It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2004, 11:04 AM   #1
Inactive

Random2 HB User
What Combo Has Worked For You

Without any Side-Effects????

An old lady saw me taking my B/P today & said your #'s are good. I told her the meds. that I was on & that the side-effects are terrible. She said keep taking them. You are young. You shouldn't have High Blood Pressure.

1) Everyone has spikes in B/P at some point. My Mom had 150/100 at the doc. last time. He wanted to put her on meds. & she refused. I don't blame her.

2) Every med. that I have been on has caused side-effects (not everyday), but on certain days. My list..... Altace (the worst) Atenolol (a close 2nd), Toprol (s**ked as well), Verapamil (did very little) & Lotrel.

3) I am tired of the trial & error, the side-effects, the tons of appointments & the constant measuring. I know where my b/p is at on Lotrel & Atenolol. I just can't deal with the side-effects.

4) It would be nice to be able to have tons of energy to play tennis, take my dog to the park+ again. I don't want any meds. that make one feel like a zombie.

I don't want to seem like a pain in the a**, but ever since I went to the doc. 19 months ago (my 1st out of 3), my lifestyle has gotten worse. I feel lazy, lethargic & much more fearful than when I went the 1st time.

Old 10-21-2004, 11:17 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User
Re: What Combo Has Worked For You

Axe, Why can't you ask your doctor if you can try Benicar. I was not able to take it, but those who can say that it has no side effects. The combo I am on (Metropolol, Lisinipril, HCTZ and Norvasc) has finally lowered my numbers. It was a difficult road to find this combo, so I am not messing with it anymore. Just tell him that you insist on trying Benicar. It is not as though you are refusing to take any BP meds. I just don't understand it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2004, 11:37 AM   #3

cloverberry HB User

I'm taking Norvasc & Accupril. It took a few days to get used to the Accupril. I gave it up twice because I was feeling so tired all the time but the last time I kept it up for a week and my body got used to the medication and I'm not feeling so tired anymore. My last BP reading on Saturday was 128/77 at home.

Old 10-21-2004, 12:58 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

I'll second Benicar. I am on Benicar 20 (no HCT). It's the only one I've found that controls my BP and has no negative side effects. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised when I got back from my jog and saw 6 minutes stripped from my time. Exercise is no problem on this drug.

Unfortunately, I get the feeling that Benicar is not pushed very aggressively by the drug reps. My doctor said that he seldom prescribes it. The only reason I have it is that after I was getting frustrated with so many others, I requested it. And, so far, it is working out great.

Previously, my Dr. had prescribed HYZAAR (ARB + diuretic). This one was tolerable as well; I almost finished the first 30 days. However, it did absolutely nothing for my BP. And, it made me insanely hungry all the time. Further, it reduced my exercise performance. This was a formula for significant weight gain. So, I dropped it. I'm not sure how much of this was the losartan or the diuretic part. But, I can say that for BP control for me Benicar (ARB only) blows away HYZAAR (an ARB and a diuretic).

Old 10-21-2004, 01:03 PM   #5
Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillians Axe
Without any Side-Effects????

An old lady saw me taking my B/P today & said your #'s are good. I told her the meds. that I was on & that the side-effects are terrible. She said keep taking them. You are young. You shouldn't have High Blood Pressure.

1) Everyone has spikes in B/P at some point. My Mom had 150/100 at the doc. last time. He wanted to put her on meds. & she refused. I don't blame her.

2) Every med. that I have been on has caused side-effects (not everyday), but on certain days. My list..... Altace (the worst) Atenolol (a close 2nd), Toprol (s**ked as well), Verapamil (did very little) & Lotrel.

3) I am tired of the trial & error, the side-effects, the tons of appointments & the constant measuring. I know where my b/p is at on Lotrel & Atenolol. I just can't deal with the side-effects.

4) It would be nice to be able to have tons of energy to play tennis, take my dog to the park+ again. I don't want any meds. that make one feel like a zombie.

I don't want to seem like a pain in the a**, but ever since I went to the doc. 19 months ago (my 1st out of 3), my lifestyle has gotten worse. I feel lazy, lethargic & much more fearful than when I went the 1st time.
I just stared taking a NATURAL supplement that acts like an ACE inhibitor. It's called *AmealS*. It's also supposed to work well with other BP meds and may allow you to take less of those. The studies on it show an AVERGE of 15pt drop on systolic and 7pt drop on diastolic taken ALONE. The full effect takes 8 weeks...showing substantial effect starting at 3 weeks.I'll post my results in about a month. They have a web site...use www and *AmealS with .com at the end. This is NOT SPAM..I saw an ad in AARP and just bought some yesterday.

Last edited by rahod; 10-21-2004 at 01:04 PM.

Old 10-21-2004, 02:36 PM   #6
Inactive

Random2 HB User

I wish that I could just be on Benicar & get rid of the Lotrel & Atenolol. I will bring this up to him the next time that I see him in Jan. It sounds like exactly what I am looking for. A B/P med. that controls my b/p in stressful times & allows me to excercise & feel like myself....... *** haven't I been told about this from my doc???

Old 10-21-2004, 02:48 PM   #7
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I asked to be put on benicar also but my gp refused. He didn't even give me a reason why not. I'll see a cardio on 11/10 and see what she thinks. Hope she have samples to give me. I have to spend money if i will not be able to take benicar.

Closed Thread