It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2004, 02:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User
How long does it take to detox from Toprol?

I have been having some reactions to Toprol (beta blocker). Concurrently I also started having bp spikes with rapid pulse, mostly in the middle of the night.

I went back to Tiazac (calcium channel blocker), which had worked for me before, adding it to clonidine as needed and the Toprol. I weaned off the Toprol going from 50 mg to 6 days of 25 mg. I tried to stop then, but suffered rebound/withdrawal symptoms. I took 12.5 mg the first day after I stopped 25mg, went without one day, then took 12.5 mg. As I've been cutting down on the Toprol, the bp spikes have not been as severe, and have mostly been during the day. I've not had any Toprol in 6 days, but each day I get a bp spike, rapid pulse, with a bit of nausea, shakes, slight flushing - symptoms I'd describe as withdrawal. If I get a little anxious about something I over react symptoms wise. I should also mention that I have been caffiene free for 3 weeks, so it isn't a caffiene buzz.

I've about decided my bp spikes with rapid pulse are a side effect of the Toprol and not an adrenal tumor, even though I do not see bp spikes and rapid pulse listed as a Toprol side effect.

How long does it take to detox from Toprol, once you have stopped taking it? My doctor would like for me to give up the clonidine, but it is the only thing that quells the spikes. I'd like to get "unhooked" from Toprol before I try giving up the clonidine.

Last edited by mgraylorn; 10-29-2004 at 02:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2004, 07:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User
Re: How long does it take to detox from Toprol?

Anybody care to comment on how long it took for the side effects of Toprol (beta blocker) to go away after they stopped taking it?

On my 7th day after quitting I thought maybe I was done, but on the 8th day I might have had a reaction (small bp spike, some pulse spike).

If this question has been asked before, can you point me to the posts?

Old 11-01-2004, 09:24 AM   #3

lisaa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgraylorn
I have been having some reactions to Toprol (beta blocker). Concurrently I also started having bp spikes with rapid pulse, mostly in the middle of the night.

I went back to Tiazac (calcium channel blocker), which had worked for me before, adding it to clonidine as needed and the Toprol. I weaned off the Toprol going from 50 mg to 6 days of 25 mg. I tried to stop then, but suffered rebound/withdrawal symptoms. I took 12.5 mg the first day after I stopped 25mg, went without one day, then took 12.5 mg. As I've been cutting down on the Toprol, the bp spikes have not been as severe, and have mostly been during the day. I've not had any Toprol in 6 days, but each day I get a bp spike, rapid pulse, with a bit of nausea, shakes, slight flushing - symptoms I'd describe as withdrawal. If I get a little anxious about something I over react symptoms wise. I should also mention that I have been caffiene free for 3 weeks, so it isn't a caffiene buzz.

I've about decided my bp spikes with rapid pulse are a side effect of the Toprol and not an adrenal tumor, even though I do not see bp spikes and rapid pulse listed as a Toprol side effect.

How long does it take to detox from Toprol, once you have stopped taking it? My doctor would like for me to give up the clonidine, but it is the only thing that quells the spikes. I'd like to get "unhooked" from Toprol before I try giving up the clonidine.
OK you meantioned adrenal tumor....where did that come from? Have you had imaging? If they have found one then the best type of BP meds would be a alpha blocker. For some reason these types of meds help those who have an adrenal tumor from getting alot of the spikes, etc. Typically the toprol should be out of your system by now. Maybe it's time to start a new med. Talk to your dr. Maybe he has some ideas. Also if your on a calcium channel blocker have you had your calcium level checked? I'd ask about that too. High calcium levels can also cause your symtpoms. I too did not do well with toprol, it made me very hyper tensive, vision problems, did not control my BP, and added to my symptoms. Alot of people can not tolerate Toprol XL. Take care and I hope you feel better! Lisa

Old 11-01-2004, 01:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Lisaa, I don't know if I have an adrenal tumor. I have had tests for kidney, heart and lung function and they all came back fine. Since those organs seem to be functioning properly, I wondered if I had an endocrine problem. Many of my symptoms fit an adrenal tumor - but I have not had a test for it yet. I was scheduled to take the 24 hour urine test, but I have not taken it yet. I wanted to get off Toprol first. Interestingly, my spikes have decreased now that I am off the beta blocker.

I was hoping these bp and heartrate spikes were a side effect of Toprol, which would go away after I got off that drug. Since I have been off Toprol I have had only 2 minor middle of the night spikes. I am having some moderate daytime spikes, particularly after a big lunch.

The apparently eating related spikes make me still wonder about an endocrine problem (I was really hoping it was all the result of Toprol!). I go see my doctor on Friday. I will see if she will refer me to an endocrinologist. And maybe I will do the urine test, based on our discussion on Friday.

Last edited by mgraylorn; 11-02-2004 at 12:30 PM.

Old 11-01-2004, 02:08 PM   #5

lisaa HB User

Just so you know there are so many tests out there for the adrenals. 24 hr urine is one of them but they only check catecholamines. There are other tests to check your adrenals also. Many people with adrenal problems will have a normal 24 urine test. In other words this test doesnt always show anything. Talk to your dr about it. I'm not saying your wasting your time or anything, do the test ( I have had 2 and they came back normal) but if it comes back normal you can not completely rule out an adrenal problem. Best of luck! Lisa

Old 11-02-2004, 12:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Yea, I know the urine test is not the most reliable. From what I've read on line, there are all sorts of drug and food restrictions before taking it - none of which my doctor mentioned, and I asked specifically. If it does come back negative I will push for further tests. I'm really hoping she will refer me to an endocrinologist.

Lisaa, did you have to avoid certain foods before your urine tests?

Old 11-02-2004, 12:45 PM   #7

lisaa HB User

No I did not follow any diet restrictions. I was not told to. If I were you I would just go ahead and push for imaging of your adrenals and kidneys with and without contrast. Also do your 24 hr urine test. I just found out that I have to have surgery to remove a complex kidney cyst. They are giving me 50/50 odds that it is cancer. Although they did call this an incidental finding I went for a sec opinion. This dr had 3 different radiologist read my scans. 2 of which said it needed to come out. I have been plagued with high blood pressure, etc and lots of other symptoms for almost 2 years now. I am hopeing this is all coming to an end. Keep pushing you will find your answers! Go with your gut feelings.....they are usually right. Take care, Lisa

PS you might also want to try and have your dr test your estridol, progestrone,testosterone, DHEA,and cortisol.....to check for further adrenal problems.

Old 11-03-2004, 01:46 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Lisa, that's pretty scary. Hopfully they are wrong about the cancer and that removing the cyst will take care of your problems.

Good luck with your surgery, I hope you get good news.

Closed Thread