It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2004, 01:46 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

stormy78 HB User
Afraid to work

I'm sort of afraid to try getting a fast food job or any type of job for that matter. The last job I had pretty much started my high blood pressure problems (not to mention low carb dieting) and I'm afraid if I get a job doing the same thing or anything else my blood pressure will skyrocket again. Right now, I'm on 5 mg of Norvasc and 25 of HCTZ. I just went on HCTZ about a week ago and it seems to be helping a bit. Anyone got any advice? Thx...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2004, 08:33 AM   #2
Inactive

Random2 HB User
Re: Afraid to work

Relax & do something that won't bring you a lot of stress. I have a stressful job & my B/P on the weekends can be 106/56, but during the week after work it will be higher. The less you focus on it, the better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2004, 08:47 AM   #3

Gatormom HB User

It's also possible that what you were doing job-wise had nothing at all to do with beginning to have hypertension. It's like women who say cleaning the bath tub "caused" them to go into labor.... when in fact they only happened to be cleaning when labor began. Stress is a factor, yes, but to blame working for causing your high BP is probably over-simplifying the cause. I wonder - - and please don't be angry - - if this is somewhat of an excuse to not get a job? Try to eat well and get some exercise and have a healthy lifestyle in general - for sure don't smoke - and if needed, lose weight. (Yeah, easy for ME to say!) I wish you well.

Old 11-29-2004, 10:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Current research does not indicate a high stress situation or job causes high blood pressure. Stress can raise your bp for sure, but it doesn't cause hypertension. Hypertension is elevated blood pressure when you are in a relaxed state - your baseline bp.

Take a class or get a book on relaxation techniques to help you not get so stressed out in difficult situations. And try to find a job that is less stressful for you than that fast food job you had.

Old 12-09-2004, 08:51 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

stormy78 HB User

Thanks for the replies. I actually start a new job at a gas station today. I don't think it'll be as bad as a fast food job. I appreciate your comments and advice. Thank you!

Old 12-09-2004, 08:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Good luck with your new job! And try not to get too stressed out over it.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:09 AM   #7
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Good luck!!! Think positive thoughts when you get stressed.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:22 AM   #8

Gatormom HB User

The very best of luck with the new job, Stormy! Give yourself a couple of weeks to get used to the new routine; you'll be fine! God bless.

Closed Thread