It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2004, 05:25 PM   #1
(female)

strong_one HB User
Question What are the differences between Lisinopril, Atenolol and Avalide?

With Atenolol - I know its an ACE inhibitor (in which - I'm not sure of) had an allergic reaction.

Doc put me on Avalide and up it to 300 mg (still got hives - wondering if i'm having another allergy of some sort since I am on a new med that isn't an ACE inhibitor.)

Now I will be on Lisinopril 20mg starting today another ACE. Is there a diffence between these two ACE's??? (I'm hoping not to have another allergic reaction)

Old 10-22-2004, 04:39 AM   #2

MathMom HB User
Re: What are the differences between Lisinopril, Atenolol and Avalide?

My pharmacist is VERY helpful in times like this. Ask him/her to look up the ingredients in each to figure out what is causing the allergic reaction.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2004, 06:05 AM   #3
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Atenolol was supposed to be much better than the Toprol that I was on before (which was terrible). Atenolol is a beta-blocker. All of which that I have been on don't seem to agree with me.

Old 10-22-2004, 04:04 PM   #4
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I am quit sensitive to meds. I was on lisinopril for six or seven yrs. I am and has always been allergic to ace inhibitors. Finally I ended up in the er due to severe hives, itching and throat closing. Lisinopril is a good drug to reduce bp, but it can have nasty side effects. I take hctz (water pill) it didn't cause side effects, but it does increase glucose levels and cholesterol levels, so i cut it in half. Beta blocker (toprol xl) was the all time WORST i have ever taken. My ex gp refused to take me off of it so i did it myself. DON'T STOP THIS MED WITHOUT WEANING. When i stopped the toprol xl abruptly, it caused my bp to spike to 225/110 and in ended up in ER. Boy, was my face red and the drs were angry with me.

Old 10-24-2004, 11:27 AM   #5
(female)

strong_one HB User
Thumbs up Re: What are the differences between Lisinopril, Atenolol and Avalide?

Thanks all! My BP is much better on this Lisinopril. I feel myself again. I do have a little cough after I take it but not enough for me to be bothered with it. I'd rather have it this way than the way I was with Avalide. I was so sick that I missed work for over 2 weeks (on and off). I would get so winded just doing simple things as going to the grocery store and/or doing dishes. BP was always running from 154/102 180/115.

Its such a big difference from just a few days ago! I feel like working out, walking, exercising, doing Tai Chi, Yoga and meditating!

Closed Thread