It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2004, 08:40 AM   #1

kfz45 HB User
Question Maybe a silly question about calcium channel blockers

I am not on one but my question is: if you are taking calcium channel blockers, is it contraindicated to take a daily calcium supplement? Don't know a thing about this class of drugs so forgive my ignorance please!

Old 10-29-2004, 09:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Maybe a silly question about calcium channel blockers

Kfz,

It's possible that CCBs taken with calcium supplements may cause some risk when taken together in that calcium supps. may interfere with the BP med, decreasing its efficacy. The doctor should be made aware that a supplement is being taken and as long as the patient is being monitored and doing well, there may be no problem continuing with them.

It's always best to tell the physician about any and all over-the-counter items one may be taking when prescribed blood pressure medication.

zuzu xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2004, 10:08 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

I asked that very question of my doctor since I take Norvasc and he said no.

Old 10-29-2004, 06:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfz45
I am not on one but my question is: if you are taking calcium channel blockers, is it contraindicated to take a daily calcium supplement? Don't know a thing about this class of drugs so forgive my ignorance please!
I take a calcium channel blocker (CCB) three times a day. I cannot eat or drink anything containing calcium within two hours before or after taking my CCB, otherwise my heart goes into a very hard pounding which can last for days. I cannot take a calcium supplement at all, or the same thing happens.

It took me a long time to figure out what was happening to me, and I no longer get the hard pounding.

I am also on digoxin, so my problems between my CCB and my consuming calcium could be influenced by being also on digoxin. I also cannot consume any calcium product within two hours of my digoxin, and I cannot take my digoxin pill within two hours of my CCB.

If that sounds confusing, you can imagine why it took me so long to figure out what was causing my heart to jump out of my chest, and stop it from happening.

Old 10-29-2004, 08:52 PM   #5
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Beer, i take verapamil, hctz, humalog, baby asprin, lantus and artichoke extract. How would you suggest i take these? Usually i take all these at the same time with fat free milk. It sounds as though you're saying to space out the time. Any suggestios would be helpful and appreciated.

Old 10-30-2004, 07:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtu91952
Beer, i take verapamil, hctz, humalog, baby asprin, lantus and artichoke extract. How would you suggest i take these? Usually i take all these at the same time with fat free milk. It sounds as though you're saying to space out the time. Any suggestios would be helpful and appreciated.
Well........ it depends upon whether or not you are having heart rhythm problems from the interaction between the meds and with foods, like I had.

You say that you take all those things at the same time, and with milk. Do you take the regular Verapamil, or the slow release version? With the slow release Verapamil I don't know if "when" you take it is that important since it is constantly releasing drug into one's system.

To me, it is very important to separate meds as much as possible, to avoid "unwritten" interactions, and to be on the safe side. It is also very important to try and note, when one's symptoms get worse, what was consumed that day and when.

You have very complex problems. A drug like HCTZ can effect blood sugar levels, as you well know. As with most meds, a med like HCTZ can take a few hours before it is fully effective in the body. So, once you take HCTZ, your endocrine system becomes a moving target, as the medicine begins to take effect, and then at the end of several hours, it starts to lose effect.

I have no idea what would be the effect on your health of altering your med schedule. When you take your meds, either with other meds, or with foods, can definitely effect how the meds work in your body. You might find a better schedule of taking your meds, that could make your meds work better, and make you feel better.

I've gone over some of your posts, and noticed that you are very informed, and do a lot of research. That is great, because we know so much more about our bodies and our reactions, than our doctors. They have to use a "one size fits all" approach to medicine, and they can't take into consideration your individual lifestyle, and what you do during the day that can change the effectiveness of your meds.

How about the humalog and the lantus? Are they supposed to be taken at the same time? Is there supposed to be a "best" time to take those meds?

Old 10-30-2004, 01:15 PM   #7
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Thanks for responding Beer. Yes i do have rhythm problems. Lately, also i have been having shortness of breath. You guys are so smart that i feel dumb in comparison. All i know is this, if something makes me feel worst than i did before the med, then its got to go. Yesterday i took my last hctz and will not have it refilled. My ex gp gave me a script for verapamil 120 to go along with the verapamil 240mg. I don't want to monkey around with meds too much bcuz i feel fine.

yes my verapamil is the slow releasing kind. I think i'll try to take levothroid (thyroid med) 8am then at 9am eat oatmeal & wheat toast dry and take my verapamil. Of course humalog & lantus is ok to take with breakfast. I'll take the asprin 81 at noon and the artichoke extract. I will do this for a week or so. I have no real pain or anything, just dull chest pain until i go for my walk (3miles daily).

Closed Thread