It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2004, 08:20 PM   #1

kimberlyh34 HB User
scared to start xanax

I went to the ER a couple nights ago with BP 208/102 an hour later it was down to 158/87, I went to my Dr. two days later and when I got there my BP was 162/94, 20 minutes later after calming down it was 126/78,my dr.gave me xanax and told me to take it when I need it, I have been on 50 mg.s Toprol for the last 4 months,my dilemma is, basically the only time my BP is crazy high is when Im at the dr. or hospital ,should I take a xanax daily even when Im not in a panic and see what my BP is with that ,or wait till Im having an anxiety attack? I work at a drs office so we check my BP pretty regularly and with the toprol it usually is about 130something/80 something.anyways i would appreciate any suggestions about the xanax,Im just not sure if I should take it daily or what.

Old 10-31-2004, 02:32 AM   #2
Inactive

zip2play HB User
Re: scared to start xanax

You are RIGHT to be scared. Xanax is good for short-term stressful situtions, but taken every day, it can soon become an addictive anvil 'round your neck chained on with a BIG LOCK.
Make sure you don't let yourself become habituated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2004, 06:33 AM   #3
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

My best friend has suffered for years with panic/anxiety attacks she only takes it at those times. I think what zip said is correct too addicting to be taking every day..good luck, Lisa

Old 10-31-2004, 07:24 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

Kim,

Just follow your doctor's orders which were to take it only when needed. Taking it daily may not be needed and could become addictive. Best of luck.

Old 11-01-2004, 06:06 AM   #5
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Kimberly,

If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't have started onx Xanax (with my docs. prescription). They have said it is junk, but it helps. The problem is that is very short lasting & wehn you stop taking it abruptly, you feel worse than before & if you try to taper, you feel much worse. It is very very addictive. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. There are other ways to treat anxiety. I would recommend that 1st. Trust me. I can't tell if my stomach problems stem from the withdrawal from the Xanax or the B/P meds. You definitely need to be on something, but I wish that I was told how addicitve this med. is & how horrible it is to "Kick it". It does help lower my B/P, but the addictive qualities of the drug & the horrible side-effects are a nightmare. It takes a long time as well. If you have to take something I would recommend something that lasts longer. I'm not a doctor, but go back to your doc. & ask what your options are for anxiety. Paxil & SSRI's didn't work for me, so I'm still stuck with Xanax. Miss a dose & you'll feel worse than before.

Old 11-01-2004, 04:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User

I also have anxiety and I take Klonopin as needed to control it. Klonopin and Xanax are benzodiazapines and can be very addictive. The trick is to find the minimum dosage that does the job and take them only when needed. These meds work well but you must use them wisely.

Old 11-02-2004, 05:57 AM   #7
Inactive

Random2 HB User

As needed is easier said than done. It has really helped me with my B/P (the Xanax), much more so than the B/P meds. Just had refill, so I will quit the taper process. The SSRI's like Paxil haven't worked.

Last week weaning off of the Xanax from 4 MGS to 2- B/P average 125/77
This week back on the the normal amount for me 116/66

Old 11-02-2004, 07:54 PM   #8

kimberlyh34 HB User

I tried taking a half of a 0.5 xanax a couple times before work but couldnt tell if I felt more relaxed or not,I checked my BP and it was still 138/82 and thats with the toprol also,it never seems to go below 128/80 ,I dont know what to do increase the toprol or xanax or what.Is it o.k for my bp to run in that range daily or should I try something else?

Old 11-03-2004, 05:33 AM   #9
Inactive

zip2play HB User

kimberley,

DON'T use phenothiazine tranquilizers to adjust blood pressure... Maybe a thiazidee addition would get you lower numbers without too much torture.

Old 11-03-2004, 06:13 AM   #10
Inactive

Random2 HB User

I feel that they can help lower one's #'s, but you have to realize the addictive nature of the drug. Stay on the .5 & you shouldn't have too many problems at all. There are few side-effects. When I wake up in the morning, I wonder if my stomach has something to do with the B/P meds., the Xanax or a combo.

Your #'s aren't horrible at all. Toprol slowed down my pulse rate, but didn't do that much for my B/P at the doc. The Xanax did. I went back on my normal dose & I got readings like 116/67 & 116/68 the last 2 days. Last week with a much lower dose I got readings like 140/85 & 133/84. This is with taking the B/P meds. If this doesn't prove that it is anxiety for me, I don't know what will.

Closed Thread