It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2004, 01:36 AM   #1
(male)

mondago123 HB User
Unhappy high BP systolic 140-147,Head Pressure,Small Nose Bleeds,heart murmur

I am a 23 year old male pretty active! jog every night for the last 3 weeks before that played basketball every night for like a couple years!! always have been activeand energetic!!i recently checked my BP for no reason other than nose bleeds and little off balance(which soon was diagnosed as "vertigo")!!my reading was 135/73and i got a lil nervous and then i walked around the store for like 15 min and then on the way out i checked it again!!this time 145/86!!at this time i never really new much about BP and thought overall i was pretty healthy considering i quit smoking and drinking 4 years ago!! I only smoked for 2 years and i drank occasionally for 2 years!!so since my sudden increase, i went to an urgent care and i went for dizziness!! I was sent home with sinisitus and a case of vertigo!!Could my BPbe high from a sinus infection and/or vertigo? I do also get blood in my snot all the time!!my friend is a LPN and she said i may have a Deviated Septum which is in the nose congestion causing head pressure!! i dont know if i have it but could this cause high BP? well i appreciate the advise or feedback!!! i also have a iregular heart beat or heart murmur!!!i was diagnosed at 14 and i still to this day may have it!!!i am in need of a check-up i have not had one since the age of 14!!!!! well thanks a lot

shane

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2004, 03:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: high BP systolic 140-147,Head Pressure,Small Nose Bleeds,heart murmur

Mondago,

I think you went and scared yourself silly for no good reason regarding your blood pressure!

A) 135/73 after walking around in a public place is actually not a bad reading at all.
You then got anxious, so naturally your next reading was higher!

B) You say you went and walked around the second time for about 15 minutes...did you wait and REST for at LEAST 15 minutes before taking your BP again? My guess is that you didn't.

C) Any infection can elevate the blood pressure temporarily.

D) Those public BP monitors in stores can be very inaccurate especially if batteries are low.

E) Not sure what you mean by "irregular" heartbeat/murmur. If you feel a "skip" now and then, this is relatively common and usually totally benign. Just upsetting and/or irritating.

F) If you have true sinusitis, this can cause the dizziness plus you would need antibiotics.

Might as well kill 16 birds with 2 stones and get a full physical to check ears/nose/throat and to get a proper baseline on your heart and the rest of you(!)

My guess is that as an exercising 23-year-old who is also non-smoking, non-drinking, and in general an energetic guy, you'll pass with flying colors!!!

zuzu xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2004, 07:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

After walking around the store for 15 minutes 145/86 is a good reading! The numbers doctors usually refer to are resting blood pressures. Think about it. When you go to the doctor, you usually have to sit around the waiting room for half and hour to an hour and a half before you go into the exam room. And you only walk a short distance to get there. It is measurements comparable to this that the doctor would normally be most concerned about.

About the nose bleeds, if you are referring to occasional streaks of blood in the mucus and not full-fledged nose bleeds, sometimes one gets these, too, if you spend a lot of time in a room where the air is too dry. Low humidity is common in heated rooms during the winter.

Old 11-29-2004, 08:31 AM   #4
Inactive

Random2 HB User

After walking around the store for 15 minutes 145/86 is a good reading! The numbers doctors usually refer to are resting blood pressures. Think about it. When you go to the doctor, you usually have to sit around the waiting room for half and hour to an hour and a half before you go into the exam room. And you only walk a short distance to get there. It is measurements comparable to this that the doctor would normally be most concerned about.

That is the worst part for me. I have white-coat so it increases my anxiety. They get a Nurse Practicioner to take your b/p after taking your weight & then immediately take your B/P.... sometimes standing up. I don't think that a doctors office is an accurate place to have your b/p taken.

Old 11-29-2004, 10:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Listen to Zuzu8. Sounds like you have a sinus infection. For that you need antibiotics and to get them you have to go to a doctor. If you haven't had a complete check up since you were 14, it is high time you do.

Most likely your higher bp readings are due to stress and being sick. Go see a doctor.

Closed Thread