It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2004, 07:02 PM   #1

DAnn73 HB User
Another Toprol question!

Hi everyone,
I'm one of those who wants to get off of Toprol. I've been taking it for about 2 1/2 years now and I just can't handle the side effects anymore! I talked to my doctor and she switched me to Lisinopril 20/12.5. She didn't mention anything about tapering off of Toprol, which is pretty standard, from everything I've read on here. Not only that, but I've been on 200 mg of Toprol all of this time, so I'm worried that I'll have some side effects from just stopping it all at once and starting with the new medication.

I know several of you have had side effects while tapering off of Toprol, and especially at this higher dose (200 mg), I'm really worried at what might happen when I stop! Is it okay to just stop it and start with the Lisinopril? I'm planning to talk to my doctor again, but I just thought I'd ask you all for your input. I'm just so tired of the Toprol and what it does to the body! Ugh! I'd appreciate any advice!

Thank You!

Old 11-28-2004, 07:46 PM   #2
Inactive

vipergg22 HB User
Re: Another Toprol question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAnn73
Hi everyone,
I'm one of those who wants to get off of Toprol. I've been taking it for about 2 1/2 years now and I just can't handle the side effects anymore! I talked to my doctor and she switched me to Lisinopril 20/12.5. She didn't mention anything about tapering off of Toprol, which is pretty standard, from everything I've read on here. Not only that, but I've been on 200 mg of Toprol all of this time, so I'm worried that I'll have some side effects from just stopping it all at once and starting with the new medication.

I know several of you have had side effects while tapering off of Toprol, and especially at this higher dose (200 mg), I'm really worried at what might happen when I stop! Is it okay to just stop it and start with the Lisinopril? I'm planning to talk to my doctor again, but I just thought I'd ask you all for your input. I'm just so tired of the Toprol and what it does to the body! Ugh! I'd appreciate any advice!

Thank You!

I lasted 2 weeks on that stuff on a lower dose and had to get off it , totally drained me and lowered my pulse into the low 40's . I just stopped it but I would ask your doctor , if you don't I would gradually decrease the dose over a couple of weeks .

Last edited by vipergg22; 11-28-2004 at 07:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2004, 01:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

DAnn,

Where'd your doctor get her degree? The Copacabana School of Medicine?

Generally the longer you've been on beta blockers, the longer you need to taper....so your body can flush them out of your system gradually without too many rebound effects like anxiety, increased (can you spell R-A-C-I-N-G?) heartbeat, spiking BP,etc etc.

My suggestions are not a substitute for an experienced doctor's opinion, but it seems to me, given that you've been on 200 mg, you'd do better by going MUCH easier .... taking a half dose (100mg) for a week, then try 50mg every day for a week and then drop down to 25mg a day (OR every other day) for a third week and then stop, of course monitoring your BP and heart rate all the way.

Your doctor may disagree with my particular 'Plan" but shouldn't by any means argue with you about SOME kind of weaning process.

If she does balk (and I have no reason to think that she won't!) then she doesn't understand beta blockade!

Basically, beta blockers block the receptors for catecholamines (e.g. the fight or flight hormones like adrenaline and noradrenaline).

The adrenal glands react by making even more of these hormones.
When you suddenly stop the blockade, all these extra hormones attatch to receptors all at once and WHAMO .... you get hit with an adrenaline (etc) surge and the possibility of the rebound symptoms I mentioned above.

zuzu xxx

P.S. Sometime during or maybe even toward the end of the wean, it seems reasonable to THEN introduce the Lisinopril..not sure. It all depends what happens to your #s during the process.

Last edited by zuzu8; 12-01-2004 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Added a P.S.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:03 AM   #4
Inactive

Jack51 HB User

Whoa thar! Your doc is ##$*&%#

Lisinopril is an ace inhibitor, and will not help the nasty, and very dangerous effects from stopping the Toprol abruptly!

Let me tell you a story

Last May I lost a lot of weight, and was totally tired of the side effects of beta blockers (atenolol for me), such as ED and fatigue. I had been taking them for ~ 1 year, and figured the weight loss would lower my BP (what a dumb*** I was). My doc had never warned me, nor had I ever heard about the danger of stopping beta blockers abruptly. Well after stopping atenolol for about 4 days, I started having these very strange headaches with some slight visual disturbances. I had a routine appointment with a urologist, after about the 8th day into doing w/o the med. The nurse checked my BP, and it was 180/115, and I felt like hell. My pulse rate was 110. The doc came in and I told him that I had stopped atenolol. He told me that I should start back on the med immediately. They found a dose of it, made me take it and shot me up with valium. He demanded that I see my cardiologist that day.

