It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2004, 07:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User
Question Diovan Results

I started Diovan 80mg four days ago. Previously my BP was averaging around 140/80. On the second day of the Diovan therapy my BP was 125/75 but I was tired and just too mellow. On the third day my BP was 110/60 and I everything felt like a effort to do. I had a nurse double check my BP and confirm the 110/60 reading. My pulse also dropped from around 68 to 58-62. I have not been able to contact my MD and with the Holidays I donít expect to hear from him. I have to decided to stop the Diovan until I find out what is going on. I also take Tenormin 25mg. I think that a smaller dose may work better for me but I donít think I can split the pills. I will ask for the 40mg when I hear from my MD.
Comments appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-23-2004, 11:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Diovan Results

Donsabi,

It's really odd that your pulse rate has dropped.. In clinical trials, a valsartan-atenolol combination is more antihypertensive together than either component alone, but it is not known to lower the heart rate more than atenolol alone..

You mentioned you have thyroid issues, and am just wondering if, for some reason, Diovan PLUS Synthroid have some kind of synergistic effect on heart rate.

The effect on your BP is great but the fatigue of course isn't.

Co-incidence? Temporary? Dose too much? Hard to know..but yes, stop for now, wait until you talk to your doctor...I'm sure he'll say try the 40mg. As far as I know 40 is a NEW pill. 80mg used to be the lowest dosage available in one pill (I think).

Are you on Diovan BRAND or generic valsartan? The 40mg BRAND is a round tablet and a good pill splitter might work just fine!

zuzu xxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2004, 08:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

That doesn't seem like much of a pulse rate drop. For instance on a calcium channel blocker and clonidine I have gone from pre med pulse in the low to mid 80s to rates in the mid 60s and below - sometimes into the low 50s. Except right at first when I was adjusting to the clonidine, the lowered heartrate has not affected my energy levels.

Old 11-24-2004, 09:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Donsabi,
I had found that webpage too, after finding others that only mentioned 80mg tabs. So again, my guess, is that a 40mg tab is pretty new.

Anyway, I agree with Mgraylorn that the heartrate isn't anything to be too concerned about, but the fact that you feel so lethargic and fatigued probably means you need to reduce the dosage.

How long were you on the increased synthroid before starting the Diovan? Just wondering if the malaise could be synthroid related and lil' ol' Diovan isn't the bad guy here.

Let us know what happens next.

zuzu xx

Last edited by zuzu8; 11-24-2004 at 09:17 AM.

Old 11-24-2004, 02:18 PM   #5
(female)

Sandra49 HB User

That also happened to me taking Diovan, although it controlled my Bp wonderfully. I did not want to switch, so I tried to stay on it, but soon I could barely walk a normal pace. After trying Lotrel, I am now on Norvasc, and have been happy ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi
I started Diovan 80mg four days ago. Previously my BP was averaging around 140/80. On the second day of the Diovan therapy my BP was 125/75 but I was tired and just too mellow. On the third day my BP was 110/60 and I everything felt like a effort to do. I had a nurse double check my BP and confirm the 110/60 reading. My pulse also dropped from around 68 to 58-62. I have not been able to contact my MD and with the Holidays I donít expect to hear from him. I have to decided to stop the Diovan until I find out what is going on. I also take Tenormin 25mg. I think that a smaller dose may work better for me but I donít think I can split the pills. I will ask for the 40mg when I hear from my MD.
Comments appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Sandra49; 11-24-2004 at 02:20 PM.

Old 11-24-2004, 07:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

zuzu8,
I only was on the increased Synthroid dose for three days prior to trying the Diovan. I had been on Synthroid 88mcg for over a year and the increase was to 100mcg. I am hypo and I would think that any increase in Synthroid would result in mild hyper symptoms. But slowed heart rate is not a hyper symptom. It is possible that it may be a combination problem.
I am still waiting to hear from my MD.

Sandra,
Thanks for your reply.
Medications that work wonders for others seem to cause problems for me.
It helps to know I am not the only one.

Old 12-09-2004, 06:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

zuzu8,
Your suspicions turned out to be correct. The increased Synthroid was a little too much. I returned to the prior 88mcg. I finally heard from my cardiologist. He told me that it takes a few weeks to adjust to Diovan and the reduced heart rate indicated that the heart was not working as hard as before the med. I have also just started Vytorin.

Old 12-10-2004, 02:38 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Donsabi,

Hope you feel better backing off the Synthroid a little.
Keep us posted!

zuzu xx

Closed Thread