It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2004, 09:43 AM   #1
(male)

Scout- HB User
High Diastolic numbers. What do they mean?

I'm getting diastolics ranging from 80 - 99. What does it mean when your diastolic in particular is high Does it point to your arteries having problems releasing the blood again and if it does what can be done to treat it before meds become the main priority?

I notice when I am breathing correctly my Diastolic aveages between 80 and 85 but, if I have no breathing rythm the diastolic number will be up to 10pts higher. What's happening here? Am I imagining this breathing thing?

Scout

Old 10-25-2004, 10:20 AM   #2
Inactive

Random2 HB User
Re: High Diastolic numbers. What do they mean?

It sounds like anxiety to me. Are you taking any anti-anxiety meds? They have done wonders for me.... i.e. xanax.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2004, 10:44 AM   #3
(male)

Scout- HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillians Axe
It sounds like anxiety to me. Are you taking any anti-anxiety meds? They have done wonders for me.... i.e. xanax.
I am very anxious of late. I am getting a lot of adrenal surges of late and they are really freaking me out

This has all happened since my last visit to the quack doc he sends my body into a frenzy. Do anxiety meds have as many side effects as BP meds? Also is there anyway to stop those adrenalin floods without medication?

Thanks for you reply, makes sense.

Scout

Old 10-25-2004, 10:56 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

Scout,

We have all been where you are now, freaked out and anxious about our blood pressure. It is rather unnerving when you are told you are hypertensive. You can try some relaxation breathing when you feel particularly anxious. I know it has helped me. Take a deep breath through your nose and hold it for a slow count of five. Blow it out your mouth to another slow count of five. Do this about ten times. Don't be too quick to get on anxiety medication. Leave it as a last resort. Best of luck during this trying time.

Old 10-25-2004, 11:02 AM   #5
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I agree with bharkins, i do deep breathing exercises before taking my bp. It works for me. My bottom#s are low its the top# im having problems with. i think im developing anxiety also but im afraid to try the anxiety meds.

Old 10-25-2004, 11:13 AM   #6
Inactive

Random2 HB User

I'll just warn you from my experience. Xanax works the best for me. I feel relaxed at the doc. & my low # in always in the 60's. It is addictive, but it works for me.

My 2nd doc. tried to wean me off of Xanax & put me on Paxil. It was the worst. It felt like the worst stomach flu that I have ever had & I missed 2 days of work. SSRI's are terrible & my 3rd doc. said that he has tried 4/9 that haven't worked for him, because of the side-effects. Xanax works for me, but I had to throw the disclaimer in there.

Old 10-25-2004, 11:15 AM   #7
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

That's ok. I think i take tooo much meds now. I 'll just cope as always.

Old 10-25-2004, 11:19 AM   #8
(male)

Scout- HB User

My main problem is sudden adrenal surges throughout the day. I don't even know if I am inducing them

I'll be sitting down or laying and all of a sudden I get a shot of adrenaline. It seriously freaks me out once you get one surge you're on edge for a few hours afterwards. It has governed my life of late and athough my BP is elevated I do feel if I could get these stupid surges to stop I'd drop another 10pts on both the systolic and diastolic.

Scout

Old 10-25-2004, 11:24 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout-
My main problem is sudden adrenal surges throughout the day. I don't even know if I am inducing them

I'll be sitting down or laying and all of a sudden I get a shot of adrenaline. It seriously freaks me out once you get one surge you're on edge for a few hours afterwards. It has governed my life of late and athough my BP is elevated I do feel if I could get these stupid surges to stop I'd drop another 10pts on both the systolic and diastolic.

Scout
All the more reason to try the relaxation breathing. What have you got to lose?

Old 10-25-2004, 12:57 PM   #10
(male)

Scout- HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharkins
All the more reason to try the relaxation breathing. What have you got to lose?
True, very true. I'll give it a shot and report back with my findings.

Scout

Old 10-25-2004, 01:29 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout-
True, very true. I'll give it a shot and report back with my findings.

Scout
Scout, Forgive me, I cant remember, what BP med are you on? Some of them cause these rushes (side effects) Norvasc made me feel that way.
Cass

Old 10-26-2004, 07:54 AM   #12
(male)

Scout- HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASSIEBEL
Scout, Forgive me, I cant remember, what BP med are you on? Some of them cause these rushes (side effects) Norvasc made me feel that way.
Cass
Hey Cass, I'm not on any BP meds. I didn't start the Norvasc - I' waiting on my one week home spread of bp results to see if I even need the meds before starting it or not - what I have started taking is a lot of supplements:

Potassium
Cod Liver Oil
Garlic Capsule
Vitamin E
Vitamin C
Vitamin b-12

I take them in that order. The 1st 3 and then the vit E 2hrs later the C abut an hour after the E and then the b-12 at about 6pm. Could any of those drugs be causing or helping the surges

I'm trying to improve my circulation and get more oxygen flowing round my blood hopefully aiding in lowering my BP some more.

Closed Thread