It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2004, 10:39 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

craftlady HB User
Teenager with low bp

My daughter is suffering with dizziness most of the time. She has been checked out by a ped cardio and they found nothing wrong with the way her heart works. There have been so many blood test I cant even remember how many. I am really starting to get scared about this, just the other day her bp was 89/51 at 5:15, 80/45 at 6:17, at that point I made her drink a large quanty if fluid, her bp came up to 93/50 by 6:53 it continued to rise to a normal bp by 10:00. She has told me that she is dizzy almost always, just sometimes it gets worse.
Should I insist on a tilt table test. Her life is being greatly effected by this, she almost passed out in school the other day, she sat down in the hallway till she felt like she could get to the nurse's office.

thanks for any help

Last edited by craftlady; 10-17-2004 at 10:40 AM.

Old 10-17-2004, 04:17 PM   #2

TerryinABQ HB User
Re: Teenager with low bp

Craftylady,

You say your daughter has been checked out by a peds cardiologist so that should rule out a too fast/slow heartbeat which might cause the dizziness.

My next question would be, is your daughter eating properly? The reason I ask is that you hear of so many young girls nearly starving themselves to fit into an image society says they have to be. Depending upon her size and how much water she was given, she just might have been dehydrated. I have heard that caffeine type drinks like sodas that are even worse than not drinking anything at all.

My cardiologist told me to drink plenty of fluids (water) and to eat "Extra" salt to help retain the fluids. I have also heard where people can drink too much water and actually dilute their blood to a dangerous point. We have to maintain a certain balance of chemicals in our blood. Once while I was hospitalized for some other problem, I was told my potassium was way too low and I had to take supplemental potassium to get back into the normal range.

As you can see, your daughter's problem might or might not be a simple thing to diagnose or correct. It does sound like you are on the right track though and continue to "Squeak" until the docs grease the wheel (find out what is wrong).

Terry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2004, 04:56 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

craftlady HB User

My daughter does eat and drink proper, she even eats 2 salty snacks a day to help with fluid retention, she always has some water with her to help from becoming dehidrated. This morning when I went to get her up for school she said she felt real dizzy so I took her bp, it was 89/46, when she sat up it went down to 76/40, I told her to quick lay back down. If it stays this low Im not going to wait for her appt at 2:30 today, Im bringing her to the ER, this is getting very scary.

Old 10-18-2004, 09:15 AM   #4

TerryinABQ HB User

Craftylady,

Let me first say that I am not trying to practice medicine by diagnosing what might be happening to your daughter. However, there are a lot of similarities between her condition and mine. We both tend to wake up with abnormally low blood pressures and can get dizzy at times during the day.

What I have learned from my own "On-going" attempt to get at the cause of my problem, unless the patient is in a life threatening crisis, the doctors tend to go at a extremely slow pace in their diagnosis/treatment. This can be both good and bad in that they are not likely to jump at the first thing they see. Also they tend to overlook what is staring them in the face. Maybe the trial lawyers have got them to be too cautious.

I have gone once to the ER when dizzy and short of breath and they hooked me up to the heart monitor and said they could not see any classic heart attack symptoms. Then they also said to go to the family doc to get further testing. Well I did and it started out with a treadmill stress test followed by wearing a heart monitor. Both were non conclusive so on to more tests. They finally decided to do a tilt table test and I went out like a light after about 22-27 minutes. The docs said my heart stopped for 15 seconds and soon as the table was put back to the horizontal position, the heart started back up on its own. Even with all of that, I have been working with the cardiologist and family doc for the past three years to get to the bottom of this problem.

First they wanted more testing so they did a nuclear study of how the blood was flowing through the heart. Then it was a Doppler (ultra sound) of the heart to get a further picture of the heart. All they found so far was that I have a slight murmur which was noted for the past 20 years and that my heart tends to beat slow at times (sinus bradycardia). Trying to fix it at the lowest/most simple level possible, they put me on a number of meds such as beta blockers and asthma medication. None of these have really done much and in fact the beta blockers made it worse as they are meant to lower the bp in patients with high blood pressure. The only reason they tried it was there has been some studies showing that the beta blocker sometimes affects the tone or how the blood vessels work. They were trying to keep my vessels from dilating and dumping my bp to zero. That is when the heart will stop beating too. It seems that doctors are allowed to prescribe medications that were not meant to treat your condition as long as they monitor you and that the known side effects of the drug have been shown to have certain positive values.

