It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2004, 11:33 PM   #1

ArmyGirlUSA HB User
Should I be concerned???

My blood pressure has been pretty high .....153/97, 148/97---along those ranges. My doctor has just become concerned and I had to stay home from work on friday. I have to do a 5-day blood pressure check...again. The first time I did one, my other doctor didn't seem concerned. I have fibromyalgia, plantar fasciitis, and I am ANA positive with a titer of 1:1280. I heard that if the diastolic number is high, there is a great concern, especially if it reaches 100. Mine is 97! Something about having to be hospitalized? I know when I was pregnant I had an emergency c-section because my bp was that high. Now I'm not pregnant, not overweight (I'm 5'5" and 127 lbs), don't smoke, don't drink--so, what is going on? I'm only 30 and I can't believe I'm having bp problems.

Old 11-07-2004, 06:07 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User
Re: Should I be concerned???

Those numbers are more of a long term health concern than ER material. I believe the level is 180/110 when it becomes urgent. So, you can relax a little.

As far as fibromyalgia is concerned, I did come across something called the Marshall Protocol that claims to cure such auto-immune diseases. I ran across this recently when I was researching my HBP drug, Benicar. And, Benicar is an important part of the treatment. I am in no way endorsing this. I found it more of a curiosity. It also makes me feel safer about Benicar knowing that there are folks out there taking 40 mg of it every 4 hours. This works out to 320 mg per day. I take only 20.

Pal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2004, 09:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

ArmyGirl,
Your blood pressure is, yes, elevated, but by no means is it anywhere near approaching a hypertensive emergency, which would be a systolic of 240 or greater and a diastolic of 120 or greater.

So try to relax and not panic... your doctor would have had you hospitalized if he felt there was any urgency. And at this point, with your #s, you are absolutely in no immediate danger.

He is doing the right thing by wanting to monitor you for a few days to see if this is a temporary abberrant spike or whether it's sustained.

When you say a five-day blood pressure check, does that mean you are hooked up to an ambulatory monitor??

zuzu xx

Old 11-08-2004, 06:12 AM   #4
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Are you on meds? Is this more of an isolated incident? I think that a 5 day check at this point is a little extreme, but relax. Stress & anxiety can cause high readings.

Old 11-08-2004, 12:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palamedes
Those numbers are more of a long term health concern than ER material. I believe the level is 180/110 when it becomes urgent. So, you can relax a little.

As far as fibromyalgia is concerned, I did come across something called the Marshall Protocol that claims to cure such auto-immune diseases. I ran across this recently when I was researching my HBP drug, Benicar. And, Benicar is an important part of the treatment. I am in no way endorsing this. I found it more of a curiosity. It also makes me feel safer about Benicar knowing that there are folks out there taking 40 mg of it every 4 hours. This works out to 320 mg per day. I take only 20.

Pal
Pal.
I found your info on Benicar & auto-immune diseases to be very interesting.
A while back my cardiologist wanted me to take a 40/25 Benicar HCT two times a day because my BP is so great for about 6 or 7 hours after I take the Benicar HCT and then it slowly creeps back up. I declined her advice because I don't like to exceed the max dose of any drug even on a dr's advice. What do you think?
Cass

Old 11-08-2004, 12:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

vamp36 HB Uservamp36 HB User

I have an Autoimmune DIsorder as well. My immune system is attacking my liver and pancreas. I am Prednisone to lower my immune system. SInce then,I have had high blood pressure. I've had to make two ER trips already because of it. My BP was up to 190/140. They gave me meds in an IV and it dropped back to normal immediately. I was finally placed on Topral XL. Now my BP is fine. Sometimes our disorders have a role in it and sometimes the meds we are on can also.

Old 11-09-2004, 05:31 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASSIEBEL
Pal.
I found your info on Benicar & auto-immune diseases to be very interesting.
A while back my cardiologist wanted me to take a 40/25 Benicar HCT two times a day because my BP is so great for about 6 or 7 hours after I take the Benicar HCT and then it slowly creeps back up. I declined her advice because I don't like to exceed the max dose of any drug even on a dr's advice. What do you think?
Cass
I don't think you'd be anywhere near exceeding the max dose on either Benicar or HCTZ if you doubled up your current dose. The FDA data suggests that Benicar has excellent 24 hour BP control. And, you can take up to 320 mg per day of it. They did tests taking it twice a day vs. once a day and it made virtually no difference. However, every person is different.

If you did take your current pill twice a day, you might be exposing yourself to more side-effects. Another idea to try would be to split your current pill and take it twice a day.

Pal

Old 11-09-2004, 01:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palamedes
I don't think you'd be anywhere near exceeding the max dose on either Benicar or HCTZ if you doubled up your current dose. The FDA data suggests that Benicar has excellent 24 hour BP control. And, you can take up to 320 mg per day of it. They did tests taking it twice a day vs. once a day and it made virtually no difference. However, every person is different.

If you did take your current pill twice a day, you might be exposing yourself to more side-effects. Another idea to try would be to split your current pill and take it twice a day.

Pal
Thanks Pal,
Splitting is a good idea.
Cass

Closed Thread