It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2004, 10:50 AM   #1

T Ruth HB User
De-Calf Coffee and Blood Pressure

I SWITCHED TO dE-cALF COFFEE AND MY BLOOD PRESSURE IS WAY HIGH.
HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD A SENSITIVITY TO DRINKS OR FOODS???
pERHAPS THIS HAS BEEN DICUSSED, BUT i AM NEW TO THIS BOARD.
EXCUSE UPER CASE. I HUNT AND PECK. THANKS T RUTH

Old 11-07-2004, 11:57 AM   #2
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User
Re: De-Calf Coffee and Blood Pressure

Hi T Ruth, welcome to the board. I LOVE coffee. I like the caffienated coffee but my dietician advised me to drink the de-caf. De-caf is suppose to not raise bp. I drink both. I drink 2 cups of caffienated coffee per day, but if i need more then it must be de-caf.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2004, 12:28 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

I gave up coffee altogether. I now drink two cups of de-caf green tea instead. I really think it plays a part in my good BP numbers.

Old 11-07-2004, 12:46 PM   #4
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I also drink 2 cups of green tea mostly in the evening hrs. Coffee in the am hrs just b4 my walks.

Old 11-07-2004, 12:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

T Ruth,

Caffeine really doesn't play a significant role in sustained high blood pressure. And de-caf even less, if at all.

Is this the first time you've had elevated readings? What are your #s?

Last edited by zuzu8; 11-07-2004 at 12:52 PM.

Old 11-07-2004, 03:48 PM   #6

T Ruth HB User

zuzu8...HI.. MY READING ON MY MONITOR RUNS 145/70 SOMETINES A BIT HIGHER, BUT WHEN I GO TO THE CLINIC , THEY COME UP WITH LIKE 134/64. I USUALLY ONLY CHECK EVERY 7 TO 10 DAYS, BUT NOTICED WHEN CHECKING BLOOD SUGAR INSTEAD OF HAVING TO FIGHT TO GET BLOOD IT WAS COMING RIGHT OUT, GOOD AMOUNT WITH NO PROB, SO I SUSPECTED BP UP. WELL GOT TO 206/139 THIS WAS THIS LAST THUR PM AND EVE. CALLED DR. HE SAID GO TO BED EARLY AND NOT CHECK IT AGAIN AND SEE HIM FRI. WELL FRI HE ADDED THE ATC WATERPILL 12.50 MG TWICE A DAY. SUPPOSE HASN'T HAD TIME TO WORK. SAT EVE STILL UP 186/91, SO CALLED DR. ON CALL AT HOSPITAL, HE SAID NOT TO ADD ON MY COREG Rx, LEAVE EVERYTHING AS IS TILL I GET MY MONITOR CHECKED. BUT I CAN TEL BY BLOOD AMOUNT COMING OUT OF FINGER ***** THAT IT IS UP. I AM 76 HAVE BOTH HEART FAILURE AND DIBETES. TWO THINGS I HAD DONE DIFF, STARTED DE-CALF COFFEE, AND YOGURT, YOGURT I SEE HAS ASPERTAME SWEETNER. SO WONDERING IF I COULD BE SENSITIVE TO ONE OR THE OTHER?? TODAY I HAD REG COFFEE, I SEEMED TO FEEL BETTER. MAYBE JUST MORE AWAKE????? JUST 2 CUPS.
YOU HAVEN'T HEARD OF ANYONE SENSITIVE TO EITHER OF THESE???
I WAS BORN A WORRIER, AND HAVE ALWAYS HAD ANXIETY, SO THAT IS BAD.
I TAKE 0.4 MG OF LORAZEPAM AT BEDTIME, SO SLEEP GOOD, THANKFULL FOR THAT.
I HAVE NO FAMILY NEVER HAD CHILDERN, NO DISTRACTIONS, HAVE ONLY MADE 2 FRIENDS IN 3 YEARS, BECAUSE OF BAD BACK I DON'T GET OUT. AND NOT IN TOUCH WITH GREAT NIECES ETC. I READ AND DO THIS, CAN KEEP REALLY BUSY, BUT STILL THE WORRY AND ANXIETY IS THERE.
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY

Old 11-07-2004, 06:29 PM   #7

naes HB User

I drink lot's of pop and coffee and it doesn't really effect me. It's said that caffeine raises BP temporarily, but if you got OFF the caffeine and your BP has gone up, perhaps you're addicted and your body is like... depressed Caffeine is addictive.

Old 11-07-2004, 07:16 PM   #8

T Ruth HB User

zuzu8.. my reply too long. see page 2 please thanks

Old 11-07-2004, 08:04 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User

When I order coffee, I order half decaf and half regular. It still provides good flavor with half the caffine and doesn't seem to bother my BP.

Old 11-07-2004, 09:35 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

T Ruth,

There's an enormous amount of controversy about aspartame. Even though it has been approved and considered safe by the FDA, there are many dieticians, nutritionistists, and quite a few mainstream medical professionals who believe that many people may be sensitive to it. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence (i.e. not based on clinical controlled studies) of "side effects" or "adverse reactions" ranging from hypertension to ear-ringing to cancer!

I personally think your monitor is out of whack.

For you to be getting high readings at home and gorgeous readings at the doctor's office is very unusual. It's usually the other way round, since there is always a certain degree of anxiety and stress in the doc's office, thereby giving us abnormally elevated readings when we're there.

When are you seeing the doctor again? Take your monitor with you to check it against his. If it's giving you false readings, you can't tell if the diuretic is working properly yet or not.
(By the way, as far as I know you cannot judge blood pressure by how freely your blood flows from a finger "stick" but I may be wrong...)

zuzu xx

Old 11-08-2004, 04:05 AM   #11
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Hi TRuth,

I quit coffee for 4 months and guess what my bp was still the same (high). I tried everything so not to be put on any meds and the people on this board can vouch for my many frustrating posts in the past. I went back to my coffee drinking ways which is about 2 cups every morning and gave in and went on the meds. My bp is good now for the last 1 1/2 except when i get stressed then it tends to go up..good luck to you it's worth a try giving it up it may work for you..everyone is different..Lisa

Old 11-08-2004, 06:20 AM   #12
Inactive

Random2 HB User

If I didn't have a a cup of coffee in the morning & one in the afternoon on work days, I would feel like a zombie on the meds. Docs would like us to quit drinking, quit smoking, cut down on salt, no caffeine+++. I can do 2 out of the 4..... no drinking & no salt. During work days I need some caffeine or I would feel like the living dead.

Old 11-08-2004, 08:02 AM   #13

T Ruth HB User

zuzu8.....Thank you so much for your reply. I am taking my monitor in today or tomarrow to have it checked.

Old 11-08-2004, 08:11 AM   #14

T Ruth HB User

To all that replyed. Loved your input. Thank you all for reply's I had real coffee yesterday and felt better, but still don't know what my bp doing. Stuck head in the sand till I get my monitor checked. Worry, anxiety, fears are my worst enemy probly.

Old 11-08-2004, 12:32 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Hi TRuth and welcome,
I too have always been a worrier and in the last 25 yrs I have mainly focused on my High BP. I agree that your monitor may be out of wack cause my BP goes through the roof at the docs and is pretty much under control at home.
One thing I have noticed about myself is if I am thinking about my health my BP is usually at it's highest, if I am busy doing something I enjoy it is usually beautiful.
Agin, Welcome,
Cass

Closed Thread