It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2004, 04:31 PM   #1

SimplyOnlyMe HB User
Went in for Birth control pills...came out with HB pills... what happened??

Hello.. Im 28 and just recently went to get some birth control pills... they did all the normal stuff..pee test, blood pressure...then took it again... looked at me and left the room. The Dr came in and took it herself, then asked if i was on any street drugs.. a bit shocked by her question I said of course not... she then told me my BP was 176/102.. then explained what the numbers meant. Took some blood and wouldnt allow me to leave the office til it came down. She put me on a no sodium diet thing for a month and told me to keep a log of my BP everyday. On average the bottom number stays in high 80's to mid 90's, ocassionally spiking to 100-115. Im now on HYDROCHLOROT 25mg... been on them since Oct 22nd, the numbers are still running the same. I called last Friday and asked when this stuff was supposed to work. She said it should have by now to call back if its still in the 90's this Friday. Otherwise I dont go back til january...

Here's my question, when I first went in, the phrase "walking time bomb" was used... if this stuff isnt working, am I at risk to have a heart attack at any given moment? One minute the Dr's seem concerned then the next they seem to act like its no big deal... Ive done research and if Im understanding this correctly, I have mild hypertension where im at risk for organ damage....soo, if this water pill isnt working.. does that mean there is another underlying reason as to why all of a sudden i have high blood pressure??? I just went to the dr's back in August..and called them since, my BP then was 120/64 ..so..what happened??

Thnx for taking time to read this...
S.O.M.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2004, 04:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User
Re: Went in for Birth control pills...came out with HB pills... what happened??

"Walking Time Bomb" WOW that's kind of strong wording. Back in 1979 I went for a job physical and sort of had the same response you got. Up untill that time I had always had low to normal BP. That day it was 190/120. The Dr and nurses were freaking out so naturally I freaked out too. Back then it was harder to get good info especially from the people who actually had the problem so my imagination went wild and I couldn't sleep at night afraid I would have a heart attack at any minute.
So it's possible you have anxiety now from worry or it's also possible that a diuretic just doesn't work for you. There are hundreds of combinations of BP meds and they will find one for you. It's very possible this is an isolated incident that is being fed by anxiety and you may be able to make some lifestyle changes and not have to take any meds.
If you can relax. Keep a record of your BP and report back to the dr.
The most important advice you can get right now is relax and try not to worry.
Best of luck,
Cass

Old 11-03-2004, 05:43 AM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Birth control pills can easily raise BP about 10 points and are also an additional stroke risk...on TOP of the BP effect.

A jiggling BP like you have is termed LABILE at your age, and the treatment is geared to forstalling the anticipated further rise with age.
THERE'S NO IMMEDIATE RISK TO NUMBERS LIKE YOU ARE GETTING...but the BC pills may eventually have to get deep-sixed for an alternative (sorry!).

Why not keep a log at home and get 2 readings a day, a half day apart, over a 30 day period. Then you'll know better where you really stand.

The HCTZ tends to work better in the salt-sensitive and the bloat-ready population (like me.)
I gain 5 pounds and 10 points BP at the mere MENTION of a potato chip!

Last edited by zip2play; 11-03-2004 at 05:46 AM.

Old 11-03-2004, 01:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Were you extra anxious when you went in for the most recent doctor appointment? Really stressed from work or anything? Ate a bunch of really salty stuff and were also dehydrated?

It does seem strange to go from normal bp to very hypertensive in 3 months. Take frequent readings and see what your numbers are over several days.

I'd say the stuff you are taking isn't working and you should push to try something else, if your bp readings are high.

Old 11-03-2004, 04:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User

What has your systolic numbers been since starting the medication? Have they dropped significantly?

Blood pressure fluctuates throughout the day, so when you do monitor your readings for the doctor, make sure you are relaxed, have not just consumed a meal (higher normally during digestion), or have exercised or smoked at least 30 minutes, as this will cause some higher readings.

Stress/Anxiety can spike BP, if you find yourself obsessed over your BP, and monitoring it 20 times a day, STOP-does more harm than good, you get your self sensitized to being "prepared" for an elevate reading, and that is what you will get.

If your BP has been sudden onset and medication is not significantly reducing it-asked to be checked for pheochromocytoma.