Well about 5 weeks later, I had a heart attack and a stroke, even though I started back that day on the atenolol. Maybe it would have happened anyway, I don't know. I am just glad to be here

Old 11-29-2004, 07:27 AM   #5
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Jack,

I'm sorry to hear that! How old are you? Atenolol & the beta-blockers have been terrible for me (the side-effects) at 34. I have never had a stroke or a heart attack & don't know why they are prescribed 1st for blood pressure. I agree with what you say.

It seems that a lot of people get high readings at the doctor. I don't care what they say. I think that is common. What I want to know is why they don't warn you that you will have a weaning process if you get off of the beta-blockers.

Old 11-29-2004, 08:00 AM   #6
Inactive

Jack51 HB User

Hi Lillian (I'll forget the axe, lol)

I am almost 52. The readings that I gave from the doctors office that day, were not due to the white coat syndrome. I have never had that to occur. I can asure you that I was very sick. I didn't go into great detail, but I had 2 transient ischemic attacks (TIA's) during that week. Real classic ones. Each lasted for ~ 20 minutes, and occured on different days. A very strange, numbing type of headache (I know where the term "numbskull" came from), with loss of vision in the center portion of my visual field. My consciousness was altered completely, during these attacks. I felt very far away and out of touch with reality. I had no idea what they were, and didn't realize they precede many strokes due to blockages of small arteries in the brain.

Beta blockers are extremely important for heart attack survivors and people with heart disease. They keep us alive. All heart attacks do some amount of damage to the heart. Beta blockers reduce the load on the heart. They slow down the rate of the heart beat and reduce the force of the heart beat. This helps a less than perfect heart live longer. They are truly life savers, but they come with a cost. They reduce the circulation of blood within our bodies. This can be felt first in the extremities. Some get cold and sometimes numb hands and feet. It's quite natural if you study how the drug works.

I think that a doctor should require 2 things when he gives a prescription for beta blockers; 1) That the person be made to exercise to counteract the reduced blood circulation that is going to happen, once the person starts to take the drug and, 2) A warning to not stop taking the drug abruptly, because that can cause heart attacks and strokes. This FACT is documented in the prescribing information for the drug.

Have a great day

Old 11-29-2004, 08:46 AM   #7

DAnn73 HB User

Wow everyone, thanks for responding and the great advice! Up until this blood pressure fiasco, I thought I had a great doctor, but lately I'm wondering!

Vipergg, Thanks for you advice. I hate the side effects too, and I can't believe I've lasted on the Toprol for so long.

Zuzu, Thanks for the great advice! I agree with your "schedule" of tapering off, and I'll have to eventually call the doctor. I have 200 mg tablets, so cutting them in half will obviously give me the 100 mg, but after that I'll have to get a new Rx. I thank you for your advice and your terrific explanation of what Toprol does and what happens when you stop abruptly!

Jack, Thanks for your story as well! I'm sorry you had so much trouble, but happy to hear you're doing okay. Ironically enough, I was put on BP medication after I lost 60 pounds and had stopped smoking. Go figure!!! Anyway, my main complaint with Toprol is that not only did I gain that 60 pounds back, but I'm always out of breath and sooooo tired that I can't find the energy to exercise! How did you manage to lose the weight AND be on the beta blocker at the same time? I used to do my Tae Bo every day - 7 days a week....but with the Toprol I get winded just walking around the block!!!

I'm very unhappy with the Toprol, but I'm almost afraid that I can't get away from it. The side effects are horrible, but they're even worse when you try to stop! It's a vicious cycle I feel I can't get out of. Thanks again everyone, I appreciate it!

DAnn

Old 11-29-2004, 09:05 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

If you look on the internet at every site describing beta blockers, they ALL say do not stop this medication abruptly, as that rebound hypertension can occur with serious complications. I am really amazed your doctor would tell you just to stop taking the drug. If you had been on 25 mg for a month, maybe, but 200 mg a day for over 2 years?!? You definately have to wean down.

