It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2004, 07:38 AM   #1
Inactive

Random2 HB User
Some Questions

Appointment with my doc. on 11/10. It was supposed to be on 1/06, but I wanted to really go over the meds. with him to see if I could wean. He wouldn't let me wean last time with 120/78 in his office & 116/66 outside of his office. I had 158/80 last time in his office, but I have white-coat. I took 1 Xanax before my last appt. & my #'s were normal. He told me that I could wean off of the Xanax, but not the Atenolol??? I'm taking 100 MGS of Atenolol & 5/20 of Lotrel. I have brought up ARB's in the past, but have always been shot down.

1) What should I do on this appt., so that he takes this seriously (that I want to wean???) I hate the side-effects.

2) How often do they run blood tests, EKG+ (I had a CBC, Metabolic Panel, Thyroid in May & everything was perfect. I had an EKG in April 2003 & August 2004 & it was perfect. I also had a Chest Xray in August 2004, which was perfect.

3) The doc. has admitted that I have white-coat yet he wanted to wean me off of the Xanax??? Doesn't make much sense at all. Wean the patient off of what is bringing the B/P down, because of anxiety, but keep him on the meds. with the side-effects?

4) What other questions would you ask?

5) Last week with 1/2 the dose of Xanax that I usually take B/P 120/75- 143/85. This week with my normal dose of Xanax B/P 126/80- 116/66. Anxiety-related??? I think that a 3rd grader could figure that out.

I'm 5' 11" 148-150 & in good shape.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2004, 10:25 AM   #2
Inactive

Random2 HB User
Re: Some Questions

Please advice on this topic. It will help me next week. Answers appreciated.

Old 11-03-2004, 10:37 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

Axe,

As far as what to say, I would just be firm and TELL him that weaning is what you want to do. It is your body. If your BP gets out of control without the meds, you can always go back on some form of BP medication. As far as the xanax goes, maybe he wants to wean you off that because it can become addictive. Just ask him to explain why he would want to stop the xanax. Ask questions Axe and just don't accept no. Ask for explanations. Good luck. Thank God for my wonderful GP!!!

Old 11-03-2004, 11:47 AM   #4
Inactive

Random2 HB User

It's confusing, because he said that there are forms of SSRI's & he has tried 9.... 4 of them including Paxil made him sick. Xanax is for anxiety. He said that if it works for me then to stay on it. The next visit, he said if you want to wean off of it you can. I am confused!!! 1st he says one thing & then he said another. What message does that send??? My 2nd doc. who was in his office was entirely against xanax & put me on the Paxil. She left his practice the following week. She also wanted to wean me off of the Atenolol. This doc. won't, because he says that 120/78 in his office isn't low enough, even though I average 116/66 outside of his office on the meds. I feel like I'm wasting my time.

Old 11-03-2004, 01:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Axe, Listen to what bharkins said. Don't let the doc brush you off. Just keep on asking why can't I wean of the Beta Blocker and try something else. Just because your BP is under control with the BP meds you are currently taking doesn't mean the somthing else with less side effects wont work just as well or bettter. Tell him if he doesn't help you you will just quit taking them. I bet that will get his attention.
We all will be thinking of you on the tenth and hoping you can resolve this.
It's obvious that this is weighing on your mind and that can't be good for your BP
Cass

Old 11-03-2004, 01:42 PM   #6
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Thanks Cass. The 3rd doc. was cool the 1st couple of times that I saw him, but now he figures I'm 34, have had all of the tests come out fine, my B/P is in check.... just deal with the side-effects. When the office suggested the Nurse Practicioner 2 weeks ago, I said no.

Old 11-03-2004, 04:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User

Axe,

I know you have been anticipating this visit for sometime now. I would approach it this way-

Doctor, I would like to start a slow wean on the Atenolol for a couple weeks (first week to get over some possible rebound tachycardia) second, to see if your numbers are still staying the same or rising. I would like to take this approach FIRST, as I feel COMFORTABLE with LITTLE to NO side effects on the BP meds and BP is controlled, then I would be suspectible to weaning the Xanax later or taking it on as need basis down the line.

I would shoot for around 75mgs on Atenolol keeping the other BP med the same dose and Xanax as you currently are taking it. If things go well, then after 2-3 weeks, on down to around 50mgs Atenolol,etc. I truly think if your numbers stay controlled as your weaning, your anxiety will drop over your BP, and namely the side effects, and then you can approach the subject of tapering the Xanax or using it PRN.

Old 11-03-2004, 05:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbyroad
Axe,

I know you have been anticipating this visit for sometime now. I would approach it this way-

Doctor, I would like to start a slow wean on the Atenolol for a couple weeks (first week to get over some possible rebound tachycardia) second, to see if your numbers are still staying the same or rising. I would like to take this approach FIRST, as I feel COMFORTABLE with LITTLE to NO side effects on the BP meds and BP is controlled, then I would be suspectible to weaning the Xanax later or taking it on as need basis down the line.

I would shoot for around 75mgs on Atenolol keeping the other BP med the same dose and Xanax as you currently are taking it. If things go well, then after 2-3 weeks, on down to around 50mgs Atenolol,etc. I truly think if your numbers stay controlled as your weaning, your anxiety will drop over your BP, and namely the side effects, and then you can approach the subject of tapering the Xanax or using it PRN.
GREAT advice, Crabbyroad

Old 11-04-2004, 06:00 AM   #9
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Great advice Crabbyroad. It's been strange this week, because my stomach has been fine, which I can't say for an entire week fo a long time. I don't get it. I was even contemplating putting the appt. off until Jan. when it was originally scheduled for, but I should just bite the bullet & go for the 5th or 6th time this year. It just gets old after a while.

Closed Thread