all the nurses and drs kept whispering and then came to me and said "you really need to start taking a statin" . They just don't get it, if they saw my chart and it stated liver damage, then why in the world would i take a statin again. They haven't even address that problem yet. They said i need to see my gp. Well im going to a new gp next month.

You quit for 10 1/2yrs and started again. Im not surprised though, bcuz life is stressful. That's the only 'drug' i 've ever taken that calms me completely down. But i must say my bp is much better in the last 7 days. It isn't 130/72 yet, but it is going in the right direction. Today it was 140/75. Well gotta go, hope you're keeping your bp low.

Old 10-15-2004, 10:16 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Beerzoids, thanks for all your comments. After many different situations, I've come to realize medicine is a lot of guessing. Even with a good doctor, it is best to research on your own. I like my doctor, but she doesn't know everything. I like her a LOT better than the cardiologist I saw. At least my doctor will work with me.

To answer your questions, when I get up, I have rapid pulse, and I think my bp is up some. I take my bp about an hour after I get up, before I take my meds. The readings are generally lower before I start the meds (which makes me wonder).

Quote:
As with your BP, mine starts the day lower, tends to increase as the afternoon wears on, and then starting around 6pm starts to really increase. Then, about 9:30pm, I start getting worse symptoms, and these symptoms keep getting worse until I start improving some time around 4am.

This, I believe, can be contributed to the circadian rhythm problems of the nocturnal hypertensive.
This sounds similar to me but I don't know what happens in the middle of the night unless I have a spike. I think I am a nocturnal hypertensive. A question for you: Are you a evening person or morning person? Dispite getting up at 6:30 a.m. for work for the last several years, I am still an evening person. I will often get a "second wind" around 8 or 9 pm. And I have been this way even before I developed hpertension.

The idea of food sensitivity is new to me. As I said, I never had a problem with food or salt when I was on the calcium channel blocker, and I've only recently begun to consider it while I am on toprol. Thursday night I made a veggie stirfry and probably consumed about 50% of one's daily dose of salt with that dinner. Earlier in the day salt intake was very small, so I think I was not near 100%. My bp shot up within an hour of eating. I took .3 clonidine which brought it down after a couple hours to 110/65 pulse 77. I awoke 5 hours later with bp 162/102 pulse 152. Another .2 clonidne, bringing it down to 129/78 pulse 85. After a couple hours it was back up to 157/93 pulse 123, when I took .1 clonidine. That required excessive control for me.

I asked my doctor if this was typical of salt sensitivity or if the beta blocker would have made me food sensitive. She doesn't think it is the beta blocker. I think she thought that was an excessive reaction for salt sensitivity.

As for the pancake thing, I have had the same pancakes with syrup or jelly for Saturday breakfast for 15 years with no problem. We ate later than usual, and since I take toprol after breakfast, I took it later than usual. On toprol, I have noticed I can't eat as much before feeling full and vaguely nausious, especially with sweets, but I have not noticed a carb thing going on before.

Unlike the cardiologist, my doctor does not think I am a head case. She has suggested an anxiety component, and I am sure there is one which makes the situations worse, but is not the initial trigger. She wants me to try a very small dose of adivan (.25 or .5) when I have a spike and see what happens. I'll try this, but it won't make the spike go away. Beta blockers also have an anti-anxiety component to them and toprol hasn't helped.

My doctor suggested that maybe its time to start looking at endocrine problems and mentioned phaeochromocytomas. I was going to suggest this, but she beat me to it, so we seem to be on the same page. I get to do the "24 hours of pee" test! My internet reading said one must avoid certain foods and drugs for this test, but I had no such instructions from my doctor - I asked specifically. If the test turns up negative, I will push for others.

We have decided I will go off the toprol and clonidine and go back to 180 mg of tiazac (calcium channel blocker). I like the immediate control of clonidine, but I'll try going off it. Dr. wants me to take captopril 25 mg if I spike. I tried an ACE before (Lotrel), and got a nasty cough and no bp change, so am not sure if captopril will do anything.

Yesterday I took 50 mg toprol, and my tiazac and bp went down to around 130/80 + and -, stayed there even in the evening. This morning I took the tiazac and 25 mg toprol and by 9:50 am my bp was 172/101 pulse 119. My doctor told me to taper off toprol, but thought I wouldn't have a problem dropping the clonidine. I'd been taking between .4 and .6 mg clonidine a day, the last day was .6 mg. Well, the internet literature says people taking less than 1 mg of clonidine generally have no problems going off it, unless they are concurrently taking a beta blocker. Then they should go off the beta blocker first before stopping the clonidine. I was having classic clonidine withdrawal symtoms (high bp, rapid pulse, shakes, anxiety, nausea). I took .1 mg of clonidine and am now down to about 122/74 pulse 77. Doc was wrong.

I guess I'll have to eat carefully until I am off toprol for several days and see what happens. The only highlight to this is that I need to loose about 25 pounds, and by not being able to eat much, I've lost 7 of those pounds already.

Sorry this is so long, but it is nice to "chat' with people who have similar problems, since my medical people are taking the hit and miss approach right now.

Old 10-15-2004, 10:34 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

Mgray, good luck to you with the adrenal tumor test. If you do have one, removal may rid you of HBP altogether.

JJ, I hope that you can once again quit smoking. I have been there and done that and know how difficult it is to quit.

JTU, I hope you are still "hanging in here" and not smoking. Quitting could very well be the missing piece of the puzzle in your quest for a decent blood pressure level. Best of luck.

Old 10-15-2004, 01:25 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Bharkins, thanks for the kind thoughts. At this point, I'd like to find anything (non fatal and curable/controllable) to explain why I have blood pressure spikes. Even if it involves surgery for removal of a tumor. Both my parents had high bp, so I don't think I would get so lucky as to find something that would surgically make me have normal blood pressure. These spikes happen frequently enough to interfere with my sleep and make me dread going to sleep. I don't like worrying that I might stroke out at any time.

Closed Thread