It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2004, 03:03 PM   #1
(female)

Bea HB User
ACE Inhibitors and Couging

I took Altace for two and a half weeks but had to stop it because I developed a cough which, I understand, is a common side-effect of ACE Inhibitors. I've been off it for ten days now but I'm still coughing. How long does it take for the cough to go away after you stop taking the medication?

beafaye

Old 10-26-2004, 04:31 PM   #2
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User
Re: ACE Inhibitors and Couging

I took lisinopril for a long time and my cough lasted for a month.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2004, 04:57 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

I had a cough (and other reactions) from lisinopril (a different ACEI) that started on about day 3. I reported these to my doctor on day 5 and he promptly switched me to something else. For me, the cough cleared up in just a couple days.

The cough is caused by bradykinin accumulation in the lungs. ACE breaks this down. The terminal elimination half-life of ALTACE is stated as being over 50 hours. So, this could obviously take a few days. It sure seems like it should clear up within 10 days. jtu says it took his a month to clear up. It probably depends how long you were on it.

Pal

Old 10-26-2004, 05:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

BEA-

In most people, the cough stops a few days after stopping an ACE inhibitor, but can take up to 3 weeks or more to go away, JTU being a case in point.
Mine took just over 2 weeks.

Palamedes! Thanks for explaining the cough phenomenon more. It took me forever to really understand why the ACES cause cough. Okay so.. tell me if I've got it straight:

1) There's a peptide called bradykinin.

2) ACE is an enzyme that deactivates bradykinin.

2) If you INHIBIT ACE by taking an ACE inhibitor (e.g. Atenolol), you are inhibiting the very substance that inhibits this cough-producing peptide bradykinin.

3) When you take ACE inhibitors, you therefore get an increase in bradykinin.

4) Bradykinin causes cough.

5) So BINGO, there's your cough.
Q.E.D.

Have I got it right?

zuzu xxx

Old 10-26-2004, 06:15 PM   #5
(female)

Bea HB User

I don't think Atenolol is an Ace Inhibitor. I think its a Beta Blocker

Old 10-26-2004, 06:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

OOPS sorry Bea..my mistake..I meant ALTACE....

zuzu xx

Old 10-26-2004, 06:40 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

Yes, atenolol is a beta blocker. Lisinopril (ACE inhibitor) caused me to cough, but I waited a week and the cough went away.

Old 10-27-2004, 06:11 AM   #8
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Atenolol is a beta-blocker with some mean side-effects.... hacking cough during sleep is one of them that I experience from time to time.

Old 10-27-2004, 06:18 AM   #9
Inactive

zip2play HB User

After a couple months of hacking from Vasotec (enalapril), as I recall I coughed for about a week after I stopped.

Old 10-29-2004, 06:59 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I was on Altace for almost 2 yrs., and the ALMIGHTY cough started about 3 months into taking it. I swear I would cough soooo bad, I thought a lung was going to come up, plus tears would run down my face. It lasted about 2 months, and although I told the dr. she just told me it would eventually go away. DAH!!! Yes, it did finally go away, but I had aother side effects from it too, but naturally it was all in my head.

When my BIL was on it, he also got a horrid cough, so his dr. took him off and the cough went away about 3 weeks later. It got less and less each day, but it did take a couple of weeks for it to toally go away. Good luck.

Old 11-01-2004, 07:29 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

If you have allergies or asthma, smoke, get colds with coughs easily, even acid reflux, etc., it might take a bit longer to go away.

I also tried an ACE for a short time (no effect on bp) and like you, felt I would cough up a lung. I have year round seasonal allergies, and before I got them under better control, if I developed a cough, it could take a month to go away completely. I don't remember exactly, but I think it took 3 weeks or so before I stopped coughing after I got off the ACE. You should be coughing a bit less each day, and gradually it will go away.

Closed Thread