It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2004, 01:05 PM   #1
(female)

strong_one HB User
I got my Resperate In!!!

Ok all...I got my resperate breathing device today. I am going to play with it this afternoon and start using it tomorrow. (Crazy day today at work!) I will make sure I will give you updates on my progress with this device!

Old 11-17-2004, 01:18 PM   #2

DMGW HB User
Re: I got my Resperate In!!!

Please do-I am very interested in this thing!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2004, 07:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I've never heard of this thing. Could you tell me briefly what it is?

Old 11-18-2004, 09:30 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

It's a little device about the size of a home BP device. It has a strap that goes around your chest to measure your breathing. It also has headphones to give you audio feedback. It attempts to lower your breathing rate.

It's basically a stress reducing biofeedback device that they did some research on to allow them to claim that it reduces BP. There are several other such devices on the market. However, at around $300, it's reasonably priced compared to the alternatives. So, it's probably the best option if you want to try something like this.

The only thing I think is a little deceiving is the claim that it reduces blood pressure by 14/9 mmHg on average after 8 weeks of usage. The control group in these studies had a reduction of about 8/4. And, since most drugs list "placebo adjusted" values, a more fair reduction claim would be something like 6/5. So, I'd compare those results to about 1/2 a drug.

But, again, I think it's going to help out more with stress than BP. And, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Furthermore, if stress is the primary source of your high BP, it will probably do more for you.

Pal

Old 03-21-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palamedes
It attempts to lower your breathing rate.
Just wondering how your resperate is doing? Has it lowered you blood pressure? Have you been able to get under 10 breaths a minute?

Old 03-23-2005, 04:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneh
In the morning I easily get 4-5 breaths per minute and in the later day I usually get 5-6 bpm comfortably.
Why can't you get 4-5 breaths per minute in the later day?

Which is better, 4-5 bpm, or 5-6 bpm?

Thanks...

Old 03-24-2005, 08:14 AM   #7
(female)

anneh HB Useranneh HB User

The more you slow your breathing down the better. Seems to come easy in the am but later in day 5-6bmp is more comforatble, you are not supposed to be uncomfortable and have to be taking deep breaths or anything, you just follow the musical tone on the Resperate and it slows your breathing. 5-6bmp is great
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids
Why can't you get 4-5 breaths per minute in the later day?

Which is better, 4-5 bpm, or 5-6 bpm?

Thanks...

Old 03-24-2005, 08:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneh
The more you slow your breathing down the better. Seems to come easy in the am but later in day 5-6bmp is more comforatble, you are not supposed to be uncomfortable and have to be taking deep breaths or anything, you just follow the musical tone on the Resperate and it slows your breathing. 5-6bmp is great
Thanks for the feedback.

When I first had problems with tachycardia, I used to lie on my back, and then take deep breaths, and then slowly let them fully and gently out. After a few minutes, the tachycardia would stop.

This Resperate type of breathing reminds me of that. I am setting aside 15 minutes per day, for slow breathing, with full resperation. If anything, it is very relaxing.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions!

Old 03-24-2005, 03:15 PM   #9
(female)

I also have problems with tachycardia etc and find it helps to do the breathing, plus if my heart is really acting up I cough a few time and that seems to set it right. I have Mitral Valve prolapse and an inability to handle stress but the problem got better once I learned a few tricks
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids
Thanks for the feedback.

When I first had problems with tachycardia, I used to lie on my back, and then take deep breaths, and then slowly let them fully and gently out. After a few minutes, the tachycardia would stop.

This Resperate type of breathing reminds me of that. I am setting aside 15 minutes per day, for slow breathing, with full resperation. If anything, it is very relaxing.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions!

Old 03-24-2005, 04:13 PM   #10
(female)

strong_one HB User

Oh sorry I haven't given ya'll updates on my resperate. It seems to be working only to help me during stressful times. My BP spikes and so far it helps with those spikes. I'll give you more info as I go.