I took toprol XL for 3 months. I went up to 100 mg a day at 50 mg morning and 50 mg evening. I developed increased bp in the evenings, and bp and pulse spikes. I also had slight nausea and diarrhea. It got to the point that anything I ate seemed to cause some negative reaction. I actually lost 5 pounds in one week because I could hardly eat anything in any quantitiy. I tapered off to 50 mg for a week, then to 25 mg a week, then tried to stop. This didn't work. I had some rebound and a racinging heart rate. I had to go to 12.5 mg every other day for about 4 days. Even now a month later I still occasionally have some pulse racing and minor blood pressure spikes I attribute to Toprol after effects. All this after using a smaller dosage than you for only 3 months.

I'm not trying to scare you, just adding my voice to everyone else's saying you have to get off this drug gradually. Monitor your bp while you wean and adjust your pace accordingly. Not sure about when you should add in your new drug. You should probably get a doctor's opinion on that.

Old 11-29-2004, 06:31 PM   #9
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

My doctor gave me Toprol. It is 50mg. I took it for just one day and I felt really strange. I stopped it when back to Altace the next day. Could that have been bad for my heart or did I not take it long enough?? Even though I only took Toprol for 1 day I felt like my heart was being mechanically controlled and it was beating very slow. I dont like Toprol at all!!!

Last edited by FrontierDriver2; 11-29-2004 at 06:35 PM.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:19 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

FrontierDriver,

No need to worry..... quitting Toprol after only one day is okay. Your body probably didn't even know you'd taken it yet!!

zuzu xx

Last edited by zuzu8; 11-29-2004 at 07:21 PM.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:44 PM   #11
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

Your probably right, but I certainly didnt feel as good the day I took Toprol. I've had good luck with Altace, unlike most people. I really hate to quit taking it for something I dont need.

Old 11-30-2004, 06:33 AM   #12
Inactive

Random2 HB User

I think that a doctor should require 2 things when he gives a prescription for beta blockers; 1) That the person be made to exercise to counteract the reduced blood circulation that is going to happen, once the person starts to take the drug and, 2) A warning to not stop taking the drug abruptly, because that can cause heart attacks and strokes. This FACT is documented in the prescribing information for the drug.

Thanks! I agree, but for a 34 year old with white-coat syndrome would a beta blocker like Atenolol be appropriate???? All of my EKG's have been fine, as well as my chest xray. I don't feel pain in my heart & don't get headaches. It just seems like a strange course of action for me. I am going to wean off of the Atenolol slowly in time. There are too many side-effects for me. For people who suffered a heart attack or are candidates for a stroke or a heart attack I would agree with you. Beta-Blockers actually make me lose my appetite & I have gone from 158 to 148-150 or so on B/P meds. I am also taking 100 MGS, why? I don't know. I am miserable on the B/P meds., but I understand why some people need the beta blockers.

Old 11-30-2004, 09:47 AM   #13

lisaa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAnn73
Hi everyone,

Thank You!
Please be careful when weaning off toprol. My story.....I was on toprol for over 1 year and weaned off in 4 days. I was taking 50mg a day. I was then switched to verapamil and within a day had 1st degree blockage. Although I am not sure exactly what that means but the fact that I am only 31 years old was very alarming to me. Weaning should be done over about 2 weeks, not 2-5 days. Just be careful and talk to your dr.

Old 11-30-2004, 10:37 AM   #14
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Agreed! It isn't a race. Take your time & wean off of it slowly. I hated that drug, just as I hate Atenolol.

Old 12-01-2004, 09:41 PM   #15

DAnn73 HB User

Thanks again to everyone who responded. I'm planning on calling my doc tomorrow, although I might just ask for another prescription of Toprol. I hate the side effects, but the process of getting off of it seems just as bad!

Like I mentioned, my biggest complaint is being so tired and winded all the time. Is there anyone out there who is on a beta blocker and can actually exercise and eliminate this crappy feeling? It's just so depressing to be on it, but even more so to think of the problems getting off of it, especially at my high dose.

But again, thanks to everyone who replied. I filled my new prescription (Lisinopril) and it's just sitting on the counter!! Maybe I'll get some answers when I call the doc tomorrow! I can hope!

DAnn

Closed Thread