It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2004, 09:35 AM   #1

donttell HB User
narrowed arteries

I posted here a while back about the possiblility of having a pheocromocytma. THat has come to be a big negative. On monday I went in for an artiogram and am told that an artery leading to my left kidney is severely narrowed. So narrow there is not even a possibliltiy of angioplasty or a stent.

This happened in 93 and I developed an anyursym leading to my right kidney which was repaired. I am now wondering what kind of options my doctors were giving me. The radioloigst who performed this procedure mentioned the degree of difficulty for placing a stent was an 8 which is the hightest degree of difficulty. (I hardley remember much because I was drugged and he did not speak to family members). I am currently on 13 pills a day 4 different medications. My fear is because my blood pressure is at least now where they feel comfortable 121/88 they will make me continue this route of meds. I don't think I could stand it.

Is there another procedure?
What about replacing the vein?
I am scared any one know about this?

Old 11-04-2004, 10:57 AM   #2
Inactive

Random2 HB User
Re: narrowed arteries

How did they find this out in the 1st place????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2004, 04:57 AM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User

donttell,

We can function just fine on one kidney. I'm not saying that you should have one removed but rather that the right should do the job even with 100% blockage of the left renal artery.

BUT if the repair on the right aneurism repair job has clotted over, then you need a surgical intervention to fix one or the other or BOTH. I think the bypass of the blockage isn't very difficult surgery...NOTHING like coronary artery repair.

Staying on four drugs to limp the kidneys along seems the wrong way to go to me too!

Remember, If you need a job with a "degree of difficuty of 8" done, make sure you don't have a doctor whose level of competence only extends to 7.

Last edited by zip2play; 11-05-2004 at 05:08 AM.

Old 11-06-2004, 07:32 AM   #4

donttell HB User

zip I agree with you, is it to much to ask that a Dr. who is a surgeon think out of the box? Unfortunatley My Dr.s who did this procedure 10 years ago are not within my health care because I am a Kaiser patient. My vascular surgeon spent a total of 7 minutes with me to say that I am better off with the 15 meds I take each day, isn't that a bit much? Is that really considered controlled bp?

I have demanded a second opinion with a Dr. from UCSF who contracts with kaiser, my primary Dr. said he will "read my chart and angiogram report, and get back to me" on whether or not he will give me the referrl for a second opinion. My thoughts are, who wouldnt want one, Id ask even if the surgeon recommended surgery.

I am tired of feeling as if I have to fight for good care. I am 40 years old with two children. Part of me feels like they think I am just being difficult, which I am sure they think this way.

When all is said and done, I am changing my primary Dr. Did I forget to mention this is now the left kidney we are talking about. The right one is still doing great with the work that was done. No problems what so ever.

Last edited by donttell; 11-06-2004 at 07:35 AM.

Old 11-06-2004, 11:30 AM   #5
Inactive

zip2play HB User

A good right kidney SHOULD be able to handle good toxin clearance and maintain a decent BP.

That said...ALL HMO's allow for a second opinion and ALL allow for frequent change of PCP (primary). Change yours, he doesn't have your interests at heart!

Kaiser is coming across less and less rosy...I like my Oxford (except for the payments.)

Old 11-06-2004, 12:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by donttell
zip I agree with you, is it to much to ask that a Dr. who is a surgeon think out of the box? Unfortunatley My Dr.s who did this procedure 10 years ago are not within my health care because I am a Kaiser patient. My vascular surgeon spent a total of 7 minutes with me to say that I am better off with the 15 meds I take each day, isn't that a bit much? Is that really considered controlled bp?

I have demanded a second opinion with a Dr. from UCSF who contracts with kaiser, my primary Dr. said he will "read my chart and angiogram report, and get back to me" on whether or not he will give me the referrl for a second opinion. My thoughts are, who wouldnt want one, Id ask even if the surgeon recommended surgery.

I am tired of feeling as if I have to fight for good care. I am 40 years old with two children. Part of me feels like they think I am just being difficult, which I am sure they think this way.

When all is said and done, I am changing my primary Dr. Did I forget to mention this is now the left kidney we are talking about. The right one is still doing great with the work that was done. No problems what so ever.
15 meds? WOW, that's a lot, What are they and what are thay for?
I guess I am lucky. My hubby is a veteran of 24 yrs and our health care is wonderful and free!

Old 11-06-2004, 03:07 PM   #7
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

So how did you find out the artery was too narrow in the first place? What events and/or symptoms led up to this??

Old 11-09-2004, 10:06 AM   #8

donttell HB User

I have neurofibromatosis a mild form. But with this comes narrowed arteries and a narrowed arota. I have migraines since childhood, I clearly remember having a migraine when I must have been 4.

It was not diagnosed until I was about 15 and I was "watched" closely from then on. I had an angioplasty at the age of 23 which was great until about 30. At thirty after another angiogram they discovered the anyrusm which they knew I had grew larger, thus the kidney auto transplant(my own kidney worked on and then replaced.

All has been well, (still controlled with some medication) until a while ago.

After making a plea to my Dr. and his sidekick surgeon, I am feeling beaten. Yesterday with a 15 minute conversation on the phone he kept telling me that Perhaps I am so anxious I am causing this. I repeatdly would tell him, that I am more sick from medication than anxious. I asked if he would allow a family member of his to go through such tortue, would he not want a second opinion. He would say such phrases as " I can hear in your voice you are anxious, and I understand." Did I mention that when speaking to the surgeon and complaining of all the meds her response was:
"Now listen HIV patients have to take much more than that" Yes, and I feel badly for them, but what about me?

I know this is poor care, but I am losing my strength.
My Dr. tells me that the narrowing was only 40% and it is considered that a stent would not be helpful unless the narrowing is 80%. I have looked this information up and it is what I have read. But does that mean I have to be a text book case.

He has talked me into trying to wean off some meds and waiting for a 2nd opinion, now I regret that, he wore me down. Can I change my mind?

I know that I will not stick with him as a primary, once this is over. Is it because I am a woman that I am considered anxious?

Old 11-09-2004, 04:32 PM   #9
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Not all HIV patients take more pills. My older bro. only takes 7 pills since 1998 and he has full blown aids. In 2000, i started taking 24 pills, seven of them for hbp and heart related things.

Closed Thread