Old 11-04-2004, 12:06 PM   #6

SimplyOnlyMe HB User

I have been keeping a log and no meds havent dropped it. In fact, just today I checked it and I was 153/108. Yesterday I started to feel "funny" after being extremely pleased as I landed a job. I then got a bit light headed and my chest felt weird. Not pain, just strange as best as i can describe it.. so I checked my BP as I do have a digital LifeTouch monitor. It was 145/104.. worried I called the Dr. I was put on hold and then told to go straight to the ER. Well, I couldnt. I was the only one home and my girls were due to get off the bus in 15 mins and I had no one I could call. They are 6 & 10 so there was no way I was just leaving. Instead, I laid dn a bit and took a few deep breaths. When they got home it was 152/96, I waited and checked 15 mins later and it was 138/89. Not having insurance, I opted to stay home. Now before anyone says thats a stupid move let me say something. Back in August I had chest pains and went to the ER, they ran ekg, bp, everything... couldnt find a thing wrong with me... my bp was normal... I now have a $1600 bill that I have to pay out of my own pocket..and nothing was done for me.

Numbers have been like this:
10/30
9am 136/82 9pm 140/100

10/31
7:30am 124/91 136/87

11/1
7am 129/87 10pm 147/95

11/2
7am 128/82 8pm 141/102

11/3
8am 146/92 3pm (felt funny) 145/104 3:15pm 152/96 3:30pm 138/89

11/4
8am 131/92 12:45pm 153/108

The foods I eat are: plain white rice, fruits, fresh vegies... nothing canned and only water or Tea...occasionally a Dr Pepper as its only 25mg in sodium... on the plus side since i cant eat any REAL food, I ve dropped 12 lbs...

Thnx Again Oh and I have NO clue what "pheochromocytoma" is but I'll look into it.

S.O.M.

Last edited by SimplyOnlyMe; 11-04-2004 at 12:07 PM.

Old 11-04-2004, 12:40 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Sounds like you are a classic renin hypertensive. Your salt diet is good. But, only if you are on the right drug. You need an ACEI or ARB - not a diuretic. If you've cut your sodium down to the point where you are counting 25 mg in your diet soda, you are clearly sodium depleted. And, since your BP is not responding, it sounds like your kidneys are producing tons of renin, keeping it elevated. An ACEI or ARB will prevent the renin from raising your BP. And, then, you can truly appreciate the benifits of your low-sodium diet. I'll bet you will respond almost immediately to any ACE or ARB.

The ACE is cheaper as it is available in generic form. This may be important since you don't have insurance. But, it can cause a cough. The ARB has a better side-effect profile. But, it's going to be more expensive.

And, furthermore, I wouldn't worry too much about those numbers. They aren't really high enough to cause any immediate problems or symptoms. It takes years and years to cause problems. Your worrying about them is only causing anxiety making everything worse. Just calm down.

Pal

Old 11-04-2004, 02:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

The pheo thing is an adrenal tumor. They are rare, and most are benign. But, they do occur.

See if you can be switched to an ACE first before worrying about tumors.

Old 11-05-2004, 05:15 AM   #9
Inactive

zip2play HB User

SIMPLYONLYME,

PLEASE, don't continue to restrict sodium WHILE TAKING the thiazide. That is a recipe for disaster. Low sodium levels are QUITE serious and dangerous.
One does one or the other, never both unless highly edematous (filled with fluid.)

I'm amazed your doctor didn't say anything about getting off BC hormones.

Last edited by zip2play; 11-05-2004 at 05:17 AM.

Old 11-06-2004, 02:52 PM   #10

SimplyOnlyMe HB User

Quote:
PLEASE, don't continue to restrict sodium WHILE TAKING the thiazide.
Umm shes the one that told me to restrict sodium and take the pills.....

Old 11-07-2004, 08:22 AM   #11
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I was also put on a low sodium diet when i was taking hctz. But now im wondering if that was safe advice. What Zip and Pal says make more sense to me. I had a much of quacks taking care of me.

Old 11-07-2004, 03:30 PM   #12

MathMom HB User

What about loop diuretics such as furosemide (Lasix)? Should I be restricting salt when taking this diuretic? My doctor told me to.

Closed Thread