Old 03-25-2005, 06:51 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

OK, I'm in too.

Though I'm not going to spend more than a $1 , I'll figure out some way to time my breathing to 6 BPM.
I'll start with doing it every time I watch STARGATE...so that' s at LEAST an hour a day!

Is 6 BPM a good number to start with? Is it best to do the IN...HOLD...OUT kind of Yoga thing, or just the IN...OUT?

Old 05-09-2005, 08:54 AM   #12
(male)

bopeltzman HB User
Smile Re: I got my Resperate In!!!

Too answer the last post: If you use the Resp-e-Rate machine, you will be inhaling fairly quickly and exhaling slowly. So, if you want to mimic the machine, try that.
As for me, I think it's the best $265 (eBay) I ever spent. I'm 62, and have had high blood pressure for the last 35 yrs. I have had to use 3 BP meds to keep it between 140 and 130 (systolic). While that's not bad, I figure if it's that high when I'm relaxed and taking my BP, it's got to be higher when I'm at my high stress job.
I decided to give it (resp-e-rate) a try some months ago. The guy that sold it to me said he would refund my money if I wasn't happy with it. The company said it can take 8 weeks before you see any results. I would say that, in my case, it took 3 to 4 months but it really works! My systolic is now in the range of 100 to 120 now (actually 96 this AM). I've never had readings like that my whole life! To be fair, I did start CoEnzyme Q-10 a couple of months ago also (since I'm taking Lipitor and that can lower your Q-10 levels) but I've never read that Q-10 lowered BP that much by itself so I'm leaning toward the machine.
As far as time spent on the machine: I do it for 15 minutes twice a day. I read that that was the time used in one of the studies that showed good results.
Maybe I can get off, or reduce my dose, of some of those BP meds. That would be nice!
Bob

Old 05-09-2005, 07:04 PM   #13
(female)

Great news, glad to hear of your success. I also have the REsperate and also battling white coat hypertension and even a lot of anxiety when I take it at home. However I am now going to take my bp every day for a week and then once a week thereafter in the hopes of getting rid of the phobia, at least at home. I am not sure if its the machine but now getting better readings at home (first time always around 140/80 but subsequent attempts around 130/70 so I am happy enough with that, used to be higher systolic). I now refuse to allow Dr office to take it, I tell them its bad for my health to have my bp go skyhigh so I take in my latest reading for them. I will try and use my machine twice a day also, do you find that your mind wanders while using it are you able to focus on it. I do find my mind wanders but I seem to keep breathing correctly and usually end up around 5-6 bpm
anneh

As far as time spent on the machine: I do it for 15 minutes twice a day. I read that that was the time used in one of the studies that showed good results.
Maybe I can get off, or reduce my dose, of some of those BP meds. That would be nice!
Bob[/QUOTE]

Old 05-10-2005, 07:25 PM   #14
(male)

bopeltzman HB User

Anneh,
Sorry to hear about your "white coat syndrome"; I guess it's fairly common. You might have the best way to beat it, though, by taking your pressure every day; maybe even two or three times a day. After a while, it will probably get so "second nature" that you will be totally calm as you are doing it.
As far as the "mind wandering" problem goes, I think it's not so bad. As long as your are keeping in the 5 to 6 bpm area. If I really concentrate, I can get it in the 3.2 to 3.8 bpm area but not sure if there is any advantage to that. You get "credit" on the machine for anything under 10 bpm so I'm sure 5 to 6 is perfectly OK.
If you are doing it for relaxation, maybe it's better to keep your mind clear by concentrating on something like a candle or (like the meditators do) the area about 1 inch behind the bridge of your nose (pineal gland).
Since I do it mostly for BP lowering, I just read or do crossword puzzles and end up around 4.5 to 5.5 bpm.
Bob
PS Check out the L.A. Times, ([url]www.latimes.com[/url]) Monday, Health section. Nice article on Transendental Meditation.

Closed Thread