It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2004, 12:00 PM   #1
(female)

waheshny HB User
My Top Prority is to LOSE WEIGHT

Dear All;
I have been diagnosed with hypertension 50 days ago when my BP was 210/120. I am taking 4 different types of anti-hypertensive drugs to keep my BP around 130/80. I am 44 years old. My height is 165 cm (5.4" inch) I weigh 200 pounds and my ideal weight should be 130 pounds. I need to lose 70 pounds badly so I can stay safe from any cardiovascular diseases.
I am looking for a very effective weight loss pills or programs.
Please let me know if you have experienced or know about effective weight loss pills or herbs or anything like that
Thank you in advance for your assistance

Old 11-21-2004, 12:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
Re: My Top Prority is to LOSE WEIGHT

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but what it sounds to me like is that in asking about diet pills, you are asking for an easy way out. IMHO, even though you may not like it, the first thing you need to do is face the fact that there is not going to be an easy way. You need to change your diet and/or exercise habits, probably both. You CAN do it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2004, 12:25 PM   #3
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Since being on B/P meds. my weight has dropped about 10 pounds in a year. I just don't feel as hungry. I feel that being over-medicated has done this to me. Lose the weight. It's really not that hard.

Old 11-21-2004, 12:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Gee Axe, it seems to me that losing weight must be very hard for many people, or we wouldn't have a nation of people struggling with obesity.

I've heard amazing things about Phil McGraw's book: "The Ultimate Weight Solution: 7 Keys to Weight Loss Freedom".

60 lbs is a tough row to hoe and quickie fixes with fad diets and with diet supplements, while working in the short run, always ultimately fail unless you address the psychological issues that accompany being overweight. Apparently this book not only helps you moderate what you eat but how you think about food which is the key to successful long-term (keeping it off) weight loss. Check it out on Amazon and read the editorial and customer reviews. Maybe it's a book with a program that might interest you.

zuzu xx

Last edited by zuzu8; 11-21-2004 at 06:55 PM.

Old 11-21-2004, 01:42 PM   #5
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

Stay away from diet pills. First, be sure and cut out all the junk food you can. Start with the sugar (cakes, cookies, soda). Drink only water and be sure and exercise 15-30 minutes a day or more if possible. Those things alone have helped me drop 30 pounds.

Old 11-21-2004, 01:55 PM   #6
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Gee Axe, it seems to me that losing weight must be very hard for many people, or we wouldn't have a nation of people struggling with obesity.

I agree with Frontier. Eat less calories, stay away from sweets & sugar & excercise. Stay away from alcohol. Stick to these rules & you can lose weight in a hurry by not even trying that hard. Forget about these crazy diets, just eat less, drink water, stay away from sweets & alcohol & excercise. I lose weight not even trying.

Old 11-21-2004, 02:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierDriver2
Stay away from diet pills. First, be sure and cut out all the junk food you can. Start with the sugar (cakes, cookies, soda). Drink only water and be sure and exercise 15-30 minutes a day or more if possible. Those things alone have helped me drop 30 pounds.
Yeah, that!

In addition, it might be helpful to remember that it takes approximately 20 minutes for a message to get from the stomach to the brain that one has had enough to eat, even when you have. So do whatever is necessary to slow down your eating during meals. Eating more raw vegetables and fruit, which requires more chewing, for example, can help. Or have a quiet, candlelight dinner with your spouse/family/friend where the emphasis is on good conversation and relaxation, rather than the hurry-up-I've-got-to-leave meals we sometimes have.

Also, drink plenty of water between meals. It can take the edge off the craving for more food.

Don't attempt to take the weight off quickly. One to two pounds a week with honest change of eating habits is far better than trying a crash diet to get it off quickly. You didn't gain those extra 70 pounds in just a few months; don't expect to get them off in that time. Gradual is better.

Old 11-21-2004, 03:48 PM   #8
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

Another thing, i've found the chewing gum makes me less hungry. It has really helped curb cravings when I know I've had enough to eat.

Also, fast food is bad bad! The only exception may be something like a grilled chicken sandwich without mayo. You can still eat out at a restaurant, just avoid fried foods and foods with alot of saturated fat (cheese, milk, eggs, salad dressing). Not only do those foods have alot of fat, they also raise cholesterol levels very quickly!

