It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2004, 05:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User
Diovan or Not

I recently started with a new cardiologist. I had trouble finding his office for the first time and once I did find it the front desk people were so frustrating to deal with I became completely agitated. Then, I had to deal with one of the most abrupt nurses I have ever had the misfortune to come across. She took my blood pressure, 150/90, after all I had been through I expected much higher. After that ordeal I met the MD, he did not do another BP check, he just told me I have high blood pressure. He prescribed Diovan 80mg.
BTW, I will be replacing this MD in the next six months mainly because of his rude office staff.
My question: I check my BP at home with one of Omronís best and I usually get a reading about 140/80, sometimes I will get a 150/85, or a 125/85. I am 61 years old and from what I have read 140/80 is a normal BP reading for a person my age. I am questioning whether I should start the Diovan therapy or not.
Comments appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-18-2004, 08:22 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User
Re: Diovan or Not

The office number of 150/90 is indeed high. And, your home numbers, while a little better are probably still worth treating if you can control it without any side-effects. Fortunately, you were given one of the best drugs on the planet as far as side-effects are concerned. So, it's probably worth giving it a try.

Pal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2004, 06:26 AM   #3
Inactive

Random2 HB User

The office number of 150/90 is indeed high

I think that a lot of people have elevated readings at a doctors office. It is not an ideal setting by any means to have your B/P taken. It is the highest for me at the docs. office, in comparison to anywhere else. I don't think that meds. should be prescribed based upon a visit to the doctor. For some people, like myself I am more nervous at the doctor than anywhere else. It isn't a good place to have my B/P taken. It isn't an accurate measurement like the 116/66 that I have averaged for months. Mine is usually 160/90 at the doctor, but it will come down almost 40 points on the systolic side & 15 points on the diastolic side about 30 minutes after I leave the doctor. It has happened for 21 months now. Today it was 113/69, yesterday it was 113/68. The day before it was 115/65 later in the day. At the doc. it was 156/86 last week. Meds. should only be given to those who have elevated B/P throughout the day. The side-effects aren't worth it. I'd rather have slightly elevated B/P of 134-140/72-76 like I did a few years ago then perfect B/P with lousy side-effects. You are lucky that your doc. prescribed an ARB. You won't have to go through as much he** as I have.

Old 11-19-2004, 07:05 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User

I was prescribed Diovan 160mg once a day last January. Before I started my readings were always high at the doctors office (142/92 and sometimes higher) and at home were in the normal or high normal range. Now my average readings are 115/75. I have no side effects from the Diovan also which is good. I was first put on lisinopril and the side effects were awful.. I have read that Diovan is one of the better medications. It has worked out for me..

Old 11-19-2004, 07:18 AM   #5
Inactive

Random2 HB User

I requested Diovan from the 1st & 2nd docs. that I had over the last 21 months. They both said that Lotrel could do the same thing & didn't prescribe it. It makes no sense to me. After dealing with a variety of side-effects from different meds. over that time I have just gotten fed up. I'm 34, 5' 11" 150 or so. When I started on the meds. I was drinking too much & had unhealthy habits. Now I don't. Once again, high readings at the doctors office are not uncommon. It is white-coat. You pay a certain amount (stress). Wait another 30 minutes or so (stress), they weigh you & bring you in a room like a dog going to the vet. They also take your B/P right when you go into the room & allow no relaxation time, so of course it will be elevated. You wait another 20-30 minutes to see the doctor (anxiety over waiting). The GP comes in & asks why are you here. My reply, "you asked me to for a 4 month check up on my blood pressure. Well it's 156/86. The doc. says that I might have white-coat & says to come back in 4 months for a check-up. This is after all the blood tests, CBC, Metabolic Panel, EKG, Thyroid Check & Chest Xray. He asked me why they put me on meds. in the 1st place. I said that when I was 22, I was anxious at the cardiologist. The cardiologist called me a schmuck for smoking & said that I should live until my 90's if I take care of myself. He also recommended a beta-blocker, because I was born with 2 valves instead of 3 in one portion of my heart. He said it won't effect me. I'm 34 now & I have a fear of docs., because of what happened when I was 22 with this doc. insulting me & getting collection notices when I was told that insurance covered it. No wonder I didn't go to a doc. for another 10 years. All of my tests were perfect 6 months ago. I don't see the point in having them done every year at 34. After 40+, I can understand it. Every 2 years should be sufficient. I just have a fear of doctors & don't trust there motives.

Old 11-19-2004, 08:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I agree with GeorgeP and Palamedes, try the Diovan. If you don't have side effects and it lowers your bp some, then it is a good thing. You can also discuss it with your new doctor when you get an appointment.

I tried Diovan and while I didn't get side effects, it didn't lower my bp either. I'm currently getting pretty good results with Tiazac (calcium channel blocker) and clonidine.

Old 11-19-2004, 11:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Donsabi,

I also agree with GeorgeP, Palamedes and Mgraylorn..give the Diovan a shot. Your home #s, while not alarming, should come down a little more.

I read somewhere that you were once on Atenolol..what happened with that? Have you been off BP meds completely for a while?

Also given your history (I just did a search) you've had a prior MI and have CAD, so the more you lower your BP overall, the better.

I am presently on Diovan 160mg (just about two years now). Atenolol, Toprol, Altace and thiazide diuretics all controlled my BP but trashed me with side effects.

With Diovan, I have great BP control and ZERO side-effects.

zuzu xx

Old 11-19-2004, 04:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User

Thanks to all!
zuzu8 - You are correct on my history, 61, prior MI, 14 years past, CAD, I still take Tenormin 25mg and aspirin 81mg.
I will try the Diovan and post the results.
Thanks again.

Closed Thread