It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2004, 06:10 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

tooanxious HB User
Confused

I keep getting wierd readings at times and Im hoping you guys can help interpret them. At the store and doctor I get around 135/85. However sometimes it spikes and I get like 143/93. At home Im always around 122/76. Sometimes 117/73. It seems like my anxiety takes over and is the culpret at the market and doctor. For example today I went to the market and got 144/95, then I waited two minutes went back and got 132/85. After that I went home and got 124/76. Its really confusing. Should I just trust the home reader and not worry about the high readings I get at times in the store and doctor? If I just use the home reader I wouldnt have any problems. Also Im 22 and have anxiety issues at times. Any help on this would be great.

Last edited by tooanxious; 11-21-2004 at 06:14 PM.

Old 11-21-2004, 08:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Confused

Tooanxious,

Trust the readings you get at home.

Anxiety plays a big factor in the doctor's office ('white coat syndrome') and store readings, while you are out and about shopping, rushed, distracted by people, noise etc will usually give you higher readings. PLUS the store monitors are not always kept up to snuff and may often be inaccurate.

BP is supposed to fluctuate, so don't worry about the ocassional spike.
Sustained elevated readings at rest in a relaxed environment is when you can start to be concerned. Emphasis on the word SUSTAINED.

Even your spikes are nothing to be concerned about. Your overall readings are FINE.

zuzu xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2004, 09:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

tooanxious HB User

Thanks a lot zuzu for those comments. It helps to have some one else look at your readings. I think I need to stop obessing over my readings and just stick to the home moniter. Actually I need to take it a lot less in general. Like once a week. Actually the only reason I have a home moniter is becuase my grandpa lives here with me and so I use his at times. Well I got 122/76 a minute ago. No more readings for while!

Old 11-21-2004, 09:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Have you verified the accuracy of your home monitor with one at the doctor's office? As long as you're sure your monitor is accurate, I agree with zuzu8.

Old 11-21-2004, 09:49 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

tooanxious HB User

It is a good reader. My grandpa used it and had it verified. He actually has high BP and he gets high sustained readings at rest with it.

The crapy thing is all that I get is 135/85 at the doc becuase im nervous and so he wont totally back me up that my BP is ok. However I know that the doctors office is a really stressful place for me becuase of all the tests ive done there before and everytime Im there its becuase I feel sick! I still would like to work on lowering it below 122/75. I think stress reduction and diet is the right path for that.

Last edited by tooanxious; 11-21-2004 at 10:02 PM.

Old 11-22-2004, 07:04 AM   #6
Inactive

Random2 HB User

I don't have a home B/P monitor, because it would drive me up the wall. I would become too obsessed. By taking it at 3 different pharmacies & getting the same readings, I think that there is some accuracy. I am only going to take it when I need to get a script filled from now on.

Old 11-22-2004, 07:43 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooanxious, I'd recommend that you start keeping a written record of your home readings. You can make a computer table with four headings: date, time, BP reading, and notes. Under notes keep track of any special things that you think might have influenced your reading. "Not feeling well today." "Just had an argument with someone." "15 minutes after large dinner." These would be helpful comments. After a number of these, you will begin to get a picture of what influences your blood pressure readings. If stress is a big factor, it will begin to show up in the readings. Take the record with you to the doctor next time.

It was on the basis of a record like that that my own doctor first prescribed a blood pressure medication for me, then tripled the medication a few months later, and finally four years later reduced it back down after my major cause of stress was removed. Many readings are better than just one or two readings.

Old 11-22-2004, 09:48 AM   #8
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Agreed & it can show if your B/P is more due to stress, white-coat or true HBP. I did the same thing as you, but my doc. was so wishy-washy when it came to weaning "You can try weaning, but I don't know, you can try, take measurements". It wasn't a clear message.

Old 11-22-2004, 12:09 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

tooanxious HB User

Do you guys think taking half a beta blocker like torpol 25mg (12.5 mg dose) would be a bad thing for this. I heard that beta blockers stop adrenaline and that seems to be my problem. My GP thinks I should but he didnt force me to. Im only 22 so I dont want to be taking meds the rest of my life. I heard some where that if you get three confirmed high readings then you have high BP. Also I heard that you need to average out your readings. Damn this stuff gets so confusing to me. I know you guys have a lot more knowledge on this then I do.

I will start to keep more accurate records. I will note that at the store I have been runnning around shopping and thats prolly why my BP is raised a bit.

Last edited by tooanxious; 11-22-2004 at 12:14 PM.

Old 11-22-2004, 12:19 PM   #10
Inactive

Random2 HB User

1st off, relax. Don't take it while you have been running around a store shopping. If the B/P machine is open, when you 1st go in, take it 3 times. Average the 2nd & the 3rd readings. Take your B/P 5 minutes apart each time. Keep a log of this for 3 months. Take your B/P a couple of times a week. The next time you go to the doc., go in with a log of your readings. You can't tell HBP by 3 readings. It is based upon several readings at different parts of the day over at least a few months.

Old 11-22-2004, 12:51 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

You have a home blood pressure machine which you say has been verified with one at the doctor's office. I'd rely on that and not worry about taking your pressure at the store.

Like Axe said, just relax. I'd frankly be very surprised if you really needed blood pressure meds at all at this point. Your overall readings look fine. If you receive similar readings and record them for the doctor, I'd be very surprised if he suggested that you take meds.

Work on finding ways to get your anxiety under control, perhaps through exercise, meditation, etc. If you can solve the problems without medications, it would be far better than starting with meds at your young age. Try to think of meds as more of a last resort than a first solution. I know, sometimes doctors think that they have to pull out a prescription pad for everything, but it is your body. You are the one in control.

Old 11-22-2004, 01:29 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

tooanxious HB User

Cool thanks a lot Lillian and uff-da. I was sticking to the no medication route myself but thought I would mention the beta blocker the doctor recommended. At my age I think a lifestyle change is in order. I have been walking, watching my diet lately, and doing progressive muscle relaxation. I relize it might take weeks or months to see real results. Also I am going to keep that BP log like you guys suggested. One reading at 10AM and one at 7PM. See what happens over the next couple months. I feel like I have the strength to make a change.

Closed Thread