I have had alot of family dinners lately. Luckily i've been able to hold my weight steady just by not eating so much. I try to quit when i'm full

Old 11-21-2004, 04:18 PM   #9
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I had over 70 lbs to lose two yrs ago. Bcuz of thyroid problems and different meds i ballooned up to 250 lbs and im 5'4". I really got serious about ALL my diseases and started a walking program. Then i started working with a dietician (im diabetic) and worked on portion control and what foods worked best for me.

I like the high fiber low fat diet bcuz it keeps me full longer. Sometimes i have to force myself to eat lunch bcuz my breakfast was high in fiber. I've now 180 and still losing weight. I have gotten down to 160 but regained some of the weight due to stress over my bp problems.

There are no quick fixes as others have stated ..only hard and continuous work. Good luck.

Old 11-22-2004, 06:26 AM   #10
Inactive

Random2 HB User

I'm 148-151 at 5' 11". I'm also 34. I don't eat that many calories at all & stay away from sweets, alcohol, sugar of any kind & I eat small portions. I need to be thin, because I'm the singer-songwriter of a band. It really isn't that diffucult. I guess my only bad vice is smoking & that helps with the weight loss as well. Wouldn't recommend that to anyone. For me, losing weight isn't tough at all. I was 138 when I was 22. I was 170, married & miserable at 28. Divorced with a great 23 year old g/f who is 5' 9" 115 at 34. I guess since she is thin, then I just follow her habits. I don't want to get too low, but we eat small portions & very low fat content. We also do not eat sweets, drink soda with sugar or drink more than a couple of beers a week (on the weekend). Cutting down from 6 beers a night to none during the week made the biggest difference for me.

Old 11-22-2004, 08:58 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Like everyone has said, there is no quick fix. And, guick fixes are bad for you. Yo-yo dieting can cause heart problems. Starvation diets cause your body to go into survival mode and you actually metabolize food slower, making it harder to keep pounds off once you eat normal meals again.

Everyone would like to drop 10 pounds in a week, but that ain't going to happen! A one to two pound loss per week is the healthiest way to loose weight and gives you the highest chances of keeping it off.

A lot of people have success with Weight Watchers, which provides encouragement and teaches proper nutrition and portion size.

If you want to try to loose weight on your own, start by exercising. A good exercise is brisk walking. Try to do at least 30 minutes most days of the week. If you can't do 30 minutes, start gradually - do 20 minutes, or even 10 minutes, and work up to 30 minutes.

Also try eating more fresh fruits and veggies and less fats and carbohydrates. I like eating veggies because you can eat a big portion of them and not consume many calories (provided you don't cover them with butter or dips or dressings). They are filling and provide a lot of fiber. Cut back to smaller portions of breads, potatoes, rice, etc. And try not to load them up with fats like butter or sauces. Also change from white bread to multigrain or whole wheat breads. These provide more fiber and are better for you.

I think it is also important that you don't deny yourself an occasional sweet or fattening reward. You don't want to feel deprived, or you won't stick with the diet. It's OK to have a cookie - one or two, not the whole box! Have a spoon full or 2 of ice cream - don't eat the whole pint. You get the idea. Make it a special treat, not a major portion of your diet.

Last edited by mgraylorn; 11-22-2004 at 09:01 AM.

Old 11-22-2004, 09:53 AM   #12
Inactive

Random2 HB User

I would love to gain a few pounds. Ever since I have been on the beat-blockers, I have lost some of my appetite. I have gone from 157 or so to 148 over a year. I have also cut out alcohol & eat smaller meals, so that can play a role. Losing weight isn't that diffucult. My metabolism has sped up a lot as well. when I quit drinking during the week.

Old 11-22-2004, 12:53 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

One more comment, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe most "diet drugs" prescription, over the counter and herbal remedies, will likely increase your blood pressure. Not something you need if you are taking 4 different bp medicines already.

Old 11-22-2004, 01:07 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

So right. All diet pills do raise BP and most have warnings against taking them if you have hypertension.
Another interesting note, just a 10% reduction of body fat yelds remarkable results in bp.
Cass

Last edited by CASSIEBEL; 11-22-2004 at 01:09 PM.

Old 11-23-2004, 03:42 PM   #15
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I wish that was so for me. I've lost over 70 lbs and still my bp is high, about 150/70ish.

Closed Thread