From day one, (tilt table test) the cardiologist said that possibly a pace maker might be a possible solution to this problem. Pace makers are normally used to control either too fast or too slow heart beats and some can even jump start the heart like you see on the tv shows. As the bp starts dropping, the heart can either speed up trying to make up the difference in pressure and or slow down all together. You can find out more about pace makers by doing a Google search on the web. I was surprised to see how many young people were helped by having a pace maker implanted. They were able to return to a “Normal” life style after months or years of being unable to function like the rest of their friends.

I hope that they will be able to figure out what is going wrong with your daughter’s bp and most importantly, how and when they can fix it. I hope that I was able to calm some of your fears and also give you some things to discus with your doctors.

Terry

Old 10-18-2004, 04:33 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

craftlady HB User

Terry, my daughter has seen a cardo, they did a echogram of her heart and didnt find anything wrong. We did go the the ER this morning and to her appt this afternoon. Now her doc told me that a bp of 85/45 is NORMAL. Now we are going to go to a nuro. She also gave us a med to help her retain salt and water. She is also going in for a cortisal test in the morning, she MIGHT have a problem with her adrenal glands. They wont do a tilt table test.
What is a NORMAL bp range?
This is so frustrating.

Last edited by craftlady; 10-18-2004 at 04:37 PM.

Old 10-18-2004, 08:55 PM   #6

TerryinABQ HB User

Craftlady,

Still sounds like they (docs) do not know what is wrong. I could hardly believe that 85/45 could be a viable bp but I found this at the unmc site.

[url]http://unmc.edu/nursing/careers/nurse_facts.htm[/url]

The chart does show for teens that 85/45 to 130/85 is in the normal range. Granted that the 85/45 is at the "Bottom" of what is considered normal. Something is causing the dizziness. Glad to hear they are looking at other areas too.

Both of you hang in there and remember that doctors only "Practice" medicine. : )

PS: Sorry I kept calling you Craftylady instead of "Craftlady"

Terry

Last edited by TerryinABQ; 10-18-2004 at 08:57 PM.

Old 10-18-2004, 09:00 PM   #7

petflower HB User

I really feel for you and your daughter. I myself have low blood pressure and the lowest mine has been is 80/40. At that stage in my life I was very stressed at work, and I find when I am not eating so well, drinking when I should and sleeping right, the BP drops again. I have symptoms of nausea, heavy chest, dizziness, lack of desire to eat and drink. I have not sort medical treatment for this as I find if I look after my general wellbeing my BP remains stable (90/60 for me).

My prayers are with you, good luck!

Old 10-19-2004, 09:51 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

craftlady HB User

The doc ordered a 8:00am cortisol test, and gave her Fludrocortisone. I looked it up and its for Addison's, it helps your body retain salt and fluids. Its possable that she has Adrenal Fatiuge, which can cause dizziness becuse your body flushes salt out, we will know for sure in a couple of days. I sure hope the med works.

Thanks to all, I will let y'all know how things turn out.

Old 10-19-2004, 01:43 PM   #9

TerryinABQ HB User

Craftlady,

Good to hear they are still testing your daughter. As for the Fludrocortisone, it can at least in me cause extreme fluid retention.

My cardiologist tried this med on me to increase my blood volume even though he knew I did not have Addison’s disease (what President Kennedy had). After taking it briefly, I looked like the Michelin man and put on 11 pounds in 5 days. My joints were where so swollen (ankles and wrists) you could hardly tell where they were. Even the skin on the bridge of my nose hurt due to it being stretch by the excess fluid.

Hopefully your daughter does not have Addison’s. I just wanted to let you know what might occur if in fact she does not need the Fludrocortisone, and her adrenal glands are working OK.

Terry

Old 10-19-2004, 05:22 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

craftlady HB User

Terry, thanks for your concern. The phamacy told us to watch for unusual weight gain, swelling in legs, feet, face.
She took 1 pill this morning and when i picked her up from school she told me that she has felt better than she has in a long time.
If the cortisol test comes back neg. the doc will prob pull her off the med, and the search will continue till we find out what is going on.
We have already tryed to just increase her salt and water intake and that didnt work.
thanks again

Closed Thread