It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2004, 07:09 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Los Angeles Doctor

Yup, I hear ya, we need a dr., just have to keep our eyes and ears open for someone who will work a lil better with us. I intend to call this drs. office later and ask about the lipid thing, as it was just done 2 1/2 months ago, plus I told him, I am not going on any statins!! One thing he did that I thought was strange, see if U can make sense of this. After my bloodwork, his office called to say he needed to see me as I had antibodies in my Thyroid and he wanted to start me on meds. When I got there, I told him I have been told that for over 20 yrs. but asked what was so different this time? He said, "Oh, I didn't know U had been told this before, your numbers were within range, but I thought maybe U needed meds." Then he goes on to say if it has been like this for that many years, no need for meds. and out the door he went. Now was that a total waste of my time and money or what? I walked out shaking my head, as did hubby.

Hubby has type 2 diabetes, and he get's very high Trig readings, but after being on Statins for a long time, he got nasty side effects, so neither his reg. dr. not his cardio man push him to go on meds. Like his cardio guy said, U also have to have a decent QUALITY of life, it isn't all numbers, but they check him every 6 months. His cardio guy is head of cardiology at one of our hospitals, so he is no dummy, plus he has such a wonderful manner about him, U can ask him anything. He took hubby off those vitamin E pills 2 years ago, as he said they weren't doing whatever they were advertised to do, guess he was right, as now it is all over the news.

My SIL just found a new dr. and he told her that her Trigs. were a lil high, 137, now sorry, but that is not high. She already told him not to even think about putting her on any Statins. She works for a dr. and she knows they just don't agree with alot of folks, yet other's do fine, but she isn't willing to take the chance. Guess it is just going to be a waiting game till we find a dr. we feel comfortable with, but there has to be one out there somewhere. Hang in there kiddo, it has to get better.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2004, 03:58 PM   #17
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

JJ, be careful about letting any dr put you on thyroid meds. You would have to take them for life. Im sooooooo sorry i let them give me the rai cocktail, bcuz now im always worry if my bp meds are causing problems or is it my thyroid. Get a second opinion if possible.

Old 11-11-2004, 04:32 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Well he made no sense to me at all. For years my drs. have told me I have a sluggish thyroid, but that was about it. Why he had his nurse call me into the office to tell me the same thing, was DUMB, especially when I asked him if my numbers were bad, and he said.."Oh no, they are within range, I just saw anti bodies". All he said after I told him that I have been told for years I had a sluggish thyroid, was.."Oh, well then no big deal", and off he went.

If he or his nurse had called me on the phone and told me what he did in the office, it would have saved a trip. My husband asked me what went on at the visit and I told him, and he looked at me like is this dr. a nutcase or what. I didn't get a chance to call today about the lipid test I am suppose to take in 3 weeks, as I see no need for it when it was just done in Sept. He told me he would check it every 6 months, not every 3, plus he said my numbers weren't all that bad anyway, just a tad high. I even told him they were down from the last time, plus I wasn't taking any statins and why. Like I said, he seemed to be a million miles away that day, or he is just looking for an excuse to make appts. for me.

I also found out that the VA my husband goes to now has a woman's out patient clinic, and his dr. is head of it. I called today for some info. so they are going to send me some stuff in the mail. His dr. is very nice, and they are also affilliated with a much bigger hospital then my present dr. Oh well, I will see what happens during the next 2 months, as I have an appt. with my GYN in 2 weeks, so I am going to chat with him also about a referral. This is getting very frustrating, never had a dr. problem in my life. If I moved or the dr. retired I just went on to another one, but lately, I seem to be running into pill pushers or something, and I am NOT a happy camper.

Take care, and will CYL....

Old 11-12-2004, 06:07 AM   #19
Inactive

Random2 HB User

GP's make $'s through appointments+ & kick-backs+. Scheduling a 34 year old like myself for appointments every 4 months is ridiculous, as well as having blood tests once a year, when everything was perfect 6 months ago. It's a vicious cycle.

Old 11-12-2004, 07:43 AM   #20
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

For sure! I usually have to be tested every 3 mos. My husb. was getting angry bcuz he had to take off work to take me to the dr so often. He doesn't believe in drs. In 33 yrs i think he's seen a dr 2 times. he doesn't seem to have any illnesses and he is 61 yrs old. Im beginning to think he might be right. Too bad i have major diseases and dont have the luxury to stop seeing drs. i guess we all just have to be careful and knowledgeable of our care.

Closed Thread