It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2004, 08:50 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User
White Coat Hypertension

My blood pressure was always high at the doctor's office. To explain the situation a few years ago I went to the doctors and the nurse took my blood pressure and started to walk away. I asked her what it was and she said 140/92. The doctor came in and I asked him if I had high blood pressure. He shook his head and said that he would be treating everyone for high blood pressure based on readings in the office and that I was fine. He took it again and this time is was 126/82. The next time I went I had changed primary care physicians and the same thing. The nurse took it and it was over 140/90 but this time she asked if I had pressure problems which made my very concerned. Everytime I went back it was always over 140/90 and because I would be more and more nervous each time it would be higher every time I went. Finally my last doctor had me take readings at home and they were normal or in the high normal range. He put me on Diovan and the last time he checked my BP was 118/74. My home readings are under 120/80 most of the time now. I am just wondering if I truly have hypertension or "white coat" ? I hate the idea that I will have to be on medication the rest of my life...

Old 11-09-2004, 10:01 AM   #2

BobK07 HB User
Re: White Coat Hypertension

Its prob just white coat. I am 19 years old who works out 7 days a week with almost no body fat and I eat right. I also have a family history of LOW blood pressure. I get real nervous at the doctor and I get those same readings and even higher. One time I was so nervous that they wouldnt pass me for my baseball physical so I was sent to see a cardiologist so I could get a note to play. He did all the tests and I passed with flying colors. My usuall pulse is like high 40's low 50s because I run like 15 miles a week but it was about 110 in the doc office and my bp was about 168/72 and 150/90. I went on the stress test which elevates your resting blood pressure. Sure enough it dropped to 132/72. the doctor just smiled and said that my resting bp is lower then that esp the sytolic. running takes away the stress so the adrenaline no longer effects the numbers. I heard that once you excersie and your heart rate goes over 120 due to excersize and not stress the emotion no longer effects the readings. I would suggest a stress test and see what you get. It might be a good indicator if you have white coat or not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2004, 10:50 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User

Well, I am a lot older than you. I also have a very low resting pulse rate--usually around 52. I walk on a treadmill 4 or 5 times a week and I watch what I eat and I am not overweight. As soon as the nurse wraps the cuff around my arm my heart is already racing and I am nervous. My pressure was all over the place before I started the medication but always high at the doctors office. I have to see the doctor in January and I am going to mention the stress test. The medication I take has no side effects so that is good but I don't want to be on it if I really don't have hypertension. I also notice that after I exercise and I wait an hour or so my bp goes down even more. I average 115/75 most of the time on the medication...

Old 11-09-2004, 11:47 AM   #4
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Don't want to deal with it, but I am going to the doc. tomorrow to try to get weaned off of Atenolol. My B/P today was 106/64 on the meds. At the doc. it was 158/80 8 months ago & 120/78 last time. I have learned how to cope with white-coat, but we'll see what tomorrrow brings.

Old 11-09-2004, 12:41 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User

Good luck. 120/78 is a good reading at the doctors office.. The last time I went to the doctor the nurse checked it as soon as I had walked down the hall and just sat down and it was 130/86. The doctor checked it again about 10 minutes later and it was 118/74. You are supposed to sit still for at least two minutes before they check it and they never do that. You are also supposed to sit in a chair with a back to it and your feet on the floor and they always have me sit on the end of the table with my feet dangling. I wonder if that makes a difference or not? Any way hope your doctor says you can go off the medication. I take Diovan and have no noticeable side effects . I keep reading that usually once you are prescribed medication for hypertension you have to take it the rest of your life??

Old 11-09-2004, 06:45 PM   #6

BobK07 HB User

Is white coat somthing that you've always had or it it somthing you developed latley?

Old 11-10-2004, 05:52 AM   #7
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Thanks. I get nervous even thinking about going....

Old 11-10-2004, 12:24 PM   #8

susieq52 HB User

take your blood pressure monitor in with you next time you go to the doctor. If you get the same reading as in the doctors office he should accept that you do have white coat sydrom and he should accept the readings that you get at home. If he won't accept it try another doctor. I've always had white coat syndorm until my recent doctor. Now my readings at home are pretty much the same as in the doctors office. I think it's because I had to get used to her and I feel very comfortable with her.

Old 11-10-2004, 01:04 PM   #9
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Mine is too much of an incompetent to realize that. He told me before that I have white-coat, but because on the EKG my heart rate was 69, he said that it couldn't be white-coat.... let's see. You have me on 100 MGS of Atenolol, could that possibly bring my heart rate down???

My B/P yesterday was 108/64
Today in your office it was 156/85.

White Coat???? I'm not a doctor, but I could even pinpoint this one.

Closed Thread