It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2004, 08:22 AM   #1

adeld HB User
Question When to go to ER

2 day's ago I was diagnosed with high blood pressure 183/ 115. I started treatment on Norvasc that same day (5mg).Yesterday afternoon I could feel that my BP was high ( I have no BP monitor but send my husband out first thing this morning to get one), I called my doctor and she told me to go to the ER immediately. When I encountered a accident which caused traffic to back way up I panicked. I pulled over into the police station and they called an ambulance.
The doctor in the ER was in a great hurry. He seemed to be annoyed with me for being there. He stated that a high BP 190/ 120 or over would be reason for concern. I got the message that I had just made major drama and was unnecessarily taking up their time. I should wait for my meds to start taking effect, I guess this should take 1 -2 weeks.
I am terrified! Both of my parents died from heart disease, my mother-in-law has not been able to take care of her self for the past 20 years because of high BP having caused her to have a stroke and major brain damage @ age 49. I am 49.
I feel I got 2 completely different messages from the docs and just don't know what to do.
It is the weekend now so I can't call my primary care doc. Do I wait until my BP goes up to 190/ 120 before I go to the ER? Do I wait until Tuesday when my primary care is back @ the office?
I am scared & just don't know what to do. HELP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2004, 09:55 AM   #2
Inactive

Michael01 HB User
Re: When to go to ER

On several occasions I had very high readings especially if I was drinking the night before. I own a blood pressure monitor. When this happened I drank a lot of orange juice and ate quite of few bananas both high in potassium. This almost immediately brought down the readings to a reasonable level but not exactly normal. I recently purchased a Juicer and juice every morning (carrot, apple and beet). Since juicing, I've maintained a reasonable blood pressure usually 135/85. This is not considered high for someone my age (64). I refuse to take medication. I'm not suggesting you don't take meds but need to reseach what foods increase and decrease blood pressure. If you're concerned about your heart consider getting a CT Heart Scan. This will determine the level of calcification in your arteries. I had one two years ago for $250 money well spent. I had a score of 332 which is slightly above what I should be for someone my age. Above 400 is dangerous. I plan to have another one next month. I'm also taking lots of supplements for the heart including garlic, CQ10, hawthorne, E, magnesium, etc. Do a search on supplements for the heart that you should be taking. There are many or look for a heart healthy formula that will contain everything you need. Visit a healthy food store. There are many natural things you can do to ensure a healthy heart. Do your research. Prevention is the best medicine. Good Luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2004, 03:41 PM   #3

BiBi57 HB User

I feel your concern about your BP and the mixed signals from DRs. Last week My BP was 183/120 in the evening and I went to a CarePoint Immediate Care Clinic that was open till 8:00 P.M. because I was scared!! The doctor there was very good (better than my GP) and I was put on a combo of drugs that is working! Had I waited until I could see my doctor who knows what may have happened. You might try finding an emergency clinic like that. They can get you started on something and you'll feel better because you are doing something! Stay calm!

Old 10-09-2004, 05:35 PM   #4
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I went to ER 3 days ago also for chest pain, shoulder pain and bp started at 195/96 and eventually climbed to 212/120. They were very nice and showed great concern, however, they get angry bcuz i refuse some meds. I do so bcuz according to dr. koops web page, toprol can mask low glucose in diabetes.

I also dislike my gp, which im in process of switching gps. He should have never prescribed this med to me. I think if you have a continous bp of 183/120 and a family history of hbp, then you did the right thing. The one thing i've learned during this long ordeal of diabetes and hpb, is not to question my own judgement. I regret not standing my ground on previous med treatments.

Those drs at your ER were wrong to treat you that way. Many people wait too long to seek help. I say do it again if you must, but atleast you'll know you're ok. Good luck and i hope you feel better. Im in the same boat as you.

Old 10-10-2004, 03:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

I too have been in your situation. I GO to the ER reguardless of the reception I get. My family dr has insisted on it. They can give you meds that will bring it down very fast, like 30 min or so.
When it is the weekend and you can't reach your dr it is only solution you have. If you just wait and worry your BP will only get higer.
Don't let these dr's intimidate you that is why we pay for insurance!
Good luck,
Cass

Old 10-10-2004, 06:01 PM   #6

dianne12315 HB User

What they did to you in the ER was wrong. It doesn't matter what they think. You felt you were there for a justifiable reason and instead of getting upset with you they should have reassured you and calmed your fears instead of acting like your problem was not as important as someone else's.

I also have a tendency to have very high BP readings and before I found the right doctor I was on many different medications. My highest reading was 170/120. I was put on Verapamil but it didn't work. I let my internist play around with the medication for awhile but I got so tired of worrying about whether or not I was going to have a stroke. Heart disease runs in my family and I had a slight stroke a few years ago. I finally went to a Cardiologist who found the right medications and brought my BP down to reasonable readings. I've had good BP readings for over a year now. It is now 118/70.

I strongly recommend seeing a cardiologist for your High Blood Pressure. They not only give you the medications but will also do other cardiac monitoring to make sure the high BP has not effected your heart. Some internists and GPS are very good at keeping your BP under control but when it is uncontrolled like mine was I think a cardiologist is the best choice. We all know high blood pressure can affect our hearts.

Good luck to you.
Dianne

Last edited by dianne12315; 10-10-2004 at 06:03 PM.

Old 10-12-2004, 06:41 AM   #7

adeld HB User

Thanks ervery body for your reply's. You are right I have to take care of myself. If the doc's are in a bad mood thats to bad for them. I will listen to you advise and follow my own judgment on this. After all its my live.
Thanks again

Closed Thread