It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2004, 10:02 AM   #1

kfz45 HB User
Atenolol, Maxide and Norvasc

Hi All,

I recently started seeing a new doctor. I was taking 25 mg atenolol (50 cut in half) but was still uncontrolled (167/109, 148/98 in office) so she added maxide and 10mg norvasc.
I have not started the norvasc yet because I am a bit afraid. I am wondering is it usual to give a beta blocker and calcium channel blocker for bp? Don't they have two different and opposite methods of operation? Would appreciate any help in this area.

Old 11-26-2004, 07:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Atenolol, Maxide and Norvasc

KFZ,

Are you saying that the new doctor added Maxide AND Norvasc simultaneously to your Atenolol regimen? ( The starting dosage of Norvasc is usually 5 mg......She gave you 10 mg to START?)

Seems like major overkill to me.

It would seem logical to have you continue the Atenolol and see how the addition of Maxide works first, before adding a 3rd medication.

Whose payroll is SHE on???

To answer your question about whether it's okay to take a beta blocker and a CCB, the answer is yes, some people do.

But in my opinion CCB's are overpriced, cause enormous side effects including edema (which I know you complained about somewhere in another post) and they are really best designed for folks with angina.

Why not just take the atenolol and Maxide, monitor yourself for a week or so and see what your #s show.

I would even call the doctor and tell her that this is what you would feel most comfortable doing right now... If she's any good, she'll understand and agree, as long as you can home monitor.

No point in starting off a new doctor/patient relationship with a lie of omission!

zuzu xxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2004, 11:40 PM   #3

kfz45 HB User

Hi Zuzu,

Thank you for your reply. I also wondered about starting me off at 10mg of Norvasc. I have a limited bit of knowledge from working for a physician for 7 years in a previous life and I know you should always start a patient off with the least amount of medication necessary to alleviate the problem.
I always ask for the package insert from the drug company (when getting a new med) and read that the studies they listed in the Norvasc insert always used 10mg as the upper level dosage.
Anyway, my plan was just as you suggested; to see how the Maxide affects the numbers.
Unfortunately, Thanksgiving has really done me in and I have to get back on track as far as the other changes I was implementing to complement the meds.
I'll keep you posted as to how I am doing.

Old 11-27-2004, 09:24 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

Hi AFZ,

I had difficult to control BP and it was not until I was given four types of medications that it was brought under control. I am now taking a beta blocker, diuretic, ace inhibitor and a calcium channel blocker along with an ecotrin daily. Each medication was added individually until the desired BP numbers were reached. I wish you luck in finding the right combination for you.

Old 11-29-2004, 10:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Unlike Zuzu8, calcium channel blockers are about the only medication that works for me and I have pretty much tried them all. The other classes either didn't work or gave me unacceptable side effects. I am taking tiazac and have no side effects. My other drug is clonidine.

When I was recently diagnosed with hypertension I had some numbers that were higher than my doctor liked and she started me with mid range doses. In retrospect I don't think this was a good idea because I am very medication sensitive, but I understand her thinking that she wanted to bring the numbers down faster than starting on the lowest dose. I think doctors get that mindset.

As others suggested, try it with just your Atenolol and the new Maxide and see what happens. If that doesn't give you the control you need, add in the Norvasc. Or you might try the Atenolol and Norvasc without the Maxide. There is no reason to take a drug that doesn't work for you.

Aside from not wanting to overmedicate there is another reason to add the drugs separately. If you should develop unacceptable side effects, you won't know which drug caused them if you add two at once.

Old 11-29-2004, 11:12 AM   #6
Inactive

Random2 HB User

I take Atenolol at 100 MGS & I hate the way that the drug makes me feel with the side-effects. It's terrible imo. I am going to wean off of it. I switched from Toprol to Atenolol, because of the side-effects. Beta-blockers don't agree with me. Don't know why they always prescibe them 1st. The side-effects are terrible & my pulse rate was only 80 at the time. Atenolol was created to make life miserable. I'm convinced.

Closed Thread