It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2004, 03:36 AM   #1
(female)

bindsanator HB User
Low Blood Pressure - Vision Problems

Hi all,

I am posting because I have found my doctor to be completely unsupportive and I need some outside advice.

I won't go through the long (over one year) history of this problem, but basically it has boiled down to this: my vision goes blurry when i walk/run/do any sort of physical activity, every time. Everything goes whitish and "like looking through frosted glass" and it only goes away again after i sit down for 5 - 10 minutes.

It also affects my balance when my vision is blurry. I am very unsure of my footing and feel a bit unstable. it is not vertigo.

I am also very concerned about my personal safety as i cannot see cars coming sometimes or suspicious people lurking around. It is not safe. I also lost 1/2 my hearing in my left ear a while back, which is not so bad in itself but coupled with the episodes of blindness makes me VERY vulnerable.

It is very emotionally taxing and scary and all my doctor wants to do is put me on antidepressants, which i wont do b/c i'm not clinically depressed, as soon as my vision clears for good i wont have problems like this.

At first i thought it was my eyes, then my brain, multiple sclerosis, brain tumour etc. I have had full blood tests, seen the gp, 3 optometrists, the ophthamologist, the neuro opthamologist...no one can find anything wrong with me, let alone my eyes (i only wear glasses for reading/computer).

In desperation, i went to the acupuncturist/chinese medicine doctor and she told me, after feeling my pulse, that it was weak and my blood wasnt pumping fast enough.

I tell this to my mom and she says that my father had a problem with low blood pressure (dizziness upon standing up and stressful situations), and it runs in his mother's side of the family. She has prescribed for me a course of acupuncture and herbal medicines which if they work, great, if not, well...It is very expensive and (of course) not covered by insurance, and i don't have a lot of money.

I have been looking around for info on low blood pressure and I see sometimes it does affect vision/balance. I told my doctor about my theory, he took my blood pressure and said that yes, it was lower than normal, but this was also about 1 hour after waking which is when my vision is fine.

has anyone heard of this before and, if so, WHAT DO YOU DO? My doctor says "they don't treat low blood pressure anymore in Europe" so basically told me to "live with it."

please, any advice would be great. thank you.

I am getting to the end of my tether. I just want to enjoy my life again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2004, 12:29 PM   #2
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User
Re: Low Blood Pressure - Vision Problems

I have the same thing with my eyes with my bp is very very high. I walk daily and sometimes (if pressure high) it looks as though im seeing thru frosted glasses. But of course my gp said it was my diabetes. My cardio says its my bp that causes this. She gave me the name of this symptom but i forgot. I really don't care i just want it stopped.

Old 11-25-2004, 06:23 AM   #3
(female)

bindsanator HB User

If you could think of the name of that symptom that would be very helpful. i've been through about a million descriptions, but nothing really matches.

thanks.

Old 11-25-2004, 06:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Postural Hypotension (or orthostatic hypotension) might be the term you're looking for to decribe dizziness from low blood pressure.

The problem with High Blood pressure and vision difficulty has to do with very small arteriole bleeds into the retina. The latter is the more serious problem.

Last edited by Lenin; 11-25-2004 at 06:46 AM.

Old 11-25-2004, 03:22 PM   #5
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Thank U Lenin. I know vision problems & hbp is a very big problem. Im working with my cardio and my opthomologist(sp?)

Happy Holidays!

Closed Thread