It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2004, 04:35 AM   #16
Inactive

zip2play HB User
Re: I Can't Wean With This????

An aside:

Xanax is a horrible drug to get hookked on. I treat my jug of Valium with kid gloves; it's there when I need it but never for more than a week or two in any quarter. It's too good a drug class to make my enemy! A neighbor was so strung out on Xanax, that I though she was going to kill her family when her doctor said NO MORE...she found 2 new doctors instead!

Anyhoo Axe,
I agree with Moxie's first post: JUST WEAN OFF THE ATENOLOL. It's YOUR money and YOUR mouth and til they start force-feeding you, or institutionalize you, you don't need a doctor's permission NOT take a drug, only TO take one:.
Just chop the atenolol in half and see how the 50 mkg. treats you. Take it for a week or two, keeping good records. If your BP stays around 120/180, whack it down to 25 mg.

I feel that three drugs to treat hypertension is AT LEAST one too many. Your doctor has also IGNORED the FDA's STRONG recommendation that doctors STOP pushing the pricey, less effective meds like the amlodipine in Lotrel in favor of the BETTER drugs that cost pennies a day like HCTZ. The fact that you are NOT on any diuretic in that melange of drugs indicates your doctor holds himself ABOVE this recommendation.

Remember: Doctors are not ultimately responsible for our health care...WE ARE!

Last edited by zip2play; 10-29-2004 at 04:39 AM.

Old 10-29-2004, 05:16 AM   #17
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play
I feel that three drugs to treat hypertension is AT LEAST one too many. Your doctor has also IGNORED the FDA's STRONG recommendation that doctors STOP pushing the pricey, less effective meds like the amlodipine in Lotrel in favor of the BETTER drugs that cost pennies a day like HCTZ. The fact that you are NOT on any diuretic in that melange of drugs indicates your doctor holds himself ABOVE this recommendation.
I completely disagree here. Fortunately, most doctors are ignoring those stupid JNC-VII recommendations based on that worthless ALLHAT trial. True, it would probably have the same BP lowering effect as amlodipine. And, also, ture, it's very cheap. However, for someone who is only 34 years old, a diuretic is a very poor choice. Diuretics are most appropriate for older, inactive folks over the age of 60. The main problem is that there is a stong link between diuretic use and diabetes. He's only 34. In thise case, I think the increased risk of diabetes is not worth the slightly reduced risk of a CV/stroke event. Especially, when there are better choices available.

Pal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2004, 06:12 AM   #18
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Xanax is a horrible drug to get hookked on

It might be & I agree, but the SSRI's like Paxil made me feel really really sick. It is the only thing that works for me. I understand that getting off of it will be tough. I will stick on it, because it keeps my anxiety in check, which keeps my B/P at really good levels, even more so then the meds.

Zip,

I agree that Lotrel is expensive+. My glucose is at 103, which is slightly high, but I don't want a diuretic if it could raise it even more.

I agree that our health is in out hands, but I'm not a professional. I have a lot of knowledge (thanks to this board especially), but I'm not a doctor. They all seems different.

Doc #1- Put me on Lotrel with Toprol & the Xanax, after trying me on Altace. When he said that Altace was a good drug & wouldn't listen to me, I left.

Doc #2- Switched the Toprol to Atenolol, because she said it would have less side-effects (yeah riiight). She also wanted to wean me off of the Xanax & have me on Paxil. The Paxil made me feel really really sick & did nothing for anxiety. She wanted to wean me off of the Atenolol in time.

Doc #3- Doc #2 left the practice, so Doc #3 came into the picture from the same office. He was a DO, so I said ***. He put me back on the Xanax & said that SSRI's like Paxil cause a lot of side-effects. I had all of my tests run+. Everything came out perfect. My B/P last time was 120/78 & he said that I could wean off of the xanax if I wanted to, but not the Atenolol. I asked when I should come in next & he said "whenever you want to, we have run enough tests on you."

All different opinions.

August Average B/P- 116/66
September Average B/P- 116/66
October Average B/P- 118/70 (I have a new job, so I am taking it more during the day around Lunch & there is more stress).

I usually take it around 15 times a month or so. Last year at this time it was 127/76 on the meds. Advice....

Old 10-29-2004, 09:49 AM   #19
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

Zip,

You said that you feel three drugs to treat hypertension is one too many. What are we folks who need four supposed to do? What is the alternative if four bring your numbers to a good level? Look at JTU, takes four and still does not get good results. If we had our way, we would not choose to take multiple medications, but what can we do?

Old 10-29-2004, 04:45 PM   #20
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I agree with Pal, hctz sucks. I spoke to the AARP healthline and they were surprised i was on hctz as a diabetic. I never told anybody to give me cheap meds, i want good effective meds. I would pay whatever i needed to just to have good health, bcuz there is no price too big for a life. I would take 10 bp meds if it got results without allergic reaction.

At 34 im sure Axe don't want to be a diabetic, shoot at 39 i didn't either.If i were Axe though, i would cut the pill in half and then notify the dr. In the end we are responsible for our own life. I try to trust the drs but it is impossible. They caused me to get high cholesterol and made my glucose readings go up and now they're blaming me. They have also messed up my liver. Never again will i trust anybody more than i trust me.

Closed Thread