It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2004, 01:18 PM   #1
(female)

cheryl1121 HB User
HBP at home, Normal at drs.

I have tracked my pressure for a week now after dr. put me on toprol-xl. My pressure runs very high at home but both times at the drs. it seems to be close to normal. When I get up in the mornings it usually has been around 150/100 and stays around 140/95 or so the rest of the day. But both times at the drs. it has been around 135/88 or so. I have always had low pressure for the past year until lately Have herniated disk with compression in neck and lower back and for past few weeks my right arm has been very painful from shoulder to fingers. Had carpel tunnel surgery both hands a year ago and now they think I may have RSD in upper extremities. Anyway my pressure in right arm runs very high, usually 30 pts or so higher than the left arm. right now show 180/115. dr. put me on 50mg of toprol tday. sending me to cardiolgist. does anyone know if disk compression in neck could cause pressure to rise. everything is so weird.

Old 11-17-2004, 04:07 PM   #2

naes HB User
Re: HBP at home, Normal at drs.

Here is a quote from this site http://www.reutershealth.com/wellconnected/doc14.html
Quote:
White coat normotension (also called isolated home hypertension). This is a condition in which a person's blood pressure registers as normal at the doctor's office, even though it is actually somewhat elevated. It tends to occur in men, especially those who are past smokers, older, or alcohol users. One study suggested that it still posed a risk for heart problems that was similar to uncontrolled hypertension.
Maybe you have that? Could be that your BP monitor is faulty too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2004, 05:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: HBP at home, Normal at drs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl1121
My pressure runs very high at home but both times at the drs. it seems to be close to normal. When I get up in the mornings it usually has been around 150/100 and stays around 140/95 or so the rest of the day. But both times at the drs. it has been around 135/88 or so.
I've had the same problem over the past seven years. I have advanced heart disease along with my high blood pressure, but every time I go to the cardiologist (which is many times per year) my blood pressure is always MUCH lower than at home.

I've found out that many things that I eat, and many things that touch my skin, and many things that I breath in, will add to my blood pressure problems. I assumed that my blood pressure was higher at home because there were irritants at home that were not present in the doctor's office.

I've made MANY changes to my home environment, my lifestyle, what I wear, what and when I eat, how and when I take my heart meds, etc., and finally I've been able to reduce my blood pressure at home also. It took me several years, and about 14,000 blood pressure readings, but it was worth the effort.

Do you think that there may be irritants in your home environment that could be adding to your blood pressure problems?

Last edited by Machaon; 11-17-2004 at 05:47 PM.

Closed Thread