It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2004, 01:12 AM   #1
(male)

Karl2 HB User
New with Low blood pressure

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum, but not new to the boards; I have been an active participant at the acne forum for coming up to a year now. Anyway, I would love to get some feedback from you guys. My blood pressure at the moment ranges from 85/59 to 110/68, and I have been feeling light headed with all these numbers. My first experience of low blood pressure came about 6 months ago, when I was on a drug called Spironolactone. Spironolactone is a diuretic, which is commonly used for high blood pressure, and less commonly for acne. I used it for acne, as it is particurlarly good at clearing up oily complexions. Anyway, this drug worked a treat on my acne. I had to stop because it lowered my blood pressure to about 90/58. I got off it and blood pressure returned to normal (don't know the exact figure, but I felt well). I feel good when I'm 120/70 roughly. Back to the present: I currently don't take any synthetic drugs, and have been feeling very fatigued for the last 8 weeks roughly. I cut out dairy from diet for about 9 months until recently; I am now back on dairy, but still feel terrible. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Karl2; 10-26-2004 at 01:13 AM.

Old 10-26-2004, 10:01 AM   #2
Inactive

Random2 HB User
Re: New with Low blood pressure

Karl,

I'm 34 & have an average B/P of 116/66 on meds. When my pulse gets in the 50's, I feel the way that you do.

They say to avoid caffeine, but it beats feeling like a zombie. Drink a cup of coffee.

If the meds. are bringing it down that low, set a doctors appt. I'm sure that there are other meds. for your condition. Going to a dermatologist might be a better solution. Have a regular doc. check your thryroid.

I understand what you say. I feel better when my B/P is 130/80 then 110/64, so I understand.

What some of these docs. need to understand is that what is normal by guidelines, isn't normal for everyone. Being over-medicated is as bad as having HBP sometimes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2004, 01:18 AM   #3
(male)

Karl2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillians Axe
Karl,

I'm 34 & have an average B/P of 116/66 on meds. When my pulse gets in the 50's, I feel the way that you do.

They say to avoid caffeine, but it beats feeling like a zombie. Drink a cup of coffee.

If the meds. are bringing it down that low, set a doctors appt. I'm sure that there are other meds. for your condition. Going to a dermatologist might be a better solution. Have a regular doc. check your thryroid.

I understand what you say. I feel better when my B/P is 130/80 then 110/64, so I understand.

What some of these docs. need to understand is that what is normal by guidelines, isn't normal for everyone. Being over-medicated is as bad as having HBP sometimes.
Thanks for responding Lillians Axe. The coffee dosen't really seem to have any effect at all. I'm not on any medications at all at the moment. I was only on Spironolactone for 6 weeks 4 months ago, so that is not the cause. It sucks falling asleep at 8.30 pm every Saturday night, when I should be out. It's interesting how you said you require a low pulse rate to feel like a zombie, because I feel like that even with my pulse at 70. I can't work it out. Thanks again, and good luck to you!

Old 10-27-2004, 06:05 AM   #4
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Find a good GP & get some blood tests run. If everything turns out fine, then let them know what you experiencing. Feeling like a zombie is no fun!

Old 10-27-2004, 06:38 AM   #5
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Karl,

Though I HATE to say this to anyone, try some saltier foods. Canned soups or those RAMEN types or even higher the old dry packaged Lipton's types (add to boiling water.)

See if the additional salt boosts those 85/59 days and makes you feel better.

Anyone prescribing diuretics for acne should have his shingle removed post haste!

Old 10-27-2004, 08:03 AM   #6

TerryinABQ HB User

Karl2,

The advice from Zip is what my cardiologist has been telling me for several years. Increase salt and water intake above your normal diet. In fact, yesterday he even said that in rare cases like mine, "Panty hose" can be used to constrict the vessels in the legs forcing more blood into the upper body. He also suggested that the panty hose be worn under long pants for us males.

In an earlier post during the past several weeks, I mentioned that pilots can pass out due to blood pooling in the legs. They wear an inflatable garment called a G-suit which squeezes the legs and abdomen to keep blood in the upper part (head) of the body. This is the same principle behind the panty hose.

I also tried to get a definitive number as to where “Low” blood pressure starts and he said that 70-110 (systolic/upper) can be considered “Normal”.

Coffee, while it might get you going will also “Deplete” your blood volume as does any diuretic, tea included. Clear liquids such as “Water” and non-sugared fruit juices do the best in keeping you hydrated. You know that you are well hydrated when your urine is almost clear in color.

As for the meds, it seems as though there are “No” currently designed to “Treat” our low blood pressure problems. What the docs have been doing is to use drugs with known “positive” side effects to treat this condition. They are legally allowed to do this. In your case, you have to weigh the positive results with the acne relief and the negative in lowering of your blood pressure.

In my case, my vessels are very pliable and can dilate almost instantly when hit with a stimulus such as stress and pain. This drops my blood pressure and as my body tries to compensate, my heart instead of pumping more blood will actually slow down and even stop beating. This was documented three years ago during a tilt-table test. As soon as I was lowered to the horizontal position, my heart started beating on its own. This is one reason why it is so important to lay the patient down and prop up their feet if they pass out.

Until more low blood pressure patients complain, the drug companies will not bother even doing the research since there is no financial motive for them.

Terry

Old 10-28-2004, 01:05 AM   #7
(male)

Karl2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryinABQ
Karl2,

The advice from Zip is what my cardiologist has been telling me for several years. Increase salt and water intake above your normal diet. In fact, yesterday he even said that in rare cases like mine, "Panty hose" can be used to constrict the vessels in the legs forcing more blood into the upper body. He also suggested that the panty hose be worn under long pants for us males.

In your case, you have to weigh the positive results with the acne relief and the negative in lowering of your blood pressure.
Thanks Lillian's Axe, Zip2play and TerryinABQ,

I'm pretty desperate to buck this feeling of no feeling so I'm going to try the panty hose. I'm no longer on Spironolactone; in fact, I was on it for only a little while months ago, and dropped it immediately when my pressure took the dive. I've upped my salt intake (last 2 weeks), and it hasn't seemingly done much. Low blood pressure kills my sex drive, I've noticed. I don't have a girlfriend, but if I did, I imagine low blood pressure would put a real dampener on things. Thanks guys, and good luck!

Old 10-28-2004, 05:21 AM   #8
Inactive

zip2play HB User

On the other hand, a new girl friend might do WONDERS for your sex drive.

Last edited by zip2play; 10-28-2004 at 05:23 AM.

Old 10-29-2004, 01:32 AM   #9
(male)

Karl2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play
On the other hand, a new girl friend might do WONDERS for your sex drive.
You make a good point!

Closed Thread